2017 - The most one sided finals series ever

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Hopefully the results of the two Semis puts to rest the wailing and gnashing of teeth regarding the dreaded final round bye.

"Oh woe is us.........unfair on the Top 4......................"

All said and done, the status quo has been restored thjs year and we have the Top 4 playing off in the two Prelims.

After the Dogs pinched the title from 7th last year, you would think that it was the end of the Finals universe as we know it according to a lot of the "experts" in the media.

It was just an outlier after all!!!

After one of the most "even" competitions in living memory what have we ended up with?. Both EF winners being summarily dismissed by the Week One QF losers

Those railing about the bye need to understand that it can help the top 4 teams just as much as the bottom 4.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
I am really troubled by that crowd figure for tonight's game. That is simply appalling.

I'll never love GWS, obviously, but I want them to succeed in Sydney for the good of the game nationally, and I thought that, of the two new clubs, they were the one really getting places with winning followers.

That is just a dreadful result.

I imagine the AFL are already shitting bricks. And WSW will be laughing their heads off.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I am really troubled by that crowd figure for tonight's game. That is simply appalling.

I'll never love GWS, obviously, but I want them to succeed in Sydney for the good of the game nationally, and I thought of the two new clubs, they were the one really getting places with winning followers.

I imagine the AFL are already shitting bricks. And WSW will be laughing their heads off.
Official number?

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

I'll never love GWS, obviously, but I want them to succeed in Sydney for the good of the game nationally, and I thought of the two new clubs, they were the one really getting places with winning followers.

Disgraceful.

The attendance was nearly as bad as a big NRL club game;)

mulz

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
chelsea fc
its so weird that the AFL gives every team a list of what - 44 players to choose from? but if you choose 'the wrong 22' to play, thats bad and we need a bye to stop it.

lists are 44 players, teams should be able to play any of those that are available for selection they want to enhance their season, surely?

Couldn't agree more, you have 44 players and should be able to manage your list accordingly, id like to see more of list management and less of teams full of kids playing in bottom teams

Apr 8, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Toronto Blue Jays
No it was meant to stop mass restings by finals bound teams in round 23

I never even saw this as a big deal. If a team has earned that by being enough games ahead then let them blood some kids. A round 23 game for a team that has already cemented top 4 wouldn't be a blockbuster anyway. Was a terrible decision.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
So apparently last year the bye made a great finals series. So, what explains, after a close H&A season, this year's finals being as boring as bat s**t? Take out one game and the rest has been rubbish. Low scoring and one sided. Let's hope for some good Prelims.
Last year it caught teams a bit by surprise I reckon. This year the top teams have put strategies in place so they don't get ambushed. Results have been predictable.

Could still affect the prelims we'll have to see

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
I never even saw this as a big deal. If a team has earned that by being enough games ahead then let them blood some kids. A round 23 game for a team that has already cemented top 4 wouldn't be a blockbuster anyway. Was a terrible decision.
Betting $

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No doubt it's been a huge advantage to teams finishing 5th to 8th .... as all the idiot "experts" have been telling us :rolleyes:

That was one of the more ludicrous theories being put forward.

For all those media experts that said the pre finals bye was the reason the dogs won last year - please address all apology letters to Whitten Oval. Cheers.

Hopefully the results of the two Semis puts to rest the wailing and gnashing of teeth regarding the dreaded final round bye.

All said and done, the status quo has been restored thjs year and we have the Top 4 playing off in the two Prelims.

After the Dogs pinched the title from 7th last year, you would think that it was the end of the Finals universe as we know it according to a lot of the "experts" in the media.

After one of the most "even" competitions in living memory what have we ended up with?. Both EF winners being summarily dismissed by the Week One QF losers

Those railing about the bye need to understand that it can help the top 4 teams just as much as the bottom 4.
Depends if Adelaide and Richmond lose or not. We'll get back to you after that to blame the dreadful bye!

SCRAY72

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2002
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Amen to that

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Concluding once and for all that Sydneysiders would rather sit at home and watch a rugby league international than go out to the "gayfl"
Rugby Union actually. (I will refrain from saying what conclusion that tells us about Victorians' cluelessness about life in other states.:))

The Swans get great crowds, so it's not Sydneysiders per se. I'm just really concerned about what this implies for the long-term expansion picture.

Back