2017 Supporter to member numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Without wanting an argument about it, there's no way on Earth Essendon have more supporters than Collingwood. There's heaps of Essendon supporters but wherever I've worked around Australia i have found Collingwood supporters, at literally every job I've ever had. They're bloody all over the place.

You guys have more supporters in Melbourne, especially when it comes to attendances, but we do have a huge following interstate. I'd say we'd be more popular than Collingwood in SA, WA and NT. Equal in QLD, probably slightly favouring Collingwood. Collingwood more popular in NSW and VIC. It isn't unreasonable to suggest that Collingwood and Essendon have similar numbers nationwide.

I have to agree with JayJ20. Not only interstate but there are a large number of Essendon fans living regionally. At my work we have about 7 or so Essendon supporters, with a few Carlton fans and no Collingwood or Richmond fans. Here in Bendigo the trains are always packed with Dons fans on the way to the game. Collingwood supporters are fewer in numbers when I’ve been on the train on the days they play, still a very decent number of supporters but I have found they are easily outnumbered by Essendon and Carlton fans on game days coming from here.

Jan 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
2017 supporter to membership data

CLUB|SUPPORTERS*|MEMBERS#|SUPPORTERS TO MEMBERS %
\Western Bulldogs|247,000|47,653|19.29%
\Melbourne|229,000|42,233|18.44%
\Port Adelaide|298,000|52,129|17.49%
\Richmond|442,000|72,669|16.44% \North Melbourne|263,000|40,343|15.34%
\Hawthorn|528,000|75,663|14.33%
\St Kilda|294,000|42,052|14.30%
\GWS|175,000|20,944|12.00%
\Collingwood|663,000|75,879|11.44%
\Fremantle|459,000|51,254|11.17%
\Gold Coast|106,000|11,665|11.00%
\Carlton|464,000|50,326|10.85%
\Geelong|515,000|54,854|10.65
\Adelaide|541,000|56,865|10.51%
\Essendon|671,000|67,768|10.01%
\West Coast|669,000|65,064|9.73%
\Sydney Swans|1,204,000|58,838|4.89%
\Brisbane Lions|489,000|21,362|4.37%

*Numbers are generated from the Roy Morgan Single Source Australia poll.
# Official AFL figures
They forgot to put an asterix next to supporter.

raymond35

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl
You're probably underestimating their following in the NT and the islands.

Yeah that could be true, maybe they asked a bunch of Tiwi Islanders in the survey.
It's hard to say, i think Gary Pert used to estimate there would be 1 million Collingwood supporters throughout the world, but he probably just made that figure up.

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
I think Richmond is going to pass everyone in the next decade. We have been the most supported club before and we will be again

Kids love Tigers, love our colours and song so us picking up new young supporters will be supercharged compared to other clubs who may win flags aswell over the next few years. The Tiger is finally awake

Sorry but we're in an alternate universe if Richmond has less supporters than Brisbane.
As ridiculous as it sounds I believe it, Brisbane (and SEQ) people are notorious for only going to games if the local team is winning. If we became a consistent top four team, we'd have a waiting list on season memberships. We managed over 31k (with only $60+ tickets remaining) to our opening home game in 2015 on the back of recruiting Dayne Beams and the pre-season public expectation we'd finally have a good season, despite not playing finals in the five years beforehand and managed over 37k (sold out) against Carlton in 2010 on the expectation we'd be challenging for the premiership. Lions supporters do exist but unfortunately the majority is very, very fickle. While we wouldn't get 98k attend if we hosted GWS in a prelim, I'd be willing to bet we'd get a bigger tv audience than Richmond v GWS did last year. The reality are we are a mid sized club that has gone through a really s**t decade in the history of our club, similar to where Port were in 2011/2012, Richmond in 2010 etc. Obviously Richmond have a huge following in Victoria but I have found most of them seem to stay in Victoria, I rarely meet Richmond fans that live in Queensland, however I will always see Collingwood and Essendon fans here, and everywhere I go around Australia there seems to be plenty of fans from those two teams but not many Richmond outside Victoria.

EyeloveRichmond

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Are Richmond supporters prepared to admit they aren't the biggest club in the land?

Lol this poll definitely seems very accurate...:rolleyes: I mean according to this 'poll' Brisbane have more supporters than us, Brisbane 489,000, Richmond 442,000 & GWS 175,000. This has to be one of the funniest and most stupid polls that is claiming to have any semblance of fact.

EyeloveRichmond

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
As ridiculous as it sounds I believe it, Brisbane (and SEQ) people are notorious for only going to games if the local team is winning. If we became a consistent top four team, we'd have a waiting list on season memberships. We managed over 31k (with only $60+ tickets remaining) to our opening home game in 2015 on the back of recruiting Dayne Beams and the pre-season public expectation we'd finally have a good season, despite not playing finals in the five years beforehand and managed over 37k (sold out) against Carlton in 2010 on the expectation we'd be challenging for the premiership. Lions supporters do exist but unfortunately the majority is very, very fickle. While we wouldn't get 98k attend if we hosted GWS in a prelim, I'd be willing to bet we'd get a bigger tv audience than Richmond v GWS did last year. The reality are we are a mid sized club that has gone through a really s**t decade in the history of our club, similar to where Port were in 2011/2012, Richmond in 2010 etc. Obviously Richmond have a huge following in Victoria but I have found most of them seem to stay in Victoria, I rarely meet Richmond fans that live in Queensland, however I will always see Collingwood and Essendon fans here, and everywhere I go around Australia there seems to be plenty of fans from those two teams but not many Richmond outside Victoria.

Ahh no, there is a sh!tload of Tiger fans in Brissie and Gold Coast. I've been to 3 games at the GABBA and we've nearly outnumbered Lion supporters at each of those games, 1 of them in particular it definitely looked like more Tiger supporters. So no, try again.

Ahh no, there is a sh!tload of Tiger fans in Brissie and Gold Coast. I've been to 3 games at the GABBA and we've nearly outnumbered Lion supporters at each of those games, 1 of them in particular it definitely looked like more Tiger supporters. So no, try again.
Been to every home game in the past 7 years, the only time we'd been outnumbered was when Hawthorn played us in 2016, and that was their fast game there in eight years (plus they have a lot of fans up here as well). Otherwise the two teams that consistently bring the biggest away support to the Gabba are Collingwood and Essendon. The three interstate teams that you'd see most outside gameday if you lived up here in terms of people wearing are Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn. Carlton fourth.

Being completely unbiased, Collingwood (as much as I ******* hate them) and Essendon are the two biggest teams in the comp, if Essendon hosted GWS at the MCG in the prelim, it would also be a partisan 98k crowd and would get bigger TV ratings than the Richmond v GWS prelim did last year.

In terms of supporter numbers, it depends what you classify as a 'supporter', so it is open to interpretation. If you count someone who will only watch/attend games if their team is winning, then we have more supporters. If it is about only counting fans that will watch/attend/buy merch regardless of team performance, then obviously Richmond would have more supporters.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
In terms of supporter numbers, it depends what you classify as a 'supporter', so it is open to interpretation. If you count someone who will only watch/attend games if their team is winning, then we have more supporters. If it is about only counting fans that will watch/attend/buy merch regardless of team performance, then obviously Richmond would have more supporters.
If you dont watch/attend//buy then as a supporter your of no use to the club.

This survey is extrapolated from a very small sample of people and has no basis in reality, if the questionaire require an answer for example about Aust soccer then I would pick Perth as I live here now, if I still lived in Melb I would pick one of those teams, do I really support Perth no not at all but my selection would be added and extrapolated, totally meaningless numbers really

I can say there are a hell of a lot of WA Tigers, couldnt believe it on GF night, I could have been in Richmond there were so many Tigers out and about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Being completely unbiased, Collingwood (as much as I ******* hate them) and Essendon are the two biggest teams in the comp, if Essendon hosted GWS at the MCG in the prelim, it would also be a partisan 98k crowd and would get bigger TV ratings than the Richmond v GWS prelim did last year.
Essendon's most recent finals crowds at the MCG ... 78k v.'s North in 2014; 90k v.'s Carlton. And you reckon they'd get more to a game v.'s GWS?

Essendon's most recent finals crowds at the MCG ... 78k v.'s North in 2014; 90k v.'s Carlton. And you reckon they'd get more to a game v.'s GWS?
For a prelim seeing it would be their first in a long time it would. Did the Richmond v Carlton or North finals in 2013 and 2015 get 98k?

For a prelim seeing it would be their first in a long time it would. Did the Richmond v Carlton or North finals in 2013 and 2015 get 98k?

94.6K Vs Carlton & 90.1K Vs North.

Coincidentally Essendon played both these teams around the same time, also in elimination finals, allowing a reasonably close comparison.
Essendon got 78.6K Vs North the year earlier. (11.5K less)
They got 90.1K Vs Carlton 2 years earlier. (4.5K less).

Worth noting that the EFC game against Carlton was a new attendance record for elimination finals....Until Richmond beat it in 2013, also against Carlton.

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
IMO the biggest clubs in Victoria are;

1. Collingwood
2. Essendon
3. Richmond
4. Carlton

Interstate for Victoria clubs would look like this

1. Essendon (simply because of NT AND WA)
2. Collingwood (they would be the biggest in Queensland always get the biggest crowds their and NSW)
3. Hawthorn (success especially in the 80’s helped their national support)
4. Carlton ( the blues are big in WA AND PROBABLY Have the biggest following in SA)

Richmond not so big interstate compared to the top 4 above.

Actually the one state is very hard to predict interms of who is the most supported Victorian club is South Australia. Collingwood use to be the biggest by a country mile until 1997 when port joined the league. Now it could be either Carlton because of Sturt, Essendon (west Adelaide), Hawthorn, Collingwood still have a big following and Geelong cos of Glenelg.

I think frank costa Geelong x president did say that the cats have the biggest Victorian following in South Australia. Think we would need clarification from Adelaide and port fans to see who is the biggest Victorian club is SA?

But in other states and territories it would be;

Queensland = Collingwood
New South Wales = Collingwood
Victoria = Collingwood
Tasmania = Hawthorn
South Australia = either clubs I mentioned above but I’m gonna say either Carlton/Collingwood or Essendon
ACT = Collingwood
NT = Essendon
WA = Essendon

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL

1. Collingwood
2. Essendon
3. Richmond
4. Carlton

2. Collingwood (they would be the biggest in Queensland always get the biggest crowds their and NSW)
4. Carlton ( the blues are big in WA AND PROBABLY Have the biggest following in SA)

Actually the one state is very hard to predict interms of who is the most supported Victorian club is South Australia. Collingwood use to be the biggest by a country mile until 1997 when port joined the league. Now it could be either Carlton because of Sturt, Essendon (west Adelaide), Hawthorn, Collingwood still have a big following and Geelong cos of Glenelg.

I think frank costa Geelong x president did say that the cats have the biggest Victorian following in South Australia. Think we would need clarification from Adelaide and port fans to see who is the biggest Victorian club is SA?

Queensland = Collingwood
Victoria = Collingwood
Tasmania = Hawthorn
South Australia = either clubs I mentioned above but I’m gonna say either Carlton/Collingwood or Essendon
ACT = Collingwood
NT = Essendon
WA = Essendon
you bloody broken record

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.

1. Collingwood
2. Essendon
3. Richmond
4. Carlton

Queensland = Collingwood
Victoria = Collingwood
Tasmania = Hawthorn
ACT = Collingwood
NT = Essendon
WA = Essendon
Certainly would say Carlton is SA best Vic supported team. I reckon Hawthorn would be the second best supported team, great crowds at Adelaide Oval and surprisingly rate very well on TV here.
1. Carlton 2. Hawthorn 3. Collingwood 4. Geelong 5. Essendon 6. Richmond

Pies definitely the biggest interstate club here, and have more supporters than the Suns... even on the Gold Coast

That is part of the reason why we Lions supporters consider them to be our biggest rival, rather than the Suns

After they won in 2010, we all had to hear about it for the next year. Geelong winning the Grand Final was the biggest relief for us... the only time I hear about Richmond 2017 flag is if I am down in Melbourne, or go on social media/BigFooty

94.6K Vs Carlton & 90.1K Vs North.

Coincidentally Essendon played both these teams around the same time, also in elimination finals, allowing a reasonably close comparison.
Essendon got 78.6K Vs North the year earlier. (11.5K less)
They got 90.1K Vs Carlton 2 years earlier. (4.5K less).

Worth noting that the EFC game against Carlton was a new attendance record for elimination finals....Until Richmond beat it in 2013, also against Carlton.
Essendon got 41k turn up against us for a 1.10pm home game against us last year, you guys had 28k turn up against us, same opponent, same timeslot and same ground.

Essendon got 41k turn up against us for a 1.10pm home game against us last year, you guys had 28k turn up against us, same opponent, same timeslot and same ground.

Sure it's the same ground, but it's their home ground, it's the one the AFL makes us play at.

Sure it's the same ground, but it's their home ground, it's the one the AFL makes us play at.
It's literally two train stops away from the MCG/Punt Road Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back