2017 Supporter to member numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
7184-chart1.jpg

7184-chart2.jpg

ref: http://roymorgan.com.au/findings/7184-which-afl-teams-have-most-engaged-supporters-201703221004

Apr 20, 2014
Brunch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Smart move.

You would be setting yourself up for a huge fall considering the last 40 odd years of results between our clubs.
I'd take our history over yours any day.

But returning to the OP....more Essendon than Collingwood? That is interesting...........surprised me. As did the difference in numbers between Pies and Tigers...thought it would be closer...but still with Pies ahead.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
This Roy Morgan poll is up there with Champion data's elite list when it comes to taking only certain aspects into consideration to generate a result.
the number of holes in this type of polling is up there with CD.

>15k respondents
I would love to know what % of them were from which states, if there was an option to respond null to your AFL team of support, and if you claimed support, if you could name more than 20 players on the list (i.e are you a supporter, or are they your team because you like the colours).

I look at the whole history of clubs when Im taking the piss not just a select period.
if you can't be selective with dates to support your argument, you don't belong on BF.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Utterly meaningless poll. Like most of them.

Unless they show us the following:

a) The way in which the data was gathered
b) the actual questions asked
c) the exact terminology used
d) what every single respondee understood the terminology to mean

You may as well just make it up.

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
Sydneysiders supporting Sydney Swans is akin to most victorians support of Melbourne Storm. Sure we can make Craig Bellamy and Billy Slater and Cameron Smith and Vunivalu but how many games would we go To Or even watch on tv. Yet when polled there could be 2M supporters

Utterly meaningless poll. Like most of them.

Unless they show us the following:

a) The way in which the data was gathered
b) the actual questions asked
c) the exact terminology used
d) what every single respondee understood the terminology to mean

You may as well just make it up.

Checked out this survey a few years back and found that;
a) it's prime focus was to identify the number of people who associate themselves with a Club. This was to be used in other marketing campaigns. The heading "supporters" is misleading.
b) respondents could nominate more than one club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I put 20c in your Save Our Skins rattling tins back in the day.

Your premiership wouldn't have been possible without me.
That was incredibly prescient, maybe the most important contribution you will ever make towards the future financial health of North?

raymond35

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl
Without wanting an argument about it, there's no way on Earth Essendon have more supporters than Collingwood. There's heaps of Essendon supporters but wherever I've worked around Australia i have found Collingwood supporters, at literally every job I've ever had. They're bloody all over the place.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Without wanting an argument about it, there's no way on Earth Essendon have more supporters than Collingwood. There's heaps of Essendon supporters but wherever I've worked around Australia i have found Collingwood supporters, at literally every job I've ever had. They're bloody all over the place.

You're probably underestimating their following in the NT and the islands.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
The Roy Morgan Survey's definition of a supporter is someone who ticks a box on a form. Doesn't take into account whether the respondent can name a player, has actually ever attended a game, knows the rules, etc
you can say the same for heaps of eagles fans

they reflexively support the eagles even if they havnt watched a game of footy in 10 years

parochialism isnt dead

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
To get close to a 20% supporter to member conversion rate is pretty good, well done to the bulldogs.

Giants' metrics all look pretty good - decision already vindicated.

Like Sydney, they will be a slow burner, but I think they will eventually pay off for the AFL.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
This doesn't take into account restrictions on membership sales teams like West Coast or Adelaide have. They wouldn't sell memberships greatly exceeding the size of the ground they play in, so it isn't surprising to see that the MCG teams are higher on the "loyalty" charts than the bigger interstate sides.

The Eagles have 65k on the books at the end of 2017, & seat less than 40k at Subi.
Seating at the new Optus Stadium is 50k for the club & expect to make an offer to ALL current members via 3 & 5 game memberships.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
The Eagles have 65k on the books at the end of 2017, & seat less than 40k at Subi.
Seating at the new Optus Stadium is 50k for the club & expect to make an offer to ALL current members via 3 & 5 game memberships.
Yeah, but the fact that Eagles sold 65K shows that they probably had restrictions because they'd probably sell more than that if they had a 100K venue like Collingwood, Richmond and Hawthorn have.

Isn't there some sort of a waiting list to become an Eagles member?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Yeah, but the fact that Eagles sold 65K shows that they probably had restrictions because they'd probably sell more than that if they had a 100K venue like Collingwood, Richmond and Hawthorn have.

Isn't there some sort of a waiting list to become an Eagles member?

I think its closed until the seating at Optus Stadium is complete. Don't think anyone outside the inner circle at the club really know what the final position will be. One thing is a certainty & that is there will be heaps of members with 3 & 5 seat memberships looking to upgrade to 11 game memberships as they become available, so I guess that is a waiting list.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You guys have more supporters in Melbourne, especially when it comes to attendances, but we do have a huge following interstate. I'd say we'd be more popular than Collingwood in SA, WA and NT. Equal in QLD, probably slightly favouring Collingwood. Collingwood more popular in NSW and VIC. It isn't unreasonable to suggest that Collingwood and Essendon have similar numbers nationwide.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You guys have more supporters in Melbourne, especially when it comes to attendances, but we do have a huge following interstate. I'd say we'd be more popular than Collingwood in SA, WA and NT. Equal in QLD, probably slightly favouring Collingwood. Collingwood more popular in NSW and VIC. It isn't unreasonable to suggest that Collingwood and Essendon have similar numbers nationwide.

Lived in all mainland states & my experience is Collingwood by a country mile, other than WA where North give the Pies a run for their money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back