2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont agree at all imo. We can't keep getting rid of older players for young blokes. Our older players are the only thing keeping us in games atm. We get rid of Rich, Rocky etc then why would the young guys want to stay if we keep getting belted (which we would if we got rid of them)
You are right, but the older blokes need to add to the team and as said we should try and all the A graders but what will the young guys learn if they see a guy like rich who earns top dollar and has few good games then coasts for the rest. Rich should be impacting games like rocky or zorko or d.beams, hes on big bucks, was a high draft pick and has a long contract. In saying all of that his contract status maybe the sticking point to any trade as has been noted by other posters. In any event its my belief that his departure would hurt us the least and would extract more value.

Before anyone shouts me down. I do understand how valuable his disposal is for our young team and if he was able average 25 a game and break the tags or provide 6-10 tackles when he cant get the footy then keeping him would be a no brainer. I just hope the form of the last 2 weeks is sustained throughout the rest of the year. It's just my opinion, but I think you make very valid point

Nice overview, hope you don't mind if I have a crack.
Tom Rockliff - will he stay or will he go know. was asking for a big contract $800k over 5 and the way he is going wouldn't be surprised if another club came knocking.
Nicholas Robertson - 2 year contract IMO
Michael Close - Stay
Daniel McStay - He'll have suitors and will be 50/50 to stay but would like to keep. How we go throughout the year will be deciding factor IMO
Tom Cutler - Same as McStay
Claye Beams - possibly gone
Jonathan Freeman - gone
Ryan Harwood - possibly gone/maybe a one year contract
Jarrad Jensen - gone

Josh Schache - have everything crossed that I can he stays (same)
Ben Keays - will stay (sure he hasnt' actually extended?) Yep
Josh Clayton - gone.
That's a definite 3 without taking into any one else leaving but will expect one to two more.

I'm in the "Keep Freeman and Close" camp. They are 22 and entering the mature KPP phase. We need both of them to show more for sure but KPP is one area where I'd rather see us persist past the first 3-4 years and see what they've got.

Freeman had a lot of things going for him, had the presence in the F50 - one handed contested mark while wrestling with a defender is still stuck in my head. Not sure what happened with him, hopefully he turns it around in the second half of this year.

I'm in the "Keep Freeman and Close" camp. They are 22 and entering the mature KPP phase. We need both of them to show more for sure but KPP is one area where I'd rather see us persist past the first 3-4 years and see what they've got.

Freeman had a lot of things going for him, had the presence in the F50 - one handed contested mark while wrestling with a defender is still stuck in my head. Not sure what happened with him, hopefully he turns it around in the second half of this year.

Freeman could be a candidate to go onto the rookie list (if it still exists next year). I doubt anybody would pick him up.

Carlton and Richmond may have a look at him. They need a key forward and he would come pretty cheap.

Based on one or two goals a week in the NEAFL?
Bloody hell your a jackess. Freeman is a young KPF who has shown some good signs at both AFL and NEAFL level. Also a 110% true fact is he has been courted by rival clubs both previously and currently. There are a few posters who will be able to back me up on that info too.

You really do talk out of your ass 99% of the time around here

Bloody hell your a jackess. Freeman is a young KPF who has shown some good signs at both AFL and NEAFL level. Also a 110% true fact is he has been courted by rival clubs both previously and currently. There are a few posters who will be able to back me up on that info too.

You really do talk out of your ass 99% of the time around here

It wouldn't surprise me if he's been chased in the past but his 2016 was beyond awful (affected by injury) and his 2017 has been solid but needs to do more. It's harsh but there's been better footballers unable to push on. His lack of 'white line fever' would seemingly hold him back.

Based on one or two goals a week in the NEAFL?
Has had interest from rivals last few years. Has a few tools to work with. Potential is there. Just can't see how he can break his way into our side so I expect the Hawks or Blues for example to take a chance. Won't cost anything besides a list spot and theres a few clubs who could afford to take a punt. We aren't really concerned if he leaves IIRC.

Has had interest from rivals last few years. Has a few tools to work with. Potential is there. Just can't see how he can break his way into our side so I expect the Hawks or Blues for example to take a chance. Won't cost anything besides a list spot and theres a few clubs who could afford to take a punt. We aren't really concerned if he leaves IIRC.
From this seasons form Hammelman should be promoted to take Freemans place

What would Freeman honestly be worth on the trade table? A 3rd round pick? I'm trying to find correlations with Lisle and Walker; two other young KPFs who didn't really crack into the senior side much before being traded (similar to Freeman). I know Walker was a 3rd round pick (and we got Jansen included too), but what did Lisle cost? I forgot its been so long ago

What would Freeman honestly be worth on the trade table? A 3rd round pick? I'm trying to find correlations with Lisle and Walker; two other young KPFs who didn't really crack into the senior side much before being traded (similar to Freeman). I know Walker was a 3rd round pick (and we got Jansen included too), but what did Lisle cost? I forgot its been so long ago

Lisle was a second but he was contracted IIRC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From this seasons form Hammelman should be promoted to take Freemans place
I like Hammelman, but he can't take a contested mark to save his life. Need to keep Freeman. We all need to remember he's yet to complete a full pre-season. Look at the performance output of guys like Gawn, WHE and Polec after they have a full pre-season. He's fitness is the only knock on him.

Guys like Harwood, C. Beams, Clayton, Bastinac, Jansen, Walker and Bell, have to be traded, delisted or moved to the rookie list. That should free up some list spots to get Matthew Kennedy, Jacob Hopper, Harrison Himmelberg, Connor Ballendon, Steven Motlop, Cameron Rayner & Riley Bonner :p.

Last edited:
I like Hammelman, but he can't take a contested mark to save his life. Need to keep Freeman. We all need to remember he's yet to complete a full pre-season. Look at the performance output of guys like Gawn, WHE and Polec after they have a full pre-season. He's fitness is the only knock on him.

Guys like Harwood, C. Beams, Clayton, Bastinac, Jansen, Walker and Bell, have to be traded, delisted or moved to the rookie list. That should free up some list spots to get Matthew Kennedy, Jacob Hopper, Harrison Himmelberg, Connor Ballendon, Steven Motlop, Cameron Rayner & Riley Bonner :p.

Criminal for not including Elliott Himmelberg there.

With our list devoid of quality players I think it could be worth offering overs to someone to try and lure them to the Gabba. I'm sure we'd have a fair bit of salary cap space, particularly if we lose Rocky. If we offered someone 800k per year over 6 years and front-loaded the first year at 1.4million, we would owe that player $680, 000 per year over the next 5. Could we fit a player on 1.4million into the cap next year? Who really knows but with the CBA set to increase you'd probably lean to thinking we could. It then comes down to who is worth trading for. If we are offering a player 800k per season we'd obviously have to give up a 1st rounder. So with that in mind plus the fact that we have a young, developing list we'd want to target a player aged 20-23 hence why we'd have to trade as the available free agents do not fit into that age bracket and as much as we'd all love Fyfe or Dusty it ain't gonna happen.

These are some out of contract , younger players who I'd be willing to throw large money at or at least offer them 100k-200k more than what their current club can afford-

Jake Lever
Wayne Milera
Mitch McGovern
Darcy Parish
Josh Kelly
Devon Smith
Jacob Hopper
Matthew Kennedy
Jason Johanissen(He's 24)

One player who isn't OOC until the end of next year who'd be a prime candidate for throwing a big offer at is Rory Laird. The Crows salary cap is tight and we would be able to offer him a much bigger deal. If the Crows win the flag this year perhaps he'd be willing to shift his focus towards his financial future. At the end of the day money talks and generally if you offer enough above a players market value eventually they find it too hard to refuse. I think our future spine is set(Subject to Schache re-signing) and what we could really use is a young, ready to go, gun midfielder to both lift us next year but also contribute for the next 8-10 years at a high standard and help lead our next generation of midfielders post Beams/Zorko/Rocky/Rich. Laird seems like a prime candidate but I'd be very happy with a Parish or Hopper as well. Rory Laird is 23 and made the 40 man AA squad last year at the age of 22. He's moved into the midfield this year previously spending his time off the half back flank.

With our list devoid of quality players I think it could be worth offering overs to someone to try and lure them to the Gabba. I'm sure we'd have a fair bit of salary cap space, particularly if we lose Rocky. If we offered someone 800k per year over 6 years and front-loaded the first year at 1.4million, we would owe that player $680, 000 per year over the next 5. Could we fit a player on 1.4million into the cap next year? Who really knows but with the CBA set to increase you'd probably lean to thinking we could. It then comes down to who is worth trading for. If we are offering a player 800k per season we'd obviously have to give up a 1st rounder. So with that in mind plus the fact that we have a young, developing list we'd want to target a player aged 20-23 hence why we'd have to trade as the available free agents do not fit into that age bracket and as much as we'd all love Fyfe or Dusty it ain't gonna happen.

These are some out of contract , younger players who I'd be willing to throw large money at or at least offer them 100k-200k more than what their current club can afford-

Jake Lever
Wayne Milera
Mitch McGovern
Darcy Parish
Josh Kelly
Devon Smith
Jacob Hopper
Matthew Kennedy

One player who isn't OOC until the end of next year who'd be a prime candidate for throwing a big offer at is Rory Laird. The Crows salary cap is tight and we would be able to offer him a much bigger deal. If the Crows win the flag this year perhaps he'd be willing to shift his focus towards his financial future. At the end of the day money talks and generally if you offer enough above a players market value eventually they find it too hard to refuse. I think our future spine is set(Subject to Schache re-signing) and what we could really use is a young, ready to go, gun midfielder to both lift us next year but also contribute for the next 8-10 years at a high standard and help lead our next generation of midfielders post Beams/Zorko/Rocky/Rich. Laird seems like a prime candidate but I'd be very happy with a Parish or Hopper as well. Rory Laird is 23 and made the 40 man AA squad last year at the age of 22. He's moved into the midfield this year previously spending his time off the half back flank.
I don't really know what I am talking about here. Bit of a random, late night rambling on my behalf. I just feel like we should pursue a young, gun midfielder. A player who can contribute at a high level from next year but also for the next 10 years. Players like Laird, Parish and Hopper all fit the bill. Josh Kelly would be target number 1 but it seems like he will either stay with GWS or join North on a godfather offer.

I don't really know what I am talking about here. Bit of a random, late night rambling on my behalf. I just feel like we should pursue a young, gun midfielder. A player who can contribute at a high level from next year but also for the next 10 years. Players like Laird, Parish and Hopper all fit the bill. Josh Kelly would be target number 1 but it seems like he will either stay with GWS or join North on a godfather offer.

After watching Parish tear up the pies I hope Matho is in his ear about coming north. This kid has a load of potential. Quick hands and a smart footballer.

Jake Lever
Wayne Milera
Mitch McGovern
Darcy Parish
Josh Kelly
Devon Smith
Jacob Hopper
Matthew Kennedy

I would not say we are devoid of talent, we certainly lack depth.

My view is to wait until the end of the season to see where Ballenden, and our other academy prospects are rated, and where we finish on the ladder before we look at what out of contract players are available. I am reluctant to give up a top 5 draft pick in a trade.

I would not say we are devoid of talent, we certainly lack depth.

My view is to wait until the end of the season to see where Ballenden, and our other academy prospects are rated, and where we finish on the ladder before we look at what out of contract players are available. I am reluctant to give up a top 5 draft pick in a trade.
I'd say that we are devoid of up-and-coming midfield talent. We have Rocky, Zorko, Beams. In 3 or 4 years, they're all gone. That's where we need midfielders. Clug, Berry and Mathieson all hopefuls, but there's no guarantee there, and it isn't exactly a long list. That said, we've finally got some good KPPs for the first time in the better part of a decade.

I'd say that we are devoid of up-and-coming midfield talent. We have Rocky, Zorko, Beams. In 3 or 4 years, they're all gone. That's where we need midfielders. Clug, Berry and Mathieson all hopefuls, but there's no guarantee there, and it isn't exactly a long list. That said, we've finally got some good KPPs for the first time in the better part of a decade.

devoid
adjective
  1. entirely lacking or free from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back