News 2017 St Kilda in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

He really seems very desperate for a story...any story.

I may have missed some announcement...but why is he interviewing Jim O'Dea....

All that will do is bring up very ugly memories of that game at Moorabbin in 1972.
Think VDS66 was just taking the piss about Purple digging up another "old negative story"..

Yeah but the by the same token. We need to accept that petracca is at least... Reasonable.
Capture.png

Hmmm

Geez this just underlines how underrated Billings is. There's a circle jerk over Bont and Petracca and even Fantasia, in the media circles.
But Billings has statistically had a better season then all of them. Apart from goal kicking. Which would have been better had he kicked straight.

Think VDS66 was just taking the piss about Purple digging up another "old negative story"..
Well Snake....he certainly got me in hook,line and the proverbial sinker.

I just couldn't fathom why Barrett would be doing that unless there was a re union or something.

Looking at it as you say...that's very funny by VDS66.

I understand Petracca is dramatic and flash with his contested possessions and efficiency passing into the F50 or kicking for goal, if billings had kicked straight he'd be AA.
Melbourne suits Petracca with all the figjam and soft media coverage. Watching McGregor after the fight gave me flash backs of Gawn talking about Longer.

Well Snake....he certainly got me in hook,line and the proverbial sinker.

I just couldn't fathom why Barrett would be doing that unless there was a re union or something.

Looking at it as you say...that's very funny by VDS66.
Yeah i can understand your confusion mate.
Your probably used to VDS66 being annoying, grumpy,ridiculous and self righteous . So the humour was a shock:eek:

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And then we drop him and play Lonie. WTF

We obviously wanted to play a forward. Surely you understand they play in different positions. Next you will be wanting 4 ruckman to play because you think they are better than geary Gilbert and Lonie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

528984-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

First time I've seem one of those goodbye boys type speeches, pretty emotional.

I remember walking to Etihad to watch a match some months after Joey was drafted with all my Saints gear on, some random walking the other way shouted out to me that his mate Leigh Montagna was going to be a star for us. He wasn't wrong as it turned out.

Goodbye Joey, you were great for the team and the club for so many years. Stay a Saint at heart.

Last edited:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/09/02/wasted-year-saints/

A wasted year for the Saints?

By Pat Hornidge, 2 Sep 2017

I read, perhaps mistakenly, this week’s ‘Sliding Doors’ by Damien Barrett. His claim was that, for St Kilda, 2017 was a waste and therefore a failure.

While I am surprisingly tempted to agree with him, I still cannot see this season as a complete waste. After the relative success of last year the minimum expectation this year would have been to play finals.

So that makes this season a failure. But, looking a little deeper, this season has been of so much importance to the team, and was far from a wasted year – in fact it could be the making of this club.

This was clearly a season of transition, or at least became one for St Kilda. A transition away from the final players from 2010, to the new team and players that will form the heart of the saints for the next decade.

With Nick Riewoldt and Leigh Montanga retiring, and their output lowering beyond their elite peaks, other players have had to step up and take responsibility. And, a lot of the younger players have. Jack Billings and Luke Dunstan have had consistent years, after a lot of questions were asked about them last year, and even during this season.

Jade Gresham has cemented his spot. Jake Carlisle down back has been a revelation, and has provided what St Kilda has been missing for years.

Jarryn-Geary-St-Kilda-Saints-AFL-2017.jpg

(Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Media/Getty Images)

Jack Steele has provided everything that would have been asked of him, providing great midfield pressure, and being clean with his disposal. Yet another Jack, Sinclair, has been underrated on the wing, with some putting his performance in near elite categories. It is around these players that the future of the club will be built.

I read, perhaps mistakenly, this week’s ‘Sliding Doors’ by Damien Barrett. His claim was that, for St Kilda, 2017 was a waste and therefore a failure.
It's a great read...thx for posting.

There's a good summary of our year and general situation going forward on AFL.com.au.

Under the banner of "Missing" and "missing September".

The article lists all clubs who failed to make the 8.

The author's opinion is that our Flag window is between 2019-2023.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-03/missing-september-whats-next-for-your-club

Draft picks:
7, 8, 43, 57, 61

Delistings: A couple of rookies are gone, with defender Nick Coughlan and New Zealand native Joe Baker-Thomas not offered new contracts. Jason Holmes and Nick O'Kearney have reason to be nervous after neither played in the senior side this season. Jack Lonie is out-of-contract and while he dominated as a midfielder in the VFL, he struggled for impact at the top level.

Retirees: Sean Dempster finished up earlier in the season after concussion concerns, Nick Riewoldt's knees wouldn’t allow him to consistently play at a high standard any longer and Leigh Montagna announced he was done last Wednesday.

Medical room: The Saints expect Paddy McCartin to have completely overcome his concussion issues by day one of pre-season, and Nathan Freeman (right ankle) is in the same situation. Key backman Hugh Goddard is on track to be back in full training by Christmas, if not before then, after he had surgery on his right foot in June. Inside midfielder David Armitage has been hampered by groin problems and while he should be back for day one of pre-season, his workload will be slightly limited. Nathan Wright will be on a modified program as he works to overcome an ankle injury.

Free agents unsigned: Nil

Best and fairest: Peninsula, Docklands. Friday, October 6, 7pm (tickets here)

The coach: Alan Richardson is contracted for 2018 and the Saints have said they're keen to extend his tenure. Next season will be pivotal though. In his fifth season in charge, Richardson would want more consistency and straighter goalkicking from his group as it attempts to make finals for the first time under his watch.

Footy staff: If St Kilda lands Josh Kelly, everyone involved in the recruiting pitch will be in line for a pay rise. After an excellent run with injuries last year, there were a few more problems in 2017, but overall the fitness staff did a reasonable job. Goalkicking was largely looked after by Ben McGlynn and needs to improve.

Off-field health: The membership grew to a record 42,095, which was more than 4,000 up from last year. Construction has begun at Moorabbin, with the club on track to start moving from Seaford in early 2018.

Premiership window: 2019-2023

Need: An injection of speed and class in the midfield. There are plenty of grunt players around the footy but St Kilda needs other players to offer a point of difference.

Pre-season starts: 1st-4th year players back November 8, the rest on November 20. - Dinny Navaratnam

There's 2 very good articles in us in this mornings theroar.com.au.

One is on list management and trade period/draft analysis.....the other a season review.

The lengthy article on our list management is excellent.

It certainly does give hope for the future.

I personally find the articles on roar much more insightful than other sites.......they usually cut the fluff and go to "the bones" of things.

Great site !

Last edited:
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-04/new-twoyear-deal-for-kiwiborn-saint

New two-year deal for Kiwi-born Saint
Marc McGowan
September 4, 2017 11:30 AM

533297-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Rowan Marshall made his AFL debut in round 18 this season

ST KILDA has rewarded New Zealand-born key-position prospect Rowan Marshall with a two-year contract.

The 21-year-old joined the Saints with pick 10 in last year's NAB AFL Rookie Draft after a striking VFL season for North Ballarat.

Marshall kicked 22 goals in 16 VFL games this season for Sandringham and impressed enough to be elevated to the senior list mid-year and earn an AFL debut against Sydney in round 18.

The 201cm ruck-forward, who has also spent time in defence, won 14 disposals and had five hit-outs that night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back