Certified Legendary Thread 2017 The Summer of George Trade Period Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes me sad that this thread is cooked.

What a couple of weeks.

is-that-all-59e829.jpg

No, kids. It is all for now. There will be more presents soon.

We are starting a new tradition, one after the Spaniards. If Trade Week is Christmas, DFA and drafts are Kings' Day! And we are giving presents also then.

Isn't it great?!

Nick Bowen's article on afl.com.au rating clubs trade periods is a whole new level of shithouse. What's the point if you rate everyone 5 or better?

Did he not notice Collingwood trade what will likely be a pick in the early 20's for a 0 game category B rookie? I thought they had a review to avoid repeates of the Chris Mayne situation.
You should read the age's one. Not one critical word. The suns did well apparently, luring mature talent at an admitted slight premium. Baffling.

Traded out: 59 games (of total possible 136 in 2017, 43%*)
Trengove + Impey + Young + Ah Chee + Austin + Lobbe

Traded In: 59 games (of total possible 61 in 2017, 96%*)
Rockliff + Motlop + Watts

Interesting, we have traded 6 players out and 3 players in and both groups played the exact same amount of games this year.

Bonus:
Traded + Retired out: 60 games (of a potentially total 184 in 2017)
Monfries + Young + Trengove + Lobbe + Impey + Austin + Ah Chee + Krakouer

*percentage of total possible games played, games missed through injury reduced the total possible games played.

Apart from the three ins, I'm ecstatic with the ruthlessness of our fringe trading.

Young, Lobbe, Austin & Ah Chee have had their moments but were unlikely to force their way into the 22. Moved on, replaced with better players and/or youth.

Trengove is a warrior, someone who stood by us when we were at our lowest ebb and helped drag us back to relevance. We will always love him for it.

However he'd been surpassed as a defender and as a ruckman, and was never a forward at all. He was no longer best 22 and we helped him on his way.

From a club that has a history of hanging on to kids with potential and good team men until they have no value and are delisted - it was a much needed change.

We exist to win premierships, and we're going for broke. It might blow up in our faces, but we won't be left wondering.

You should read the age's one. Not one critical word. The suns did well apparently, luring mature talent at an admitted slight premium. Baffling.

"Just look at the bright side of life..."

We need to get you over here. Nice feed at the club then onto Port Adelaide Oval to watch a game. Put it on your bucket list :D

It already is. Brazil's economy is not what it was some years ago, so I don't see it happening soon; but I'm working on it.

I expect nothing short of a warm reception at the Adelaide's airport. I want my kids to wonder why there are so many people waiting for us:

— We may be Brazilians, and they, Australians; there is a world between us, but it will "Never Tear Us Apart!"

[chorus start singing] :p

Years from now we'll be bored into a near coma by a glacial trade week and think to ourselves "Remember the Summer of George in 2017? Those were the days."

I still reminisce about the wonderful off season that was Tippetgate. I made a conscious effort to really soak up the lols and the sheer joy I felt at the crows expense. Great off season that one. My all time favorite. Love thinking about it...often.

The Summer of George however is right up there. I love the ins I endorse the outs and the George gifs kept me entertained. I don't know if this board has a hall of fame for great threads but if there is, this one is straight to the pool room material, wet mattresses and all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G

Goldstein is an ex All Australian and Preuss is a beauty and a monster and future star. It wasnt the rucks that were their problem in 2017, it was the 2,300 games of experience they lost between 2016 and 2017. s**t post showdown shellacking we didn't field a side with 2,300 games experience in any of those 4 games.
Goldstein has had a Lobbe type fall, and despite his potential, Preuss isn't A Grade... I agree with your point though. They've got a lot of issues down there and it's fantastic to see.

Now it's time to tell if we can not only bridge the gap but jump ahead.

I still maintain that we were the worst side in the finals this year. If West Coast showed a week later that they were really a joke, what does that make us?

Will these 3 guys propel the gap for us?

I'm hoping their skill execution helps us become a better side. We need precision amongst the manic ways.

Now it's time to tell if we can not only bridge the gap but jump ahead.

I still maintain that we were the worst side in the finals this year. If West Coast showed a week later that they were really a joke, what does that make us?

Will these 3 guys propel the gap for us?

Fair point. We are going to have to learn how to football during preseason because 3 players won't make us the best side next year.

Makes me sad that this thread is cooked.

What a couple of weeks.
Any idea when Lynch and Sloane will declare PA as their preference for season 2019.

Well there is one thing I do miss in these trade and draft threads and that is Portia's opinions.

Over the years got the draftees and trade requirements right more often than wrong.

I'm a bit confused as to why we want pick 62 and 63 though. Sure we won't be picking that many low pick players. So will just use on rookie upgrades anyway. Unless we plan on bidding? Do they carry points?

I disagree. This is the team I want to see play R1 next year:

B: Houston / Clurey / Jonas
HB: Pittard / Howard / DBJ
C: Motlop / Wines / Polec
HF: Wingard / Watts / Boak
F: R Gray / Dixon / S Gray

R: Ryder / Rockliff / Ebert

I: Hartlett / Amon / SPP / Marshall

Players outside that 22 who have played 30+ games of AFL: Westhoff, Broadbent, Hombsch, Neade, White, Toumpas. Then you've got Bonner, Atley, Johnson, Palmer, Snelling who have had a taste. Frampton 21 and ready. Lienert mature aged and full of potential.

I agree. That team looks pretty damn good on paper.
We know Westhoff is going to be playing however. Probably as back up ruck as well :(
I see the backup ruck as our only weak link. Luck for us Paddy can do a heap of work

edit (howard ?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back