2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Greenwood is an interesting one, has a lot to really like about him, still not signed beyond this year.

Seen an article posted on the Adelaide board where discussion became about Lever, McGovern and his contracts. Went along the lines of him being in a very diffferent position to them. Being a late starter this is an important contract to set him up financially, with his potential earning window being so much narrower. Will be interesting to see what type of offers he will get, would be someone that interests a lot of clubs.

Greenwood is an interesting one, has a lot to really like about him, still not signed beyond this year.

Seen an article posted on the Adelaide board where discussion became about Lever, McGovern and his contracts. Went along the lines of him being in a very diffferent position to them. Being a late starter this is an important contract to set him up financially, with his potential earning window being so much narrower. Will be interesting to see what type of offers he will get, would be someone that interests a lot of clubs.
I like him. Has something a bit different. I notice a lot of his centre clearances are to the Crows advantage which is something we are abysmal in. He's a good athlete as well and certainly cracks in when it's his time to go.

I don't think he can sign on yet. Cat B rookie and will be elevated to senior list but until seasons end there is no spot. Greenwood will have a deal in front of him. No way he is going anywhere.

Ran into Close and Bewick in Woolworths late yesterday. Was a little taken back by two things with Close 1. How tall the guy actually is and 2. How skinny he is. He's often referred to as having a mature body on this board. But I can't see it. My partner even commented to me "wow he's skinny, I always thought football players would have a heap more muscle then that"...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ran into Close and Bewick in Woolworths late yesterday. Was a little taken back by two things with Close 1. How tall the guy actually is and 2. How skinny he is. He's often referred to as having a mature body on this board. But I can't see it. My partner even commented to me "wow he's skinny, I always thought football players would have a heap more muscle then that"...

Close is an elite runner. Not really known for his physical presence and thats maybe why he hasnt cracked it at senior level.

Generally elite sports (world wide) has turned to a slimmer body size for agility and injury prevention. The days of full hulks are pretty much gone, look at most players these days and they arnt huge, bar the Steph Martins and the Majak Daws of the world, of coarse.

Think he is thinner through the legs and middle but he he is 2 pick axes wide across the shoulders. He is a beast since he spent time in the gym with is knee reco

Found this line interesting in an article on the AFL website:

Jarrad McVeigh
Likely to move on at the end of the year – there’s an outside chance of one last season at a rival club – before moving into a coaching role.

McVeigh was injured for the first half of the year but has put forward a pretty good month of footy. Certainly, it doesn't appear that the game has passed him by. His quality as a footballer is clear and he's been a leader at a great club for a really long time. If he can get on the paddock, he'd be a really worthwhile target to chase. Of course, the risk is his body failing him. While he's now played a month straight, the reality is that his season was significantly disrupted by a calf and then hamstring injury. They aren't good injuries for older players trying to prove that they could go around again.

In terms of leadership and coaching IP, getting someone out of the Sydney system would be valuable, to go alongside our recently acquired Hawthorn and Adelaide knowledge. I put those three clubs as the best run in the comp - perhaps alongside Geelong.

Further, while we've had some success recently with coaches who aren't former AFL players, getting a newly retired elite player would be a good get. I think that would maintain our balance between guys who have done the hard yards coaching local and junior footy vs guys who are bringing a wealth of senior level playing experience to the table.

Found this line interesting in an article on the AFL website:

McVeigh was injured for the first half of the year but has put forward a pretty good month of footy. Certainly, it doesn't appear that the game has passed him by. His quality as a footballer is clear and he's been a leader at a great club for a really long time. If he can get on the paddock, he'd be a really worthwhile target to chase. Of course, the risk is his body failing him. While he's now played a month straight, the reality is that his season was significantly disrupted by a calf and then hamstring injury. They aren't good injuries for older players trying to prove that they could go around again.

In terms of leadership and coaching IP, getting someone out of the Sydney system would be valuable, to go alongside our recently acquired Hawthorn and Adelaide knowledge. I put those three clubs as the best run in the comp - perhaps alongside Geelong.

Further, while we've had some success recently with coaches who aren't former AFL players, getting a newly retired elite player would be a good get. I think that would maintain our balance between guys who have done the hard yards coaching local and junior footy vs guys who are bringing a wealth of senior level playing experience to the table.
And would be especially nice to win a couple more games to make ourselves that little bit more attractive to guys like him, Hodge, Burgoyne et al.

Generally elite sports (world wide) has turned to a slimmer body size for agility and injury prevention. The days of full hulks are pretty much gone, look at most players these days and they arnt huge, bar the Steph Martins and the Majak Daws of the world, of coarse.

I sometimes wonder too if elite athletes made of lean muscle and carrying 6% body fat are just starting to look a bit small up against the ever widening bodies of the rest of the population.

From the academy thread-
Kobe Tozer
Queensland
HT: 194cm
WT: 83kg
DOB: 1/3/01

Strong marking, athletic tall forward who consistently presented to the ball carrier. Tozer averaged 16 disposals, six marks and three goals per game in the Championships. Stamped himself as his team's focal point in Queensland's final match with a 20-touch, nine-mark and five-goal game against Northern Territory. Part of the Brisbane Lions academy.

What are we going to do with all these KPFs? Hipwood, Schache, Ballenden, Tozer then we have Walker, Freeman, Hamellmann and Close, you would think at least 1 of the latter 3 are gone at the end of the year. I don't think there would be any interest in Hammer for trade although IMO there could be a club or 2 out there who would be interested in giving Freeman a shot, he can clunk marks. Best we could hope for would be a 3rd round pick but more likely 4th round or they will just wait for us to delist him. I would like us to give Close 1 more year.

From the academy thread-
Kobe Tozer
Queensland
HT: 194cm
WT: 83kg
DOB: 1/3/01

Strong marking, athletic tall forward who consistently presented to the ball carrier. Tozer averaged 16 disposals, six marks and three goals per game in the Championships. Stamped himself as his team's focal point in Queensland's final match with a 20-touch, nine-mark and five-goal game against Northern Territory. Part of the Brisbane Lions academy.

What are we going to do with all these KPFs? Hipwood, Schache, Ballenden, Tozer then we have Walker, Freeman, Hamellmann and Close, you would think at least 1 of the latter 3 are gone at the end of the year. I don't think there would be any interest in Hammer for trade although IMO there could be a club or 2 out there who would be interested in giving Freeman a shot, he can clunk marks. Best we could hope for would be a 3rd round pick but more likely 4th round or they will just wait for us to delist him. I would like us to give Close 1 more year.

Noting Hammelman and TIckner had similar dominant reviews at the end of under 16 championships. Hammer fell to the rookie draft, tickner was never picked up. a lot can happen in 2 years time so theres a chance he wouldn't be around for us to draft in the first place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noting Hammelman and TIckner had similar dominant reviews at the end of under 16 championships. Hammer fell to the rookie draft, tickner was never picked up. a lot can happen in 2 years time so theres a chance he wouldn't be around for us to draft in the first place

Very much this. Even the mids generally get either overrated based on performances against substandard opposition or don't develop as they might - Conway, Rolls. Going back a bit further, Austin Lucy. Hipwood and Andrews are the exception - guys who really developed in their draft year.

Very much this. Even the mids generally get either overrated based on performances against substandard opposition or don't develop as they might - Conway, Rolls. Going back a bit further, Austin Lucy. Hipwood and Andrews are the exception - guys who really developed in their draft year.

Andrews still went very late. I'd say Keays and Hipwood are the exceptions.

Last years draft was interesting taking Clugg and Cox who were late bloomers and had big final years but also Berry, Witherden and Allison who had big underage years but struggled in their final year for different reasons.

Conole said on that podcast they use their under 16 year as a reference for comparing players who were injured in their final year like Withers.

From what I've seen of the NEAFL highlights Close seems to have been amongst our best for some weeks. If he doesn't get a chance in the seniors soon it might be an indication that he isn't in our forward planning.

It's amusing that at one stage we were desperate for quality KPPs and now mostly thanks to the academy we have them piling up. So many gun and potential gun KPPs. An elite mid or two would be nice.

Despite the fact that a bit more diversity in our top line players from the academy would be nice, if we have to have a certain type, I'm certainly glad they're mostly talls rather then the other way around. To have most of our kpp's as locals is a huge win retention wise just due to the more limited volume of good talls when compared to miss.

Close deserves another year and we need the depth. I'm starting the Close bandwagon. Get on board. Still young for a KPF and his running is something to build on. Plays team football.

My gut feeling is that Hammer has better ground skills than Freeman so would be more inclined to try to keep Hammer and trade Freeman. If Ballenden is the prototype forward/ruck, then he would take Freeman's role for mine, and Freeman doesn't impress me at all when rucking. We can't develop them all, without disrupting the balance of the twos.

I've been really impressed by Eagles's marking. His age is probably against him, but I'd love to see him play that forward-ruck role. Anyway, probably not going to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back