Certified Legendary Thread 2017 The Summer of George Trade Period Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah Chee couldn't make the 22 and he had weapons, though. I liked Palmer as a player, he was pretty tough and was consistent but his consistency/effectiveness was at a league quality level, not at an AFL quality level. Palmer is realistically a long way back the order, and the selection of Atley over him this year - and Drew as emergency for some games was probably the writing on the wall from his perspective.

I liked the fact he was that perfect size for a medium forward pushing up into the middle, had a nice high mark and had added stat accumulation to his locker, albeit at the lower level (see below):

IMG_6333.jpg

Just surprised he couldn't manage a solitary game last season, especially given Ken's penchant for unexpected selections - White vs GWS in Cambrah, Dimitri vs Essendon, Atley vs West Coast at Subi, Monfries vs Adelaide, Marshall in Ballaraat, Neade vs anyone (((7 times))).

Unless there was something else going on, deserved a crack at some point. I mean, look at this run of games:

IMG_6334.jpg

I liked the fact he was that perfect size for a medium forward pushing up into the middle, had a nice high mark and had added stat accumulation to his locker, albeit at the lower level (see below):

View attachment 435218

Just surprised he couldn't manage a solitary game last season, especially given Ken's penchant for unexpected selections - White vs GWS in Cambrah, Dimitri vs Essendon, Atley vs West Coast at Subi, Monfries vs Adelaide, Marshall in Ballaraat, Neade vs anyone (((7 times))).

Unless there was something else going on, deserved a crack at some point. I mean, look at this run of games:

View attachment 435219

We won't get everything right. If delisting Palmer was the mistake, we are still fine.

Moreover, sometimes we must do a painful trade-off, like a chess player who sacrifices his queen in order to increase his chances of a check-mate. We could have been forced to delist a young player, and Palmer ended up being the one who took the smallest straw.

Either way, it is hard to evaluate with the info we have. Looking at the whole picture, the set of actions seem to make sense; even though some individual actions may look odd or wrong.

Neither will Houston... oh, wait!
Never said Houston wouldn't. I thought he was ok as a forward flanker that showed some good signs but is a terrific back pocket player.

wow I'm a fortune teller. A quote from myself a year ago. When Houston was a forward flanker and Lienert was drafted as a winger.
I reckon we'll see Houston in defence a fair bit next year. Also think we'll develop Lienert as a KPD. We've got too many mids/wingers for him to fit in.

I reckon there was 1 (possibly 2?) Games where Hewett was given a lot of inside mid time and did really well what's saved him, watch for him to get plenty of midfield minutes with the magpies i reckon

The overwhelming majority of list Nostradamus’ had Houston on the delist pile, nothing to do with being happy for him to get an extra year or not - just that most didn’t see it turning out to be much more that a list clogging season.

Where has this revisionist history that everyone wrote off Houston last year come from? IIRC most of the board was happy enough to see him get another year, because even though his output wasn’t great at the time you could see that his kicking was a standout feature to his game. I know I was.

Hewett not so much. He doesn’t have a standout feature to his game.
Oh, if we only played Hewett and Ira in the grand final against the blue baggers the result may have been different. I know I’m only trusting my failing memory but I’m not sure if Snelling was in that team?
Yes, I know we were hamstrung by the SANFL in our selection but one of the above should have been in the side instead of Matty White. I guess Matty was the only dubious starter in the grand final from players from our afl list.
In my humble opinion Hewitt, Snelling and especially Ira, should be starters for 2019.
I’ll put it out there - I reckon Ira could make it!!

I wrote off Houston.
Was never going to be an AFL level mid forward.

Turns out he will never he one either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep I wrote off Houston. He did bugger all the 3 or 4 games I saw him play on HFF and I didn't see that there was anything special in his kick because he got so little of the ball to see him use his weapon. He was very timid in the games I saw him play. And he seemed to be injured for a big chunk of the season when I got out to Alberton to watch games. The coaches obviously saw a lot of him at training. I have no idea if they gave him an extra year with the intention to move him to HBF, but if they didn't move him, I doubt he would have made it AFL level. I reckon he would have been cut just like Palmer.

I used to wonder why we kept DBJ on the list for so long (not that I got to see anything of his SANFL form) and he suddenly blossomed when finally given his AFL chance, although not such a great 2017. Clearly the club doesn't see the same up potential to Jesse's game.
Started on a 2 year deal. Had an average first year. Improved a bit in his 2nd year, which got him a last chance 3rd year. His 3rd season was the breakout.

Port Adelaide's reputation as a destination club continues to grow with this latest social media hint at further signings...

tumblr_oyykh0A8jL1wsbn2ao1_1280.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back