2017 SuperCoach/DT/fantasy thread. Questions here! aka Rocky was tagging tonight, role may continue

Remove this Banner Ad

For a team that I'm assuming is going to be facing another development/transitional year I think we're loaded with delicious options for SC/DT, however I'll clarify that I only play SC so generally focus far more on a player's potential for scores in that game.

Beams is priced wonderfully and if you get 16 games from him at the output which we knows he's capable then you're laughing. Not a lot more to say. When fit he's as good a player out there. If he gets through the pre-season unscathed it's a no-brainer for me. Can't ignore.

Rocky I also think is priced very temptingly. There's question marks over his role and how he will react to losing the captaincy but he's in the best conditions I've ever seen him in, without the captaincy he should be free to focus solely on his football and with Beams fit (please) we hopefully get the chance to utilise him as a medium forward a little more. I know generally resting forward can be poison for fantasy football but I see it the exact opposite for Rockliff. He will still have plenty of midfield time and can rack up points at will through huge possessions numbers and tackling, however he's a genuinely dangerous forward that's quite difficult to match up on. Even if his possession average drops marginally due to time spent up forward you're almost certain to exceed the previous total points average through goals scored and assisted. He's currently sitting at 5% ownership in SC: that is insanely low for a player with his scoring ability. If a fit Rockliff is a POD, priced well and primed for a big year (whether to retain a spot or earn a decent FA contract is up for debate) then he becomes very difficult to resist.

Zorko, like all of 2016's highest scoring forwards, has lost his DPP. Despite this I've found myself still considering him as a midfield POD. Most of it is that I'm still not quite convinced we've seen the best of Zorko, despite coming off a career best year where he averaged 24 possessions, 6 tackles and a goal a game for average of 109 SC. He's durable, he kicks goals, racks up tackles and he's an important cog in our midfield being a point of difference that he's probably only guy we have there who can break lines. Despite all this there's a very good chance he's still likely to not be the first option for a tag. Even without Beams Zorko only received the hard tag once last year. He also represents a pretty safe pick in that whilst he does have huge scoring games his floor is actually quite high with only two scores under 90 last year (one of those scores being 86). I don't think there's a great deal of improvement left considering how good he was last year, win or loss, however as I said I think he still has room to grow and could easily push up to a 112-115 average by slotting a few more of those behinds through the big sticks or perhaps upping his possessions just a little. He'll be a ballsy pick in the midfield considering the other options around his price, but I think he's actually one of the safer PODs that represent a great return on investment.

Our other potential premo is Stef Martin. He's an iffy one for me but represent a potentially huge ROI. At his best and playing sole ruck he's the best mobile ruck currently in the game imo. Last year was obviously down due to being thuggishly concussed by May and the recently revealed persistent knee injury he carried through the 2016 season. If we're assuming he's our sole ruck and he's back at full fitness then there's a lot of potential to be getting an average of 105-110+ points a game for a player priced at 90. Depending on your structure then having him as either of your starting rucks could be a masterstroke. However, as our resident SC guru dlanod pointed out on the SC board there's a very real likelihood we look to the future and start pumping as many games into Archie Smith as possible. Whether Archie is rucking solely or even sharing the ruck it will impede Stef's scoring. Really need to monitor closely how he and Archie share the ruck responsibilities over the pre-season but if it looks likely that Stef is going to be getting the lion's share then at his price he could be a valuable pick that allows you to save a little in the ruck whilst still knocking out premo scores. Keep in mind though that as we are in a developmental position and Stef is dominating but the team is still losing, there's a chance Archie is still force fed games due to looking towards the future.

As for mid-priced options I think Tom Cutler down in defence is looming to break out. He has been building up his games played and his impact with every passing season and I think he offers a lot to the 22 and find it impossible not to include him with his attack from defense and ability to carry the ball and score goals. He averaged 82 for his last 10 games of last year which isn't a keeper but I'm confident he can increase that and can push to a high 80 - low 90 which is enough to be a D5 or D6. He is however awfully priced and there are a lot of more proven options around his price. He will be a risk but if you're absolutely set on a structure but can't make it work without sacrificing in defence he's one to consider.

Long way to go yet but I think at this stage based on our supporters and our coach's own words I McCluggage looks likely to feature early and based on what he showed as a junior he could score well. He's expensive for a rookie but playing as a HF that has an innate ability to find the footy and be in the right spot to receive for goal there's every chance he could go 70 - 80. Considering the options up forward this year that's a very good starting option that will carry you to one of the few definitive premo options at an acceptable rate. Monitor through the pre-season.

We will be significant players in fantasy again this year, but apart from Rocky and Beams, I think it's mostly it is the kids that will be significant - McCluggage, Berry, Cox and Allison, plus rookies like Barrett and maybe even Grewar....

Stef I will avoid, I think Archie will cut into at least some of his game time, plus he burnt me so bad last year.

Zorko probably if he gains FWD later in the year, but I hate his semi frequent odd 40 score games. Players like that can lose you winnable games week to week.

Christensen I'd like to, but injuries seem to follow him, so probably a no, although as a POD he could average 90 while he is on the park, so maybe money to make there. Robbo probably a no, not really enough upside there for the risk I think.

One to throw in the mix as a different possible - Tom Bell. Is a FWD, and did average almost 89 in 2015, and could even improve on that POSSIBLY. Priced at about 70. and with the lack of decent FWD's, he is worth at least considering....

We will be significant players in fantasy again this year, but apart from Rocky and Beams, I think it's mostly it is the kids that will be significant - McCluggage, Berry, Cox and Allison, plus rookies like Barrett and maybe even Grewar....

Stef I will avoid, I think Archie will cut into at least some of his game time, plus he burnt me so bad last year.

Zorko probably if he gains FWD later in the year, but I hate his semi frequent odd 40 score games. Players like that can lose you winnable games week to week.

Christensen I'd like to, but injuries seem to follow him, so probably a no, although as a POD he could average 90 while he is on the park, so maybe money to make there. Robbo probably a no, not really enough upside there for the risk I think.

One to throw in the mix as a different possible - Tom Bell. Is a FWD, and did average almost 89 in 2015, and could even improve on that POSSIBLY. Priced at about 70. and with the lack of decent FWD's, he is worth at least considering....

Christensen is a good one actually that I completely forgot. By all reports he's fit, vocal and we know he can be an excellent player, and a decent SC scorer, when on song. I'm still not sure what his role will be. I think his ability to win the ball and use it well is too valuable to not play in the midfield but I don't know where he'll spend the rest of his time.

He showed he can be very clean, efficient and creative off half back but likewise can score when played up forward, though I tend to think if we are to play him there persistently with our present set ups he needs to offer a lot more defensive pressure. Will definitely watch closely through the pre-season.

I'm going to investigate your pre-season thread, but I'll ask here as well.

Dayne Beams - how's his fitness?

edit: didn't have to look far on the pre-season thread haha - question answered!

Staying away from the likes of Stef and Robbo this year. Will Probably take Beams and Rocky and what ever kids are named round 1
Not sure staying away from Stef is the best idea. He's a proven scorer that is priced well below the gun ruckmen of the competition.

Hey guys,

wats the early thoughts on the new draftees and others yet to debut?

I see Barrett mentioned a bit but seems to be in some peoples best 22 but certainly not everyones. Is he more or less likely to be a player who gets games early?

How about Berry also?

McCluggage I assume will walk straight in but does he appear to be worth the price tag?

Hey guys,

I see Barrett mentioned a bit but seems to be in some peoples best 22 but certainly not everyones. Is he more or less likely to be a player who gets games early?

How about Berry also?

McCluggage I assume will walk straight in but does he appear to be worth the price tag?
According to Rocky, he thinks Corey Lyons has been the standout trainer. Barrett will probably feature early on, we haven't got many players like him.

Hey guys,

How about Berry also?

Depends if we have our usual horror run with injuries, they may all get a game!

Barrett is a rookie but we do have a long term injury list candidate in Sam Skinner so nothing to stop him being elevated. I think for all of the names you mentioned a lot will depend on how they go in the Pre-season games. I think McCluggage is likely to play plenty, but not sure how he will go in what will likely be another developmental type season for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a team that I'm assuming is going to be facing another development/transitional year I think we're loaded with delicious options for SC/DT, however I'll clarify that I only play SC so generally focus far more on a player's potential for scores in that game.

Beams is priced wonderfully and if you get 16 games from him at the output which we knows he's capable then you're laughing. Not a lot more to say. When fit he's as good a player out there. If he gets through the pre-season unscathed it's a no-brainer for me. Can't ignore.

Rocky I also think is priced very temptingly. There's question marks over his role and how he will react to losing the captaincy but he's in the best conditions I've ever seen him in, without the captaincy he should be free to focus solely on his football and with Beams fit (please) we hopefully get the chance to utilise him as a medium forward a little more. I know generally resting forward can be poison for fantasy football but I see it the exact opposite for Rockliff. He will still have plenty of midfield time and can rack up points at will through huge possessions numbers and tackling, however he's a genuinely dangerous forward that's quite difficult to match up on. Even if his possession average drops marginally due to time spent up forward you're almost certain to exceed the previous total points average through goals scored and assisted. He's currently sitting at 5% ownership in SC: that is insanely low for a player with his scoring ability. If a fit Rockliff is a POD, priced well and primed for a big year (whether to retain a spot or earn a decent FA contract is up for debate) then he becomes very difficult to resist.

Zorko, like all of 2016's highest scoring forwards, has lost his DPP. Despite this I've found myself still considering him as a midfield POD. Most of it is that I'm still not quite convinced we've seen the best of Zorko, despite coming off a career best year where he averaged 24 possessions, 6 tackles and a goal a game for average of 109 SC. He's durable, he kicks goals, racks up tackles and he's an important cog in our midfield being a point of difference that he's probably only guy we have there who can break lines. Despite all this there's a very good chance he's still likely to not be the first option for a tag. Even without Beams Zorko only received the hard tag once last year. He also represents a pretty safe pick in that whilst he does have huge scoring games his floor is actually quite high with only two scores under 90 last year (one of those scores being 86). I don't think there's a great deal of improvement left considering how good he was last year, win or loss, however as I said I think he still has room to grow and could easily push up to a 112-115 average by slotting a few more of those behinds through the big sticks or perhaps upping his possessions just a little. He'll be a ballsy pick in the midfield considering the other options around his price, but I think he's actually one of the safer PODs that represent a great return on investment.

Our other potential premo is Stef Martin. He's an iffy one for me but represent a potentially huge ROI. At his best and playing sole ruck he's the best mobile ruck currently in the game imo. Last year was obviously down due to being thuggishly concussed by May and the recently revealed persistent knee injury he carried through the 2016 season. If we're assuming he's our sole ruck and he's back at full fitness then there's a lot of potential to be getting an average of 105-110+ points a game for a player priced at 90. Depending on your structure then having him as either of your starting rucks could be a masterstroke. However, as our resident SC guru dlanod pointed out on the SC board there's a very real likelihood we look to the future and start pumping as many games into Archie Smith as possible. Whether Archie is rucking solely or even sharing the ruck it will impede Stef's scoring. Really need to monitor closely how he and Archie share the ruck responsibilities over the pre-season but if it looks likely that Stef is going to be getting the lion's share then at his price he could be a valuable pick that allows you to save a little in the ruck whilst still knocking out premo scores. Keep in mind though that as we are in a developmental position and Stef is dominating but the team is still losing, there's a chance Archie is still force fed games due to looking towards the future.

As for mid-priced options I think Tom Cutler down in defence is looming to break out. He has been building up his games played and his impact with every passing season and I think he offers a lot to the 22 and find it impossible not to include him with his attack from defense and ability to carry the ball and score goals. He averaged 82 for his last 10 games of last year which isn't a keeper but I'm confident he can increase that and can push to a high 80 - low 90 which is enough to be a D5 or D6. He is however awfully priced and there are a lot of more proven options around his price. He will be a risk but if you're absolutely set on a structure but can't make it work without sacrificing in defence he's one to consider.

Long way to go yet but I think at this stage based on our supporters and our coach's own words I McCluggage looks likely to feature early and based on what he showed as a junior he could score well. He's expensive for a rookie but playing as a HF that has an innate ability to find the footy and be in the right spot to receive for goal there's every chance he could go 70 - 80. Considering the options up forward this year that's a very good starting option that will carry you to one of the few definitive premo options at an acceptable rate. Monitor through the pre-season.

I haven't called my supercoach team "Culter beers thnx" for nothing!

Good write up.

Getting only 16 games out of one of your Mid Premos is not good value...Beams is a gun but you need him as close to 22 games as possible otherwise it can be the diff. between a SC loss or win.

Rocky looks in great nik. Skin folds all time low I'd say. Very close to a lock for me
Rocky is my first lock and this is without bias. He has a new lease on life and something to prove, add to that hes as fit as ever and we have a new coach to inspire.

Getting only 16 games out of one of your Mid Premos is not good value...Beams is a gun but you need him as close to 22 games as possible otherwise it can be the diff. between a SC loss or win.

He's not presently in my team but I disagree. I've got Fyfe in my team currently and whilst I'd astonished if he plays more than 18 I still see him as good value. I see Beams of the same ilk and he's priced even better. You'll get 110s for every game he plays, saving the roughly $200k to get a player of similar output could be the difference in your starting team. If you get better players in another area whilst still having sufficient coverage in the mids it make Beams a win. Of course it's all a moot point if he actually plays most of the season. If he does you're laughing.

I've got Martin and Beams at the moment. Can't bring myself to pull the trigger on Rockliff, even though he looks to be in great nick. I just wonder about whether his role will change this year and whether he might spend more time up forward / not be able to get into positions where he is just racking up meaningless SC points.

I have Bontempelli and Heppell in my team at the moment, not sure if that'll change. Heppell presents as decent value if he comes out firing. Not too sure about Bont though, he seemed to have periods last year where he struggled to insert himself into the game, but then went mental for the last half and a bit of the season.

Beams looks good if he can get out on the track...especially at that price. Another option if Beams wasn't looking great physically would be Marc Murphy.

Who are people going for in their backline (minus rookies)? My current setup is Montagna, Adams and Hartlett.

I've got Martin and Beams at the moment. Can't bring myself to pull the trigger on Rockliff, even though he looks to be in great nick. I just wonder about whether his role will change this year and whether he might spend more time up forward / not be able to get into positions where he is just racking up meaningless SC points.

I have Bontempelli and Heppell in my team at the moment, not sure if that'll change. Heppell presents as decent value if he comes out firing. Not too sure about Bont though, he seemed to have periods last year where he struggled to insert himself into the game, but then went mental for the last half and a bit of the season.

Beams looks good if he can get out on the track...especially at that price. Another option if Beams wasn't looking great physically would be Marc Murphy.

Who are people going for in their backline (minus rookies)? My current setup is Montagna, Adams and Hartlett.

I've got Rocky and am confident I won't move him. Best condition he's ever been in, something to prove and a team which (hopefully) should be improving. This sounds kinda ridiculous but I actually think forward time will be of benefit for Rocky's scoring. He won't have any problems racking up possessions and tackles even with less time in the midfield but he's just such a creative and dangerous medium forward that the chance for a couple of goals and contested should offset a few missed possessions. Will still keep my eye on him and his role over the JLT but I think he's set for a big year for the Lions and for SCers.

Current defense set up is Docherty, Montagna, Laird and Tuohy but it'll change another twenty times before the season starts.

If anything his scoring will go up with goals being kicked. I got rid of Beams.

If anything his scoring will go up with goals being kicked. I got rid of Beams.

Depends how much ball we get up forward I guess.

Did you have Beams at m5? He is currently at m6 for me. I could swap him out for a rookie and make a few moves elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back