List Mgmt. 2017 Starting 22 | + Trimming the "fat"

Remove this Banner Ad

This would be my centre/forward line:

C: Weller Mundy Langdon/B Hill
HF: Bennell Apeness Fyfe
F: Walters McCarthy Yarran

I really like what I see from Apeness. He needs to work on his tank but there were several instances on the weekend where he was outnumbered but managed to bring the ball to ground. He also took a couple of solid marks. We need that intensity in the forward line. I actually really liked how Tanner Smith did that in the few games he played this season. Is it any coincidence that we played our best footy this year when he was in the side?

I am willing to put this season as an off year for Mundy with some injury niggles and some trialling of players in different positions. I want him to return to the centre square next season. We only need to rewatch our last 3-4 finals to see his impact there when in form.

This forward line actually would be new look, young and exciting.

Mines more a team for later in the season too and makes the big assumptions that we get McCarthy and SPS.

Backs: Tucker Collins Mundy
HB: Crozier Pearce SPS
C: Hill Barlow Sheridan
HF: Bennell Tabs Fyfe
F: Walters Ape McCarthy
R: Sandi Neale Blakely
Inter: Hughes Weller Balla Yarran
Emerg: Griff Langdon Spurr Dawson Balic

An end of season update;

Backs: Tucker Collins Balic
HB: Crozier Pearce Mundy
C: Hill Fyfe Sheridan
HF: Bennell McCarthy (?)Langdon
F: Walters Ape Yarran
R: Sandi Neale Weller
Inter: Blakely Hughes McCluggage Silva
Emerg: Tabs Griff Spurr Dawson

Langdon, Silva and Balic get promoted. Tabs demoted. Barlow and Balla get traded and I think we'll miss SPS but get McCluggage.

There is an obvious question mark over Langdon being here and I've left McCarthy in there but there should be a question mark on him too.

An end of season update;

Langdon, Silva and Balic get promoted. Tabs demoted. Barlow and Balla get traded and I think we'll miss SPS but get McCluggage.

There is an obvious question mark over Langdon being here and I've left McCarthy in there but there should be a question mark on him too.

Interesting team. The backline however is so inexperienced it would be very unlikely especially if you can call on Dawson, Silvagni and Johnson - I don't see Collins keeping any of those 3 out this early in his career.

This would be my centre/forward line:

C: Weller Mundy Langdon/B Hill
HF: Bennell Apeness Fyfe
F: Walters McCarthy Yarran

I really like what I see from Apeness. He needs to work on his tank but there were several instances on the weekend where he was outnumbered but managed to bring the ball to ground. He also took a couple of solid marks. We need that intensity in the forward line. I actually really liked how Tanner Smith did that in the few games he played this season. Is it any coincidence that we played our best footy this year when he was in the side?

I am willing to put this season as an off year for Mundy with some injury niggles and some trialling of players in different positions. I want him to return to the centre square next season. We only need to rewatch our last 3-4 finals to see his impact there when in form.

This forward line actually would be new look, young and exciting.

I actually forgot that that Fyfe was meant to spend more time in full forward this year before... Well everything.

Depending on the strength and fitness of our midfield next year such an option might then become viable - Jesus we're in a good position to really do well if we get our ducks lined up in a row.

Interesting team. The backline however is so inexperienced it would be very unlikely especially if you can call on Dawson, Silvagni and Johnson - I don't see Collins keeping any of those 3 out this early in his career.
Experience will gain through time and more afl match instead of wafl.

I'm backing him in to improve with another preseason under his belt and a tighter team defence.

The other thing is, in my original post I said that it's more of a best 22 later in 2017 rather than round 1. I expect Dawson, Spurr, DP, Tabs etc to be playing round 1. Maybe even Suban!

I'm backing him in to improve with another preseason under his belt and a tighter team defence.

The other thing is, in my original post I said that it's more of a best 22 later in 2017 rather than round 1. I expect Dawson, Spurr, DP, Tabs etc to be playing round 1. Maybe even Suban!
Suban ;)

For what it's worth, I saw Balic and Barlow grabbing a coffee together in Freo last week. He's definitely taller than the 187cm he was originally listed at, was certainly the taller of the two. Didn't look outsized by Barlow either, has noticeably added some size in the gym whilst in rehab.

I'm confident that if we can resolve the scaphoid injury, we have a real player on our hands. He was rated highly as a junior for a reason. As I understand it, it was the nature and uncertainty of his injury it primarily what saw him slide to us as 38, not an issue of talent.

Right now I think Blakely and Balic would be the natural big-bodied successors to Mundy and Barlow.

If Bennell gets fit and we drag in Brad Hill...and Fyfe is playing some time forward....I'd be keeping michael Barlow for another two years just quietly.

Getting hands on the ball with Neale, Barlow, Blakely, Mundy and Stephen Hill will be really important to release those runner

Mayne Apeness Yarran
Walters Tabs Langdon

Dangerous forward line.
(I'll conceed Mayne is unlikely to be there even though he should be)

So just going with 1 ruckman all year?

-Mayne, +Ruckman and you pretty much nailed it.

An end of season update;

So just going with the 1 tall forward who doesn't even play for us?

Because I assume Apeness is your resting ruck.

If Bennell gets fit and we drag in Brad Hill...and Fyfe is playing some time forward....I'd be keeping michael Barlow for another two years just quietly.

Getting hands on the ball with Neale, Barlow, Blakely, Mundy and Stephen Hill will be really important to release those runner

I'd be keeping him no matter one - he's our only bonafide guts ball-winner.

For what it's worth, I saw Balic and Barlow grabbing a coffee together in Freo last week. He's definitely taller than the 187cm he was originally listed at, was certainly the taller of the two. Didn't look outsized by Barlow either, has noticeably added some size in the gym whilst in rehab.

I'm confident that if we can resolve the scaphoid injury, we have a real player on our hands. He was rated highly as a junior for a reason. As I understand it, it was the nature and uncertainty of his injury it primarily what saw him slide to us as 38, not an issue of talent.
QUOTE]

Taller than Barlow - wow that's exciting. Big bodied midfielders are the way to go, you could never go back to the Bell, small Carr, Schammer line ups if you want to compete.

Right now I think Blakely and Balic would be the natural big-bodied successors to Mundy and Barlow.[/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now I think Blakely and Balic would be the natural big-bodied successors to Mundy and Barlow.

This is another reason why Barlow should be traded.

Funnily enough Fyfe was listed at 187cm when he was first drafted. Then he grew four centimetres and put on a ton of muscle to basically be key position size a year or two later. Harley Ballic was also a skinny kid who looks to have put on a ton of muscle and judging from the above has also grown. His return last week was the best news for the year. If I remember right Balic was also a terrific high jumper. It could potentially be a nightmare match up with both pushing forward of the play against opposition mids into the forward fifty.

Balic does look good with his size , consider he is out for roughly a year. I still think about how he play when postie talk about him . Maybe just peel reserve ,but what impress me is he dont rush his kick much.

Last edited:
Funnily enough Fyfe was listed at 187cm when he was first drafted. Then he grew four centimetres and put on a ton of muscle to basically be key position size a year or two later. Harley Ballic was also a skinny kid who looks to have put on a ton of muscle and judging from the above has also grown. His return last week was the best news for the year. If I remember right Balic was also a terrific high jumper. It could potentially be a nightmare match up with both pushing forward of the play against opposition mids into the forward fifty.
How tall is he? Could he play as a Third tall back?

After assessing further I think Balic will be more useful as a half forward than as a half back now. He is very good at finding space to receive (he has a great mark on him) and then is patient with his distribution inside 50 or to draw pressure to allow someone else to deliver i50 effectively. Having him and Bennell as half forwards and Stephen and Brad Hill (in 2018) on the wings would do wonders for our inside 50 efficiency imo. McCarthy, Apeness, Yarran and Walters as marking targets and another small forward in the mix and future forward line is almost sorted.

Was really impressed with Weller off half back in the first quarter. His run through the middle was really good. Crozier, Weller and Tucker seems like some good skills to have in our back half?

Balic and his family were invited to the draft night, only likely top 20 picks actually go to the night.

We may have the bargain of the draft here with him spending time in rehab with Fyfe, Sandi and Johnson means a good grounding of the club and its expectations. Looking forward to seeing him playing in the NAB

Cal Twomey had Balic at pick 17 and Tucker at 23 in his phantom draft just prior to selections (his top 10 is almost spot on) . That wrist pushed him way down to 38, our patience might just pay off in spades

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-24/callum-twomeys-2015-phantom-draft

Last edited:
Jeepers just looked at some photos of him from when he was drafted compared to now. The boy is going to be a monster. Must have been on the Same thigh program as Fyfe.

Balic and his family were invited to the draft night, only likely top 20 picks actually go to the night.

We may have the bargain of the draft here with him spending time in rehab with Fyfe, Sandi and Johnson means a good grounding of the club and its expectations. Looking forward to seeing him playing in the NAB

Cal Twomey had Balic at pick 17 and Tucker at 23 in his phantom draft just prior to selections (his top 10 is almost spot on) . That wrist pushed him way down to 38, our patience might just pay off in spades

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-24/callum-twomeys-2015-phantom-draft

I'd say Twomey's rating at 17 was after the wrist info was taken into consideration too. I'm going by memory which is dangerous but I'm sure in his earlier phantoms Cal had him just outside the top 10.

I'd say Twomey's rating at 17 was after the wrist info was taken into consideration too. I'm going by memory which is dangerous but I'm sure in his earlier phantoms Cal had him just outside the top 10.
Late 2014 I am almost certain Twomey had him top 5 and I recall him being that even during early 2015. The wrist thing is definitely the reason he slid - I can't believe we got him so late - it's a double win because like Neale he'll appreciate us taking him when every other club had the opportunity to. Burton was a bit the same with his injury, and the Hawks pounced before our first pick :(

Late 2014 I am almost certain Twomey had him top 5 and I recall him being that even during early 2015. The wrist thing is definitely the reason he slid - I can't believe we got him so late - it's a double win because like Neale he'll appreciate us taking him when every other club had the opportunity to. Burton was a bit the same with his injury, and the Hawks pounced before our first pick :(

He was certainly a top 5 call early days. You can still read the early threads under the phantom drafts pages.
Just kept sliding due to the wrist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back