Remove this Banner Ad

Spurr Dawson Johnson (Collins)
Mundy A.Pearce Ibbotson

D.Pearce Fyfe Hill

Ballantyne Hogan Walters
Yarran McCarthy Apeness (Clarke)

Sandilands Neale Bennel

Weller Blakely Crozier Barlow

If we did sign Hogan I would be happy to see if we could go in to next season and give it a crack with this team. Biggest question marks on Johnson and Apeness.

Yeah true. Bennell can play inside, but he's not true inside.
I'd 100% play Barlow but only if he plays inside mid and then Fyfe can play forward.
I'd move Weller to bench, Hill to Middle and Barlow following. Hughes or Balic come out of best 22.
I think we're also trying to see if Walters and Hill can give us more inside.
We'll be able to see over next few weeks anyway with no Barlow or Fyfe.

Your team certainly does highlight the outside mid/half forward talent we have coming through, I think we're going to have a multitude of goal kicking options unlike the handful we have now. Should make for some unpredictable and hard to combat footy.

Mines more a team for later in the season too and makes the big assumptions that we get McCarthy and SPS.

Backs: Tucker Collins Mundy
HB: Crozier Pearce SPS
C: Hill Barlow Sheridan
HF: Bennell Tabs Fyfe
F: Walters Ape McCarthy
R: Sandi Neale Blakely
Inter: Hughes Weller Balla Yarran
Emerg: Griff Langdon Spurr Dawson Balic

Ok I didn't realise Johnson was contracted until end of 2017. So slight adjustment to my team on reflection. Obviously if fit, he walks into best 22 all year.

FB - Collins Pearce Tucker
HB - Mundy Johnson Crozier
C - Weller Bennell Walters
HF - Taberner Fyfe McCarthy
FF - Ballantyne Apeness SPS
FOL - Sandilands Neale Hill
IC - Pearce (D), Blakely, Balic, Sheridan

Ok I didn't realise Johnson was contracted until end of 2017. So slight adjustment to my team on reflection. Obviously if fit, he walks into best 22 all year.

It's a good team, but my one issue is I don't see a lockdown defender in there ... how do we stop Eddie/Cyril when we've already shown weakness in this area this year.

It's a good team, but my one issue is I don't see a lockdown defender in there ... how do we stop Eddie/Cyril when we've already shown weakness in this area this year.

We don't let the ball down there!

Tucker would need to develop this side of his game. If it's not for him then Spurr, Sutcliffe or Grey get look ins, but I'd prefer to go with Tucker. If it was a GF tomorrow 4-5 of these guys aren't in the side.

We don't let the ball down there!

Tucker would need to develop this side of his game. If it's not for him then Spurr, Sutcliffe or Grey get look ins, but I'd prefer to go with Tucker. If it was a GF tomorrow 4-5 of these guys aren't in the side.
so the idea is Tucker develops into a more defensive player? Whilst I'm not opposed to that idea, I wouldn't want to see him lose any attacking flair from his game ...

so the idea is Tucker develops into a more defensive player? Whilst I'm not opposed to that idea, I wouldn't want to see him lose any attacking flair from his game ...

Well I think you need to have some accountability if playing in the defensive 6. With the team I put out you have Mundy, Crozier, Tucker as medium sized defenders. Then you have Collins, Pearce and Johnson. It's an exciting back 6 with only really Collins being your true shut down.

If you just expect that the ball will fall into the lap of Crozier and Tucker or they just spread away from the contest and hope to get the ball devlivered to them to then create, well we'll leak 100+ points every game next year.

Crozier could also attempt to play the small shutdown role if required. Basically my team is full of youngsters and with a priority on footskills. It's definitely lacking grunt across all lines and perhaps there needs to be a balance, but that would mean playing Barlow, Spurr or Grey and I don't see futures for them, so we simply need to challenge the good players to develop defensive skills. I think that's much easier then asking Grey to learn how to kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody stops those kinds of players. The way you stop them is stop the easy F50 entries and flood midfielders back so they have no space to work with in the forward line.

Only D Pearce, Mundy, Johnson, Ballas and Sandi won't be playing in 2019. I think we will have a chance of a flag in 2019 and 2020, if we can add 2-3 A graders to our side.

The good news is the quality of skills in our team looks very good on paper at least. A ready to go ruckmen are always available, I would love for us to have a big crack at Hurley, and then of course adding true A grade forward which McCarthy, Apeness and co can work around.

Let's hope Bond, Lloyd and co nail this draft.

Deadset hate Mundy off half back. Was a massive failure this year IMO. We need players who can break lines running the football out of defence. Not someone like Mundy.

Last edited:
Deadset hate Mundy off half back. Was a massive failure this year IMO. We need players who can break lines running the football out of defence. Not someone like Mundy.
He was tagged on half back against Adelaide because he was cutting the Crows up and it was going to win the game for us. Those 40m bullets to a free player up the ground were amazing.

We need more kicks like that there, a kicked ball moves faster than anybody we could draft to run it out.

But that is just my opinion.

He was tagged on half back against Adelaide because he was cutting the Crows up and it was going to win the game for us. Those 40m bullets to a free player up the ground were amazing.

We need more kicks like that there, a kicked ball moves faster than anybody we could draft to run it out.

I kind of disagree with it, i think mundy needed to go back to mid. His defending is never good. Once adelaide work out he is the extra men and close his space mundy did nothing good after that.

No drama, but in my opinion he had one and a bit good quarters playing in defence and the rest off the time his lack of ability to cover the ground at speed left our defence exposed in the air when he plays behind the play. I would much, much rather Crozier plays in a loose role and Mundy in the midfield

Last edited:
Spurr - Collins - Johnson
Crozier - A Pearce - Morabito
Bennell - Mundy - Hill
Walters - McCarthy - Weller
Yarran - Tabs - Apeness

Sandi - Fyfe - Neale

Barlow - Blakely - Langdon - Sherro

- If Mora doesn't come good then Hughes or Nyhuis take it.
- Hopefully McCarthy comes in as our 2nd tall to replace Pav.
- If we pick up Brad Hill who does he replace? I imagine it'll be Sherro/Langdon (whoever is part of the trade).
- If we pick SPS does he come straight into the side ahead of..... Langdon?
- Where does Tucker and Balic fit in all this?

I suppose injuries will decide somewhat.

My basic look at the core of the team is:

Most teams are going three talls up forward: land McCarthy and we have that with ape and tabs. The rest you raffle with the usual suspects. Big if is McCarthy getting him and whether he's actually ready after what would be nearly 18 months out of football.

Backline with two larger boys, shut down and three key kicks and reload players. Hill, mundy, crozier for me, with Dawson/Collins Pearce and spurr

Mids is where it all starts and adding sps to a fit bennel, blakely, neale, fyfe

Sandi obviously and if no McCarthy I actually prefer griffin more as a hale/Mcevoy type forward more than ruck

The rest the gaps wil be filled by those suitable but that's my core from what we know right now.

And by 'know' with SPS, that's purely bondy and co applying some basic intelligence to the analysis of the draft.... Surely

B Spurr Dawson Collins
HB Johnson Pearce Crosier
C Hill Mundy Hill
HF Bennell McCarthy Walters
FF Apeness Tabs Balla
R Sandi Neale Fyfe
Interchange from Blakely, Weller,Hughes, Barlow, Sheridan, Yarran, Tucker, Ballic ,Mora, Pearce plus the youngster we pick up with our early draft pick.
If the defence is top heavy Hughes or Sheridan for Dawson or Collins.
Being the eternal optimist that I am I can't see that side not making the finals.:)

B Spurr Dawson Collins
HB Johnson Pearce Crosier
C Hill Mundy Hill
HF Bennell McCarthy Walters
FF Apeness Tabs Balla
R Sandi Neale Fyfe
Interchange from Blakely, Weller,Hughes, Barlow, Sheridan, Yarran, Tucker, Ballic ,Mora, Pearce plus the youngster we pick up with our early draft pick.
If the defence is top heavy Hughes or Sheridan for Dawson or Collins.
Being the eternal optimist that I am I can't see that side not making the finals.:)
You lost me at Dawson :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back