Certified Legendary Thread 2017 The Summer of George Trade Period Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
what ever the secret formula is (we all no there isnt one) it must be wrong if Motlop is compensated the same as what buddy was,

The secret formula is clearly the same as deciding the distribution and value of Priority Picks. AFL's discretion.

Which part was incorrect?
We couldn't give a s**t how many other clubs were going for them. What an f'ing stupid point. When Eddy Betts left Carlton as a FA only the Crows and North were properly interested. Does that define him in any way shape or form?

As for Motlop. Don't forget that your club offered him 600k! Yet he still picks us. But let's face it, this is what's really keeping you up at night posting on the Port board, isn't it?;)

You're right about our drafting. Fortunately we don't get to the point where our top end players want to be traded out. Good luck next year by the way, hope you keep Sloane:thumbsu:
Your are using common sense and logic to argue with a crows supporter.
He obviously didn't read his e-mail.

Please crows supporters only ask qualified crows ambassadors questions regarding the crows or football related issues.

He's elite in other stats that may be surprising, given the criticisms he gets:
* Second in the comp for % of entries inside f50 that result in the team retaining possession - so he's elite for hitting targets inside f50.
* Second in the comp for pressure acts and pressure points per game in the forward line (this includes both positive use of the ball when he's under pressure, and putting enough pressure on oppo players to stuff up their use of the ball). His detractors at Melbourne say he doesn't tackle much or effectively; they think "pressure acts" are worthless stats.
* In the top 5 in the comp for % of one-on-one contests won (some Melbourne supporters would say that's because he picks & chooses, and there's some truth in this; he tends to hold back from contests that he doesn't think he's gonna win).
* Very high up (not sure exactly where) for accuracy of set shots. Most Melbourne supporters, even those who hate his guts, would say he's the guy you'd want with the ball in his hands if you were less than a goal down in the last minute of the GF.
* When fit, he's usually in the top 5 or 6 at Melbourne for ground covered during a game. Or was before 2017 season.

He's also good at finding space, very fast over the first 20m for his size. But what Melbourne could never do is lower their eyes and hit him up when he was in space. For much of his time there, a 30m pass would miss him by 5m. Melbourne also never understood kicking into space, or kicking to your teammate's advantage in a contest. And he's great at developing a synergy with other forwards, especially ones like Garlett & Hogan (so, Wingard & Robbie Gray) who can see 3 moves ahead, and at bringing others into the game.

So the Adelaide-Tom-Lynch role, basically. If you want an aggressive tall like Charlie Dixon, he's not the guy. He's not good at contesting long bombs to the hot-spot, and he's not good at "crashing packs" (but you've got Dixon & Ryder to do that). If you believe that the ideal player is Jack Viney and that every player should play the game like Viney does, he'll frustrate the hell out of you, like he did many Melbourne supporters. A poll on Demonland had 70% wanting to keep him and 30% happy to see the last of him.
Sold

We'll take him

We can't trade our 2018 first out from memory as we meet requirements for a restriction on that. Something to do with trading too many first rounders a few years in a row. I don't recall the exact rule.

I think it’s based on how many first rounders you use in the draft over given period. As we used 2 first rounders last year, we should still be fine to trade a future first rounder this year, not that I would want to given how bumper next year’s draft is supposed to be!

Last edited:
The secret formula is clearly the same as deciding the distribution and value of Priority Picks. AFL's discretion.
Listed under "it's the vibe" along with the rules of the game.
Free Agency Compo
Priority Picks
MRP
Umpiring interpretations
Fixturing
Crows B&F
In summing up, it's the constitution, it's Mabo, it's justice, it's law, it's the vibe. I rest my case.

I think it’s based on how many first rounders you use in the draft in over given period. As we used 2 first rounders last year, we should still be fine to trade a future first rounder this year, not that I would want to given how bumper next year’s draft is supposed to be!
Right. It's two over a four-year period and the new rules started in the 2015 draft so the first four-year ends with the 2018 draft. As you say we selected two last year so we're okay. I remember reading 1970's MAD's where they were making jokes about this rule(in the American NBA) so it's been around for a long time. And it can cause some angst, Michael Jordan was a traded away future draft pick.

I'm envious of their picks, with more to come. They should be focused on that instead of coming over here all "lol all three of rockliff, watts and motlop are speculative."

Off on holidays for 5 days, expect this thread to be 800 pages when I get back :)

Have fun.
But you're already interstate. :D

Nah just kidding. Have a gret holiday. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free agent period will close at 5.00 this afternoon but does anyone work over the weekends? There still are a few free agents and the delisted free agent period has not started yet. The delisted free agent period is not just one continuous periods but 3 separate ones.

Wednesday November 1 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) begins
Wednesday November 8 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes

Friday November 10 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins
Friday November 17, 5pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes

Saturday November 25 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) begins
Sunday November 26, 2pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) closes

I'm envious of their picks, with more to come. They should be focused on that instead of coming over here all "lol all three of rockliff, watts and motlop are speculative."

I would love their draft picks.

We could select guys that actually want to be here with those picks.

I love the fact that Fogarty will likely go just before pick 10 and they will have to draft vics that will be a strong chance to leave them shortly.

Lol @ visiting oppo supporters throwing shade on our boom recruiting, especially our noisy neighbours.

Reminds me of when I got the Death Star as a kid. No reason. I was just a spoiled little s**t.

My best mate races over on his BMX. Bursts into my lounge room where I'm recreating the Obi-Wan v Vader lightsaber duel as Luke, Leia, Han & Chewie escape. Die-cast Millennium Falcon ready to make the getaway.

He comes in and kneels beside me, in awe of the magnificent Toltoys playset. Mouth agape, speechless. Stunned. But when he eventually says something, he s**t-cans this architectural cardboard wonder.

"It doesn't have a tunnel to blow it up... the gun on the top looks stupid... you can't put your spaceships anywhere... the Hoth playset is better..."

On and on and on he goes. It was the dumbest s**t I'd ever heard in my 8yo life. Still might be. No logic, reason or common-sense. Just hate, bitterness and envy.

Five minutes later, the jealous little bitch went home. Spewing. Absolutely spewing.

Like I gave a s**t. I had something way more important than a primary school friendship. The f@%king Death Star!

It's mine, you can't have it, you can't play with it, get your own, go suck an egg straight out of a chicken's arse, goodbye...

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 10.24.49 am.png

Last edited:

I'm not envious of their picks. The crows are all in for a flag now just as we are. One pick will likely go for Gibbs, and they're balls deep into Jeremy McGovern too, so you'd think they'd need to part with something good to a rebuilding West Coast if they want him.

I'm not envious of their picks. The crows are all in for a flag now just as we are. One pick will likely go for Gibbs, and they're balls deep into Jeremy McGovern too, so you'd think they'd need to part with something good to a rebuilding West Coast if they want him.
Well, then there's the picks they'll get for Sloane too ;)

So Motlop and Rockliff are equals as players?

The media talk is that Geelong with use the AFL's generosity to go after Jake Stringer and not Watts. They now have an end of first round pick to offer for Stringer.

Last edited:
If they get Gibbs ad McGovern, that makes them next level good in 2018, but would have to cost them all three of the first round picks they would have acquired for Lever and Cameron.

Yep. They are in their window. They either turn their picks into trades, which will be players older then Lever and Cameron, putting them into 'now or never' even more deeply. Or they go to the draft, in which case minus Lever, Cameron and Smith (for next year), they've significantly weakened their chances in a rapidly closing window. They have a greater reliance on 28+ players then Port, both in number and importance to their side. And regardless of whether they trade or go to the draft, that's only going to increase. Their spin about youth, is more ambassador talk.

If they get Gibbs ad McGovern, that makes them next level good in 2018, but would have to cost them all three of the first round picks they would have acquired for Lever and Cameron.
Nah, Lever + Cameron + B. Smith > Gibbs + McGovern IMO. That's assuming their plethora of 28+ players don't start dropping off either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back