Certified Legendary Thread 2017 The Summer of George Trade Period Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rocky will be huge for you next year IMO.

He was #9 in the league for avg. clearances last year, and if I recall correctly he was #1 before he got injured.

Gun and underrated by the AFL community at large. Perhaps no longer if he helps you climb the ladder (and get some wins against top 8 sides :p)

Reckon he’s closer to the 30-35 range of mids:

M.Crouch
Sloane
Zorko
Pendlebury
Treloar
Merrett
Fyfe
Danger
Ablett
Selwood
Kelly
Shiel
Mitchell
Martin
Cotchin
JPK
Parker
Bont

I'd have those ahead of him.

I disagree. This is the team I want to see play R1 next year:

B: Houston / Clurey / Jonas
HB: Pittard / Howard / DBJ
C: Motlop / Wines / Polec
HF: Wingard / Watts / Boak
F: R Gray / Dixon / S Gray

R: Ryder / Rockliff / Ebert

I: Hartlett / Amon / SPP / Marshall

Players outside that 22 who have played 30+ games of AFL: Westhoff, Broadbent, Hombsch, Neade, White, Toumpas. Then you've got Bonner, Atley, Johnson, Palmer, Snelling who have had a taste. Frampton 21 and ready. Lienert mature aged and full of potential.

So thats 6 players who've played over 30 games of AFL as experienced reserves. The Crows, adding in Gibbs & McGovern to their GF side, taking out Otten, will have 4 players in their reserves with 30+ games of AFL experience. Richmond, who just won the flag, will have 6 players with 30+ games of AFL experience next year (and thats not assuming they delist someone like Taylor Hunt or Jake Batchelor for example, which they still might).

So for me, our back up experience is comparable to other clubs.

All we have done is move on players that we know are not good enough. Lobbe, Young, AhChee, Impey have had plenty of chances. Throw in Austin. These guys couldnt win us a SANFL flag so i've got no issues at all in saying goodbye to these peeps and putting faith in the new batch coming through.

If we suffer a big injury list, we may be in trouble, but guess what. If we kept Young & Austin, we'd still be in the same trouble.

Macca goes BANG.

Same bullshit thinking as 2014 and 2016. Oh but Kenny, Kenny we need more 175cm flankers, dont pick 4 rucks on a 44 man list, or 47 if you use cat B rookies, type mentality.

Ryder goes down for 6 games we have 0 gamer 21 year old Frampton and 0 gamer 19 year old Ladhams rucking who realistically is probably a couple of years away being ready to ruck a big slab of games at AFL level. Frampton is injury prone. Especially in the preseason, which means you have a poor preseason you have an average year. I want Frampton to succeed. I want him to be played when Ryder is around. But I also want Marshall to play. Who knows which way Ken goes. I don't want Watts and Dixon being more than a pinch hitter here and there. We aren't paying them the big bucks to ruck.
Name me one team in the AFL with two A grade rucks....they don't exist. Most teams would be forced to play just a servicable ruckman if their no 1 went down. If Nankervis was injured this year I doubt Richmond wins the flag.

Players outside that 22 who have played 30+ games of AFL: Westhoff, Broadbent, Hombsch, Neade, White, Toumpas. Then you've got Bonner, Atley, Johnson, Palmer, Snelling who have had a taste. Frampton 21 and ready. Lienert mature aged and full of potential.

That's a damn sexy squad.

Rocky will be huge for you next year IMO.

He was #9 in the league for avg. clearances last year, and if I recall correctly he was #1 before he got injured.

Gun and underrated by the AFL community at large. Perhaps no longer if he helps you climb the ladder (and get some wins against top 8 sides :p)
Thank you. Enjoy Cameron by the way :)

So thats 6 players who've played over 30 games of AFL as experienced reserves. The Crows, adding in Gibbs & McGovern to their GF side, taking out Otten, will have 4 players in their reserves with 30+ games of AFL experience. Richmond, who just won the flag, will have 6 players with 30+ games of AFL experience next year (and thats not assuming they delist someone like Taylor Hunt or Jake Batchelor for example, which they still might).

All we have done is move on players that we know are not good enough. Lobbe, Young, AhChee, Impey have had plenty of chances. Throw in Austin. These guys couldnt win us a SANFL flag so i've got no issues at all in saying goodbye to these peeps and putting faith in the new batch coming through.

If we suffer a big injury list, we may be in trouble, but guess what. If we kept Young & Austin, we'd still be in the same trouble.
Westhoff gets picked well before Watts, before you even consider Marshall.

Nick Bowen's article on afl.com.au rating clubs trade periods is a whole new level of shithouse. What's the point if you rate everyone 5 or better?

Did he not notice Collingwood trade what will likely be a pick in the early 20's for a 0 game category B rookie? I thought they had a review to avoid repeates of the Chris Mayne situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Westhoff gets picked well before Watts, before you even consider Marshall.

Our 3 freshly traded in players will be among the first 10 players picked every week. That's just how this works. I agree Westhoff is picked before Marshall, but Watts' name will practically be on the team sheet in inerasable ink.

Name me one team in the AFL with two A grade rucks....they don't exist. Most teams would be forced to play just a servicable ruckman if their no 1 went down. If Nankervis was injured this year I doubt Richmond wins the flag.
North Melbourne.

Its not about having 2 A grade rucks. Its about insurance. Look at WCE for proof. Nick Nat does his knee, Lycett is injury prone and gets injured several times in the year, They have Giles on their list. They trade in a 25 year old 25 gamer in Vardy for pick 68 who has done a knee and another injury before West Coast got him, that escapes me, and plays all bar one game this year but is a mature AFL body. So what else do they do? They recruit Petrie as a break in case emergency ruckman/forward as a rookie but is probably paid 2 times the rookie minimum.

What happened in the final? The older than a 2015 or 2016 draft pick ruck ie Vardy and the break in case of emergency Petrie nullified Ryder for most of the night. They didn't thrash him or beat him but they broke even with Ryder over the whole game and in the first 1.5 quarters they beat him and gave their mids great service which was enough to win the game.

Petrie paid for his rookie contract be it minimum terms or double that, just in that Elimination Final game alone.

North Melbourne.

Its not about having 2 A grade rucks. Its about insurance. Look at WCE for proof. Nick Nat does his knee, Lycett is injury prone and gets injured several times in the year, They have Giles on their list. They trade in a 25 year old 25 gamer in Vardy for pick 68 who has done a knee and another injury before West Coast got him, that escapes me, and plays all bar one game this year but is a mature AFL body. So what else do they do? They recruit Petrie as a break in case emergency ruckman/forward as a rookie but is probably paid 2 times the rookie minimum.

What happened in the final? The older than a 2015 or 2016 draft pick ruck ie Vardy and the break in case of emergency Petrie nullified Ryder for most of the night. They didn't thrash him or beat him but they broke even with Ryder over the whole game and in the first 1.5 quarters they beat him and gave their mids great service which was enough to win the game.

Petrie paid for his rookie contract be it minimum terms or double that, just in that Elimination Final game alone.
North Melbourne don't have any A grade rucks let alone two of them...

G
North Melbourne don't have any A grade rucks let alone two of them...
Goldstein is an ex All Australian and Preuss is a beauty and a monster and future star. It wasnt the rucks that were their problem in 2017, it was the 2,300 games of experience they lost between 2016 and 2017. s**t post showdown shellacking we didn't field a side with 2,300 games experience in any of those 4 games.

North Melbourne.

I get what your saying, but before Preus debuted this year for NM and before Sean Darcy debuted for Freo this year that had Goldstein and nothing and Sandilands and nothing. The point is until we see Frampton or Ladhams play AFL next year we won't know our depth. If Frampton starts kicking arse, bang, problem solved. WCE are an exception to the rule regarding rucks, they have always placed extra emphasise on rucks throughout their history must be vital to their game style.

If Jacobs and Nankervis get injured this year, the Tigers and Crows don't make the GF. Most clubs are running this risk.

I just believe that we need to see our depth rucks play before just assuming our depth is shot. If we rookie another ruck this year we'll be fine.

Westhoff plays well before Amon

Personally id like Bonner in the side as well, from the small sample size this year he is in the top 20 players for DE%. Tall, Fast, Long penetrating kick, takes the game on and uses it well. S.Gray would be the first to come out, but that does risk being to heavy in half-backs, with Pittard, Houston, DBJ and Hartlett

Last edited:
Nick Bowen's article on afl.com.au rating clubs trade periods is a whole new level of shithouse. What's the point if you rate everyone 5 or better?

Did he not notice Collingwood trade what will likely be a pick in the early 20's for a 0 game category B rookie? I thought they had a review to avoid repeates of the Chris Mayne situation.
How can anyone not fail GC for giving up pick 2 for Weller, he wouldn't even get a game with us. Pick 2 was insane.

I get what your saying, but before Preus debuted this year for NM and before Sean Darcy debuted for Freo this year that had Goldstein and nothing and Sandilands and nothing. The point is until we see Frampton or Ladhams play AFL next year we won't know our depth. If Frampton starts kicking arse, bang, problem solved. WCE are an exception to the rule regarding rucks, they have always placed extra emphasise on rucks throughout their history must be vital to their game style.

If Jacobs and Nankervis get injured this year, the Tigers and Crows don't make the GF. Most clubs are running this risk.

I just believe that we need to see our depth rucks play before just assuming our depth is shot. If we rookie another ruck this year we'll be fine.
Its not about not giving Frampton a go. I want to see him play and suceed. But he is injury prone.

Its about being smart like West Coast were, they won a final away from home that they werent expected to win as a result, and have some back up just in case and take out an insurance policy. They had 5 rucks on the list if you include Petrie. I'm saying we have a minimum of 4. We have stupidly gone into a season with 3 recognised ruckmen on the list in 2014 and 2016 and we were bitten on the arse badly. There is no need to repeat this stupidity in 2018.

Last edited:
How can anyone not fail GC for giving up pick 2 for Weller, he wouldn't even get a game with us. Pick 2 was insane.
Its Freo trying to see if anyone can beat their trade Groom for NT zone selection McLeod as the worst trade in AFL history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back