2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sincerely doubt we'd have much of a chance at any of them. Daniel Robinson from the Swans is more the kind of player I think we'd be a realistic shot at barring a Beams/Christensen type of windfall. Nothing spectacular, but looks like a solid outside mid who would be a definite upgrade on our current stocks.
Agreed. It would be tough to attract those guys, particularly Aliir Aliir and Fantasia although Aliir is the kind of playing I think it'd be worth throwing a fair chunk of cash at which could peak his interest.

Last edited:
Fantasia is a gun as well and I think Impey would give us a point of difference that we lack at the moment. He has the speed, willingness to take the game on and a touch of x-factor when playing as a small forward that our senior side lacks.
I agree, i just dont think they are gettable.
Kennedy if not given much of a chance might be and Allir would be a great addition.

I agree, i just dont think they are gettable.
Kennedy if not given much of a chance might be and Allir would be a great addition.
Yeah I think Kennedy will probably be the most likely out of the four to look for opportunity elsewhere, however, we would face a lot of competition from other rival clubs. I think Impey could be attainable if we offered him slightly more than market value and Port have a poor season this year.

I'd say Harrison Himmelberg would also be getable, family lives in Queensland I believe and may struggle to find a spot in the Giants' 22 this year. Uncontracted as well I think.
I was told we could be looking for another KPD at the end of the year. Himmelbergs name I don't recall being said but he would be the perfect get IMO. Family lives locally, KPD, a lot of upside... would be cheap too you would think both salary cap and trade wise.

I actually don't rate Allir Allir; each unto their own of course.
He reads the play very well down back. He's what McStay should be when he plays in defence. Loves to fly for the ball yet position wise a lot more solid than McStay. Offers rebound as well. I think he could be a top 5 KPD in his prime.

I wouldn't be surprised if we packaged our top 5 pick in this years draft for Himmelberg and Kennedy. That's dependent on how Connor Ballenden performs. Still a long way to go, but I hope we trade in elite young talent.

In terms of Allir Allir I think we need to hold off on him. Should be a good target in 2018. He has had the one good year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we look at targeting younger players who could slot straight into our best 22 and provide us with long term options I would look at the following players who might be attainable:

Matthew Kennedy- Pick 13 in the 2015 AFL draft and entering his second season so he is out of contact. Yet to re-sign and may wait and see how this year turns out before considering his options. If he gets a lack of opportunities perhaps he'll look elsewhere. Kicked three goals on debut last year, can play as a half forward and through the midfield. His strengths are probably his ball winning ability, his strong marking ability and the fact that he is dangerous around goal. Pretty athletic for a guy 188cm tall as well. At 188cm and 89kg he is ready to go but struggling to break in to the best 22 and cement his spot at the Giants.

Aliir Aliir- Don't think he is out of contract until 2018 and it would be very hard to pry him away from a Swans side playing regular finals footy especially considering he is best 22. I would not be even remotely against the club throwing a decent contract his way, however, to try and peak his interest as he would set our spine up for the next 10 years in tandem with Andrews down back. A young, gun CHB is exactly what our side needs. He did originally live in Brisbane before moving over to WA so perhaps he same some family connections here? Wishful thinking maybe.

Orazio Fantasia- Could push himself into the same bracket as the elite small forwards in the comp among the likes of Rioli and Betts this year. Is super quick and skilful and super dangerous around goals. Is out of contract but I think it would take a fair bit to steal him from the Bombers. He is a fan favourite, entrenched in their best 22 and they'll no doubt do everything they can to keep him. However, at just 21 years of age and already playing at a high level plus with Fagan's clear desire to have a quality small forward or two(or three) in our side perhaps we'll be willing to throw some decent money at him.

Jarman Impey- Same draft as Lewy, Gardiner, McStay, NRobbo ect. so entering his 4th season this year. Has improved year to year and is in the Power's best 22. Would add a point of difference to our side with his pace. The only player currently on our list in our best 22 who has the same level of break away speed/willingness to take the game on is Tom Cutler so adding a second player with that kind of speed would make us a much faster side. I don't think he is out of contract until 2018 as well so don't know if he is gettable. He showed in 2015 that he can play as a dangerous small forward who applies defensive pressure so I imagine he is another type who Fagan would like.

I would be very happy if we added one or more of the above four players at the end of this season. All four would have a place in our best 22 and improve the overall quality of our senior side and the added bonus is that all four are aged 22 or younger so they would be apart of both our long and short term future and potentially speed up our rebuild(Particularly if we added Aliir Aliir and one of the other three). I'd imagine we'd have some money to spend so we could probably offer the likes of Kennedy, Aliir and Impey more money than their respective clubs can as all three of the Giants, Swans and Port have a bit of a salary cap squeeze.

You can take Orazio off the list.
Just signed a contract extension with the Bombers.

You can take Orazio off the list.
Just signed a contract extension with the Bombers.

We were so close to getting him as well. Dissapointing.

I was told we could be looking for another KPD at the end of the year. Himmelbergs name I don't recall being said but he would be the perfect get IMO. Family lives locally, KPD, a lot of upside... would be cheap too you would think both salary cap and trade wise.
Off to Carlton in a few years.

I think Aliir is at his best in Sydnegsbey's structured defence. Throw him in our's and he'll look a lot less accomplished.
r
Agree, it's the situation where you are a better player because of the actual team you play in. He'll young though with lots of development still ahead but I think we actually have enough young KPP's in general. I would be going hard athe midfield the next few years and then look to FA or trade for a BIG KPD.
I wouldn't be surprised if we packaged our top 5 pick in this years draft for Himmelberg and Kennedy. That's dependent on how Connor Ballenden performs. Still a long way to go, but I hope we trade in elite young talent.

In terms of Allir Allir I think we need to hold off on him. Should be a good target in 2018. He has had the one good year.
Make it Kennedy and Hopper for Ports first (if it wasn't the higher pick)and maybe something coming back as well.

Might be a waste of time in March looking at trade targets.
Each to their own. There is always a bit of a lull in discussion in that week when the pre season matches end and before the real season starts so I thought I'd generate a bit of discussion. When throwing up names it tends to generate discussion surrounding which type of players we need positional wise ect. and I find that it can lead to quality discussions.

If you aren't interested/see it as a waste of time by all means don't click on the thread:thumbsu:

I think Aliir is at his best in Sydney's structured defence. Throw him in our's and he'll look a lot less accomplished.
I'd be extremely surprised if he left to be honest, however, I don't think you can make such a statement until you see him in a lesser sides defence. He'd naturally concede more goals simply due to the fact that we as an overall side concede more than the Swans but in saying that Andrews looks like a future star for us and if you placed him in the Swans backline he'd look even better. Point being I think Aliir is a quality KPD particularly for such a young player and I think he could contribute to our backline more than any other KPD on our list except for maybe Andrews. That is just my opinion though as I said above we'd have to see him in a lesser side to truly know how he'd perform.

Oh and by the way, I have clearly jinxed us and all other sides now that Fantasia has re-signed today. Expect Aliir to sign an extension on his existing contract tomorrow, likewise Impey the following day and finally Matthew Kennedy the day after that:D

I'm not one to discuss much in this thread, but it seems silly for people to be against this thread as it ultimately keeps this sort of chatter out of other threads and it can make for interesting reading when posters share their insight on outside players.

Each to their own. There is always a bit of a lull in discussion in that week when the pre season matches end and before the real season starts so I thought I'd generate a bit of discussion. When throwing up names it tends to generate discussion surrounding which type of players we need positional wise ect. and I find that it can lead to quality discussions.

If you aren't interested/see it as a waste of time by all means don't click on the thread:thumbsu:
It is pretty much the only thread that has got any traffic today, so well done i say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back