2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be intriguing to see how Walker goes playing in the 1s with Fagan now at the helm. I wonder if he'll be played as a KPD exclusively, KPF, or if Fagan will swing him back and forth? Or....not play him at all. I'd like to see him become something with the Lions in some kind of capacity.

We are paying over 400k a year for walker when certainly didn't get him cheap same goes for Bastinac who is an abosolute spud

I know this maybe an unpopular veiw but I would like us to look at trading Rich if we get a substantial return for him. His contract lenght and size does not reflect the impact he should have on games consistently. I love his accurate kicks but his consistency is what lacks the most. I feel his value to another finals bound team would be higher and the draft picks or pick would enable us to replenish the midfield for the future. We all know rich, rockliff, beams and such wont be there or on the verge of retirement when our next premiership tilt comes around. So we must get value for him now. Keep our other A graders zorks, rocky (if we can), beams and hopefully add another top notch mid through f/a ( pipe dream) if we can or at the very least a B grader like Rich with elite kicking just on less money. Just a thought.

I know this maybe an unpopular veiw but I would like us to look at trading Rich if we get a substantial return for him. His contract lenght and size does not reflect the impact he should have on games consistently. I love his accurate kicks but his consistency is what lacks the most. I feel his value to another finals bound team would be higher and the draft picks or pick would enable us to replenish the midfield for the future. We all know rich, rockliff, beams and such wont be there or on the verge of retirement when our next premiership tilt comes around. So we must get value for him now. Keep our other A graders zorks, rocky (if we can), beams and hopefully add another top notch mid through f/a ( pipe dream) if we can or at the very least a B grader like Rich with elite kicking just on less money. Just a thought.

As much as I agree with you, I believe Rich is one player contract we won't be able to trade out. Certainly not for a valuable first round pick. His age, previous injury history and that Albatros of a contract all count against him as trade bait.

Good stuff dlanod. Can you do a favour and remove Pearce Hanley - 2019 thanks.

Inside knowledge. He's being traded back at the end of the year.

We are paying over 400k a year for walker when certainly didn't get him cheap same goes for Bastinac who is an abosolute spud

There's cheap in terms of what we gave up to bring him in, which he was, and then there's contract terms in which he might not technically be cheap but you also have to look at who else we have to spend money on - you still have to spend 95% of the cap each year after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's cheap in terms of what we gave up to bring him in, which he was, and then there's contract terms in which he might not technically be cheap but you also have to look at who else we have to spend money on - you still have to spend 95% of the cap each year after all.
Yeah, what we are currently playing players is not really a concern. As far as I can see, we're not under significant salary cap pressure so the fact that the likes of Bastinac or Walker are on relatively big bucks to play reserves doesn't really impact the club's list management to a great extent. Sure, we'd much rather be getting value for money but those contracts aren't really preventing us from signing or re-signing anyone.

Yeah, what we are currently playing players is not really a concern. As far as I can see, we're not under significant salary cap pressure so the fact that the likes of Bastinac or Walker are on relatively big bucks to play reserves doesn't really impact the club's list management to a great extent. Sure, we'd much rather be getting value for money but those contracts aren't really preventing us from signing or re-signing anyone.

Plus we're just assuming that we're paying them overs to play for us. They were on the outer at their clubs. They could have come at least partly for more opportunity.

I actually think minimum salary cap rules are pretty dumb.

If we only paid players what they were worth we could probably bring in 4 free agents. Maybe that's why.

Seems dumb our list and Adelaide's list are getting paid about the same. (Give or take 10%)

I actually think minimum salary cap rules are pretty dumb.

If we only paid players what they were worth we could probably bring in 4 free agents. Maybe that's why.

Seems dumb our list and Adelaide's list are getting paid about the same. (Give or take 10%)

Agreed. Clubs finishing bottom 4 back to back should get more relief in salary cap rules i.e minimum spend allowed to be capped at 80% somewhere rather than 90. Helps maintain some perspective on the experience vs age profile of list, compared to say an Adelaide list.

Agreed. Clubs finishing bottom 4 back to back should get more relief in salary cap rules i.e minimum spend allowed to be capped at 80% somewhere rather than 90. Helps maintain some perspective on the experience vs age profile of list, compared to say an Adelaide list.

Yeah, I'm on the same train of thought as you mate.

Must be a reason that the AFL doesn't do this that we are missing

The AFL used to allow the lower limit to be 85% or so. I think the AFLPA lobbied them to change it because it effectively meant the total payments to players were lower. This was in the Melbourne days.

^ minimum spend was originally bought in the mid 90's from memory to ensure clubs in financial difficulty didn't tread water by having a low cost roster and saving 1/2/3 million compared to other clubs, while also being uncompetitive on the field.

Dont agree at all imo. We can't keep getting rid of older players for young blokes. Our older players are the only thing keeping us in games atm. We get rid of Rich, Rocky etc then why would the young guys want to stay if we keep getting belted (which we would if we got rid of them)

my view on the 2017 'out of contracts'

Tom Rockliff - hopefully keep. probably his choice now (doubt anyone else can pay him what we could)
Nicholas Robertson - showing a bit likely to get a 1-2 year extension (I doubt Noble/Fagan will be handing out 3 years to anyone but star players)
Michael Close - hopefully keep. but you'd think he'd look at his options.
Daniel McStay - hopefully keep. his choice as he'll have suitors.
Tom Cutler - hopefully keep. his choice as he'll have suitors.
Claye Beams - likely gone. at his age and position he is emminently replaceable
Jonathan Freeman - probably gone - only stays if Close (and McStay) leave
Ryan Harwood - possibly gone. injury history, age, replaceability
Jarrad Jensen - surely gone - looks down the pecking order a bit ATM.
Josh Schache - have everything crossed that I can he stays
Ben Keays - will stay (sure he hasnt' actually extended?)
Josh Clayton - surely gone.

5 list spots and realistically you'd think 1 or 2 of those other uncontracted players will go. maybe someone like Walker would seek a trade (for pick 100 in the draft) to a team looking for an average key forward if he doesn't get a run this year (Collingwood as a Jesse White replacement?) or Paparone back to Perth.

not saying those would happen just that there always is 1 or 2 unexpected things that pop up for various reasons at trade time.

6-7 list spots with 3 picks in the top 20, with a bit of luck a decent academy player bid on in the mid-late 20's who we get cheap. and then a couple of FA/mature signings or rookie upgrades.

McInerney is an interesting one. gets interesting stats in the reserves and given we only have 2 senior listed ruckman one of which is 30 we might look to upgrade him.

2018 is when the 'average player clearout' will happen with Bewick, Lester, Bell, Walker all out of contract.

my view on the 2017 'out of contracts'

Tom Rockliff - hopefully keep. probably his choice now (doubt anyone else can pay him what we could)
Nicholas Robertson - showing a bit likely to get a 1-2 year extension (I doubt Noble/Fagan will be handing out 3 years to anyone but star players)
Michael Close - hopefully keep. but you'd think he'd look at his options.
Daniel McStay - hopefully keep. his choice as he'll have suitors.
Tom Cutler - hopefully keep. his choice as he'll have suitors.
Claye Beams - likely gone. at his age and position he is emminently replaceable
Jonathan Freeman - probably gone - only stays if Close (and McStay) leave
Ryan Harwood - possibly gone. injury history, age, replaceability
Jarrad Jensen - surely gone - looks down the pecking order a bit ATM.
Josh Schache - have everything crossed that I can he stays
Ben Keays - will stay (sure he hasnt' actually extended?)
Josh Clayton - surely gone.

5 list spots and realistically you'd think 1 or 2 of those other uncontracted players will go. maybe someone like Walker would seek a trade (for pick 100 in the draft) to a team looking for an average key forward if he doesn't get a run this year (Collingwood as a Jesse White replacement?) or Paparone back to Perth.

not saying those would happen just that there always is 1 or 2 unexpected things that pop up for various reasons at trade time.

6-7 list spots with 3 picks in the top 20, with a bit of luck a decent academy player bid on in the mid-late 20's who we get cheap. and then a couple of FA/mature signings or rookie upgrades.

McInerney is an interesting one. gets interesting stats in the reserves and given we only have 2 senior listed ruckman one of which is 30 we might look to upgrade him.

2018 is when the 'average player clearout' will happen with Bewick, Lester, Bell, Walker all out of contract.
Nice overview, hope you don't mind if I have a crack.
Tom Rockliff - will he stay or will he go know. was asking for a big contract $800k over 5 and the way he is going wouldn't be surprised if another club came knocking.
Nicholas Robertson - 2 year contract IMO
Michael Close - Stay
Daniel McStay - He'll have suitors and will be 50/50 to stay but would like to keep. How we go throughout the year will be deciding factor IMO
Tom Cutler - Same as McStay
Claye Beams - possibly gone
Jonathan Freeman - gone
Ryan Harwood - possibly gone/maybe a one year contract
Jarrad Jensen - gone

Josh Schache - have everything crossed that I can he stays (same)
Ben Keays - will stay (sure he hasnt' actually extended?) Yep
Josh Clayton - gone.
That's a definite 3 without taking into any one else leaving but will expect one to two more.

What happens with the rookie list could have a big impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back