2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Going just off that table you'd think we'd get band 1, how much was the Port contract? 720k was it?

This is the false hope that I never needed

That's the amount I heard the Blues needed to better... Still, FWIW, all reports (media & scuttlebutt) are putting him in the 700K and 800 bracket....according to the article above only 21 players earned that last year...

View attachment 424938
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-16/afl-millionaires-club-swells-to-six-players

Difficult to say. Looking at this chart from March this year there were 718 listed players in 2016 so 5% is 36 players. Only 32 were paid over $700k. Fyfe and Dusty have joined the big earners now but I can't think of anyone else that has re-signed for big bucks. It's also presumable that Ablett and possibly some others have dropped out and I'm not sure if Boyd's contract is weighed with Rocky due to his age group. Regardless, anything over $700k has to put us in the ball park as it instantly puts him in the top 5% of earners. $750k or over and it's gotta be virtually guaranteed to be band 1. $800k+ (lot to pay for Rocky but we'll see) and there's no way it's not band 1.
Just had a look at the amount of players that were over the age of 25 on AFL lists this year, there were 273 players. So by my mathematics he would have to be one of the top 13-14 earning players in the competition over the age of 25 to get us band 1, not happening you would think. As you say though the age factor complicates it, how many players 25 and under would be on big coin? The more the better as they don't come into the calculations if I am reading it right.

Players over 25 in the top 5%?- Lance Franklin, Josh Kennedy (Eagles), Scott Pendlebury, Alex Rance, Rory Sloane, Patrick Dangerfield, Dustin Martin, Michael Hurley. There has to be a few more but can't pick them out of the list as obvious big earners. You could be right we might be in with a chance, maybe Port have paid a fair way over to ward off Carlton.

Had a quick scan of the players 25 and under, these may be a few who are on big coin- Tom Lynch (suns), Dylan Shiel, Adam Trealor, Jeremy Cameron, Josh Kelly, Marcus Bontempelli.

Just had a look at the amount of players that were over the age of 25 on AFL lists this year, there were 273 players. So by my mathematics he would have to be one of the top 13-14 earning players in the competition over the age of 25 to get us band 1, not happening you would think. As you say though the age factor complicates it, how many players 25 and under would be on big coin? The more the better as they don't come into the calculations if I am reading it right.

Players over 25 in the top 5%?- Lance Franklin, Josh Kennedy (Eagles), Scott Pendlebury, Alex Rance, Rory Sloane, Patrick Dangerfield, Dustin Martin, Michael Hurley. There has to be a few more but can't pick them out of the list as obvious big earners. You could be right we might be in with a chance, maybe Port have paid a fair way over to ward off Carlton.

Had a quick scan of the players 25 and under, these may be a few who are on big coin- Tom Lynch (suns), Dylan Shiel, Adam Trealor, Jeremy Cameron, Josh Kelly, Marcus Bontempelli.
Just for clarification is the 'top 5%' referring to players over 25 or all player? By what you're saying it only applies to players over 25, but just wanted to check.

Just for clarification is the 'top 5%' referring to players over 25 or all player? By what you're saying it only applies to players over 25, but just wanted to check.
If my 57 year old brain is recalling previous posts on the matter correctly yes it is calculated on the top 5% over the age of 25 only. Length of contract also is factored into it IIRC.

I think dlanod is up on these matters?

If my 57 year old brain is recalling previous posts on the matter correctly yes it is calculated on the top 5% over the age of 25 only.
Oh then we're no chance, we'd almost be guaranteed if it included the whole competition. There is no way 720k puts him in the top 13-14 earners over 25.

If my 57 year old brain is recalling previous posts on the matter correctly yes it is calculated on the top 5% over the age of 25 only.

Yeah, you're right. Just looked and apparently it's only over 25. Though this info is from 2015.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...-to-earn-firstround-free-agency-compensation-

CLUBS will only receive a first-round compensation pick after losing a free agent in 2015 if the player's new contract ranks them among the top five per cent of AFL wage earners aged 25 and older.

It was revealed that the AFL adds all the base and additional services agreement (ASA) payments of players aged 25 or older, of whom there are about 270, to determine where the free agent's new contract sits.

AFL.com.au understands that if a free agent's new contract puts them in the top five per cent of that group at the time the free agency offer is lodged, then their former club is eligible to receive a first-round compensation pick.

To put that figure in perspective, a wage that ranks in the top five per cent of players aged 25-plus would put the free agent among the game's top 15 earners.

Despite the clubs' push to know what that might mean in dollar terms, the AFL explained it was impossible to attach a specific dollar figure to compensation because the numbers constantly changed.

That means the minimum threshold for a first-round compensation pick can change from year to year – or even week-to-week – depending on how many players aged 25 and above move into the higher earning wage category when the offer is lodged.

However, clubs left the meeting with the impression the minimum threshold had increased this year, compared to 2014, due to a surge in the number of AFL players aged 25 and above earning a high wage in 2015.

The AFL also explained that if a player's contract offer ranked in the next 10 per cent band then he would command compensation at the end of the first round, the next 15 per cent earned a second-round pick and the next 20 per cent earned a pick at the end of the second round.

Oh then we're no chance, we'd almost be guaranteed if it included the whole competition. There is no way 720k puts him in the top 13-14 earners over 25.
would be close still IMO. I reckon only 1 player per club earning 700k+ a season and even then I think a few clubs wouldn't have anyone earning that much aged 25+

Beams
Martin
Dangerfield
Fyfe
Franklin
Pendlebury
Selwood
NicNat
Tippett
Murphy
Sloane
Ablett
Kennedy

All those players (13) are on more than Rockliff will be on and thats just who I'm sure of. No point thinking about pick 2

How many more would there be over 25 on more than $720k? Fyfe, Jelwood, Nic Naitanui, JPK maybe. Who else?

How many more would there be over 25 on more than $720k? Fyfe, Jelwood, Nic Naitanui, JPK maybe. Who else?
I reckon a few contracts coming up to be renewed next year were front loaded such as Ablett, Sloane etc... so they will take a salary drop in 2018. Not sure if they consider the top 5% from this year or next years?

I reckon a few contracts coming up to be renewed next year were front loaded such as Ablett and Pendles... not sure if they do year by year or average coin per year.

That article link I posted about how the AFL formula suggested they don't put a flat dollar amount because the salaries apparently fluctuate wildly depending on how they're weighted but you'd still think they'd use the most current year as the gauge.

Despite the clubs' push to know what that might mean in dollar terms, the AFL explained it was impossible to attach a specific dollar figure to compensation because the numbers constantly changed.

That means the minimum threshold for a first-round compensation pick can change from year to year – or even week-to-week – depending on how many players aged 25 and above move into the higher earning wage category when the offer is lodged.

I think you're right that a few frontloaded would have dropped out of that. We know Ablett has because the Suns are demanding restitution for the frontloading of Ablett's contract. Pendles is close the end and they've brought in a bunch so that would make sense. God help the Swans if Tippet is still earning over $700k. I'd say it's outside shot but we're surely in with a chance. Waiting for tomorrow morning feels like waiting for Christmas morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That article link I posted about how the AFL formula suggested they don't put a flat dollar amount because the salaries apparently fluctuate wildly depending on how they're weighted but you'd still think they'd use the most current year as the gauge.

I think you're right that a few frontloaded would have dropped out of that. We know Ablett has because the Suns are demanding restitution for the frontloading of Ablett's contract. Pendles is close the end and they've brought in a bunch so that would make sense. God help the Swans if Tippet is still earning over $700k. I'd say it's outside shot but we're surely in with a chance. Waiting for tomorrow morning feels like waiting for Christmas morning.
Even if the 720k is confirmed tomorrow we still won't know unless a full list of earners over 700k are given right?

Even if the 720k is confirmed tomorrow we still won't know unless a full list of earners over 700k are given right?

That list was posted in March this year, 5 months after trade period. We probably won't see a similar list until next year and even then it doesn't detail who the players are. It really would be rough to deprive us of a band 1 if it is $720k though. How many players from that 36 could be 25+ years old? If he's the 15th highest earning player it seems pretty arbitrary to say, "oh he's band 2. Bad luck, if he was the 14th player it'd be a different story."

We have so much currency this draft, i wouldn't mind if we gave up 18 for Cameron and then went to Geelong and offered them pick 12 for Duncan, we still retain pick 1 and 19 but add with Hodge a couple of excellent players. I really believe we need to land plus Hodge 2 more walk up starts to the team and then add in Robinson and Christensen all of a sudden we have a depth.

We have so much currency this draft, i wouldn't mind if we gave up 18 for Cameron and then went to Geelong and offered them pick 12 for Duncan, we still retain pick 1 and 19 but add with Hodge a couple of excellent players. I really believe we need to land plus Hodge 2 more walk up starts to the team and then add in Robinson and Christensen all of a sudden we have a depth.

I'd like that but he apparently has no interest in leaving Geelong and they'd be pretty dumb to trade him out after his year. Maybe if Stringer nominated them and they were desperate for a pick to trade for him but doesn't seem likely.

All forms of free agency are dead.

Every single player is essentially a free agent irrespective of whether that player is contracted.

This whole nominating just the one club is farcical.

I don't recall a hell of a lot of players saying "trade me back to my home state, I don't care what club" before the free agency era either to be fair.

All forms of free agency are dead.

Every single player is essentially a free agent irrespective of whether that player is contracted.

This whole nominating just the one club is farcical.
The Afl have made it pretty clear that they want player movement. Same with the Aflpa.
But there might as well be no free agency it is effectively all the same, its just the compo thats different.
Dont like the idea of nominating 1 club for non free agents. Players have far too much power.

IMO make the initial player contracts 3 years + 1 year club option for first round draftees and 2 + 1 for the rest, after that any player coming OOC is a free agent.

We mise well make it official because essentially that is what's happening now anyway, even in contract.

If my 57 year old brain is recalling previous posts on the matter correctly yes it is calculated on the top 5% over the age of 25 only. Length of contract also is factored into it IIRC.

I think dlanod is up on these matters?

You nailed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back