2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
big footy is all about wishes, wants and gossip. You might need to try elsewhere for actual information

Plenty of great information around here, if you know who to talk to.

pauldrc

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2020 Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2019 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2018 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2017 Brisbane Lions - Allen Christensen Player Sponsor 2016 Brisbane Lions - Dayne Beams Player Sponsor 2015 Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - 2013 Elliot Yeo Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - 2013 Daniel Rich Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Brisbane 2010 Player Sponsor
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GC Suns
I thought it was relatively smart of Port. Mackenzie won't cost much, and if they can get him back to form, he'll be lethal. Thomas is decent depth. They clearly view themselves as competing for the cup (can't blame them after all the free agents they picked up) so cover for injuries is important.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Port will make the GF next year. Insane team they have now although their defence is poor. A few of their better players didn't play great footy this year and I reckon with the added support they have brought in especially through the midfield with Rocky will release the likes of Wingard, Gray and lesser extent Boak to play a bit more outside and more time up forward where they are deadly.

They lost a bit of depth though but definitely improved their best 22 by quiet a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

25 years on

Senior List
Oct 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Though the later is obviously preferable, in a depth sense the previous is still an improvement.
We would still have Bell and Bewick. I go for minimal depth, but should it be required give the young guys a bit of experience in the seniors. The only time depth is vital is the finals and we are not there yet.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Port will make the GF next year. Insane team they have now although their defence is poor. A few of their better players didn't play great footy this year and I reckon with the added support they have brought in especially through the midfield with Rocky will release the likes of Wingard, Gray and lesser extent Boak to play a bit more outside and more time up forward where they are deadly.

They lost a bit of depth though but definitely improved their best 22 by quiet a bit.

Big jump from not beating a top 8 team to making the GF

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Big jump from not beating a top 8 team to making the GF
Maybe, but I reckon they are better placed than the Tigers and Dogs were the year before they won their premierships. I think a bit has to do with Kens game plan a bit though but they have bolstered their footy department and will no doubt tweak their structures to improve their deficiencies. I reckon their confidence will be pretty damn high right now going into preseason as well... and thats half the battle won already.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hows this for a silly idea, now that we have delisted nearly every other forward that got in his way, we redraft Freeman as a rookie and hope that he has had the scare to get him back to the form he showed pre Schache

I actually don’t think he showed great form pre Schache. I know everybody raves about his bag against the Pies at the G. I actually flew down and attend that game, at the time I thought three of his goals were quite serendipitous rather then good skill based.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I actually don’t think he showed great form pre Schache. I know everybody raves about his bag against the Pies at the G. I actually flew down and attend that game, at the time I thought three of his goals were quite serendipitous rather then good skill based.

Yep. One good mark and three fell his way.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe, but I reckon they are better placed than the Tigers and Dogs were the year before they won their premierships. I think a bit has to do with Kens game plan a bit though but they have bolstered their footy department and will no doubt tweak their structures to improve their deficiencies. I reckon their confidence will be pretty damn high right now going into preseason as well... and thats half the battle won already.

Those sorts of expectations following topping up and over confidence can back fire. Port will under enormous pressure to deliver. Tigers & Dogs went into their flag seasons just hoping to make the finals.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Getting the pieces is just one part of it, getting it all to come together is much more difficult.

Port still don't strike me as close to the most imposing team next year, but they might be the most interesting now. Fascinating case study.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
They had next to zero injuries this year, had an easier draw (than what they're getting in 2018) and has been already been pointed out, still couldn't beat a team in the eight.

Lots of imports by Free Agency/top ups might need a bit of work to incorpoate withgout upsetting the team dynamic.

I'm far from sold on them.

They still have substantial "Bust" risk attached in my view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back