2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder what happens with all of the boys who have already signed contracts for the next couple of years.
Does their contract value go up in line with the new agreement?
I would expect this has been spoken about for a couple of years and clubs have adjusted contracts accordingly

I wonder what happens with all of the boys who have already signed contracts for the next couple of years.
Not automatically but given most only have two to three year contracts it'd be reflected on the new contract signing.

Richmond board are awfully peppy about Schache lately..
With all that said, if we managed to re-sign most of our list through the three miserable years under Leppitsch, then I have the upmost confidence that we will do so once again with Fagan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pri
My fingers are crossed for a quiet trade period. I quite like our list, but we need to let this group develop rather than make wholesale changes each year. I'd say that retaining players would be a far greater priority than attracting new talent at the moment. There isn't the need to get more draft picks either with our two first rounders.

If McStay, Scache, Cutler and Rocky get signed up and there's only 5 or less senior list changes at the end of the year, I'll be really happy.
Pritty much this.

Common sense would dictate a clause that says if the salary cap goes up, the players contract rises by that percentage. I don't know, but that is what i would assume.

I wouldn't be against adding someone like David Zaharakis just to add some more experience to our side. Would be an upgrade on a guy like Bastinac. I imagine we'd have some money to throw around so we could probably front load it and offer a better deal than Essendon who have the likes of Heppell, Hooker, Hurley, Zach Merrett and Daniher to pay. I think from next year onwards we need to start being a little more competitive and Zaharakis would improve our list/depth pushing guys like Bastinac and Jansen further back in the chain. He'd be our 4th best midfielder behind DBeams, Zorko and Rocky probably competing with and just edging out Robinson/Rich.

The only issue is if Rockliff leaves as a FA nabbing Zaharakis would effect the compensation although if we did lose Rockliff the need to recruit another experienced midfielder would be an even more pressing need.

In terms of Zaharakis the player I imagine a lot of you probably don't rate him all that highly but I think he is underrated. Can be a little inconsistent at times with the odd poor game but these are fewer and farther between than people give him credit for I reckon and his best is very good. You look at a side like the Demons who recruited a 27 year old Bernie Vince at the start of their rebuild and the positive result that has been with Vince thriving with a fresh start and playing his best footy with the Dees. Perhaps Zaharakis could be our Vince? In addition to that, from all reports Zaharakis is very professional, trains hard and is a solid leader as well so he'd be a good role model for our youth.

Not sure how gettable he is or if he'd consider leaving the Bombers and moving to Queensland plus I wouldn't want to spend anything more than cap space but I think we could do worse than to add someone like him to our list. Just thought I'd put the idea out there and potentially generate some discussion.

I wouldn't be against adding someone like David Zaharakis just to add some more experience to our side. Would be an upgrade on a guy like Bastinac. I imagine we'd have some money to throw around so we could probably front load it and offer a better deal than Essendon who have the likes of Heppell, Hooker, Hurley, Zach Merrett and Daniher to pay. I think from next year onwards we need to start being a little more competitive and Zaharakis would improve our list/depth pushing guys like Bastinac and Jansen further back in the chain. He'd be our 4th best midfielder behind DBeams, Zorko and Rocky probably competing with and just edging out Robinson/Rich.

The only issue is if Rockliff leaves as a FA nabbing Zaharakis would effect the compensation although if we did lose Rockliff the need to recruit another experienced midfielder would be an even more pressing need.

In terms of Zaharakis the player I imagine a lot of you probably don't rate him all that highly but I think he is underrated. Can be a little inconsistent at times with the odd poor game but these are fewer and farther between than people give him credit for I reckon and his best is very good. You look at a side like the Demons who recruited a 27 year old Bernie Vince at the start of their rebuild and the positive result that has been with Vince thriving with a fresh start and playing his best footy with the Dees. Perhaps Zaharakis could be our Vince? In addition to that, from all reports Zaharakis is very professional, trains hard and is a solid leader as well so he'd be a good role model for our youth.

Not sure how gettable he is or if he'd consider leaving the Bombers and moving to Queensland plus I wouldn't want to spend anything more than cap space but I think we could do worse than to add someone like him to our list. Just thought I'd put the idea out there and potentially generate some discussion.
My only concern with Zaharakis will be his age. He turns 28 years next year in Feb. I like your previous comment on a another thread about targeting a younger player e.g. Hopper.

I personally reckon we need to target multiple players like Jacob Hopper, Matthew Kennedy and Harrison Himmelberg this trade period. They are the type of elite talent we need under the age of 22 in our team that we lack. We would speed up our rebuild with those 3 players having been in the system for a couple of years and would be ready to go come round 1, compared to a new draftee.

We probably have to let Rockliff go to another club via FA in order to free up the salary cap, but they are blue chip talent and worth the investment.

Last edited:
My only concern with Zaharakis will be his age. He turns 28 years next year in Feb. I like your previous comment on a another thread about targeting a younger player like a Hopper.

I personally reckon we need to target multiple players like Jacob Hopper, Matthew Kennedy and Harrison Himmelberg this trade period. They are the type of elite talent we need under the age of 22 in our team. We probably have to let Rockliff go to another club via FA order to get have the salary to get them up here, but they are blue chip talent and worth the cost.
Yeah but he should have 4 seasons of good football left in him which is all we'd really need. Just some added experience and the added bonus is he can play some high quality football. I'm not sure I'm an advocate for targeting him but definitely something to think about.

As for younger players, Matthew Kennedy is the man I reckon. Will struggle to get games at GWS which may see him leave for more opportunity. He is super talented kicking 3 goals on debut. I reckon we could outbid most teams money wise as well. I think teams will be lining up for him but I would love to add him to our list.

Realistically, if Mcstay and Cuts are exploring their options they're doing the right thing. It is important in any industry to ensure you're getting what you need for both the present and future. I wouldn't be 100% confident in our future, but say if we continue to perform like we did last week, all of a sudden we build confidence in the likes of Cutler and Mcstay and they sign before mid year.

Let's not worry about this. Come what may.

Any half decent player would always have other clubs looking at them, and most players will look at their options before signing a contract. Especially now with the new cba on the way.

Any half decent player would always have other clubs looking at them, and most players will look at their options before signing a contract. Especially now with the new cba on the way.

Not that I want to entertain it, but I'd prefer to retain Cutler over Mcstay purely from a needs perspective, but feel McStay will come on, especially if he can push into the seniors.

I agree, but i do see McStay as a more natural defender than a forward at this stage. And i also think he would be more likely to get games as a defender this year as well.
So i hope he has made the right call for himself if he is wanting to play in the forward line.
Maybe he feels on the open market he would be more valuable as a forward than a defender. And more likely to earn a bigger contract with another team more desperate for forwards. (Carlton perhaps)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back