Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Port have up picked Jack Trengove.

476E3E82-1DBA-4610-A7E3-0C231EDEB2AB.png

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would love Jack to get a sustained run at it in their top side, has had a horrid run with injury and has never whinged about it, comes across as a really top fella.

Best of luck Jack.
Same. Really glad to see him get given another chance

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
Team of plodders ! Won't gel and will slide

No sense to go this way. After a reasonable year , they were not even close to the top couple of teams

Think cotchy has got expectations ahead of reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't mind the list strategy personally. Especially with the position they are in. I'm going early and saying Essendon/Port Grand Final next year.

B: T. Jonas, T. Clurey, D. Byrne-Jones
HB: J. Pittard, D. Howard, H. Hartlett
C: T. Boak, B. Ebert, J. Polec
HF: C. Wingard, J. Watts, S. Motlop
F: R. Gray, C. Dixon, J. Westhoff
R: P. Ryder, O. Wines, T. Rockliff
Int: S. Powell-Pepper,(Insert 3)

Jack Trengove, Lindsay Thomas, Trent McKenzie, Jack Hombsch, Matthew Broadbent, Riley Bonner, Sam Gray, Karl Amon, Jake Neade, Aidyn Johnson, Joe Atley and Todd Marshall.

Some decent depth imo. If they stay injury free, they will be dangerous.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
They had next to zero injuries this year, had an easier draw (than what they're getting in 2018) and has been already been pointed out, still couldn't beat a team in the eight.

Lots of imports by Free Agency/top ups might need a bit of work to incorpoate withgout upsetting the team dynamic.

I'm far from sold on them.

They still have substantial "Bust" risk attached in my view.
Agree with all that luthor, especially injuries, they are a massive factor as to how you go in any particular season, you often hear pundits saying "injuries are no excuse". That is a load of crap, of course they are. You can't tell me that if the Tigers had Rance and Martin out injured for the majority of the season they would have still won the flag.

Port had a really good run with injuries in 2016, very rarely you get 2 seasons in a row like that.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Agree with all that luthor, especially injuries, they are a massive factor as to how you go in any particular season, you often hear pundits saying "injuries are no excuse". That is a load of crap, of course they are. You can't tell me that if the Tigers had Rance and Martin out injured for the majority of the season they would have still won the flag.

Port had a really good run with injuries in 2016, very rarely you get 2 seasons in a row like that.

Two teams had minimal injuries throughout season 2017

One of them won the Premiership.

The other one ran 7th after being unable to beat a Dad's army WCE at home

Like you, I remain sceptical

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If a club can afford all those players then why not. You only need 2 or 3 of them to be a success for it work out and they haven't paid much for them.
certainly not like the Voss recruitment drive that's for sure. Vossy paid a years worth of draft picks for average players, Ken has spent hardly anything for the quality he has brought in. Great year to go hard at FA/trade ins as well considering the strength of the draft.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
certainly not like the Voss recruitment drive that's for sure. Vossy paid a years worth of draft picks for average players, Ken has spent hardly anything for the quality he has brought in. Great year to go hard at FA/trade ins as well considering the strength of the draft.

I think it just isn't that simple, lest every other club, or presumably at least a few of them would attempt the same strategy. Massive amount of water to go under the bridge on this one.

Free agency has certainly made this sort of strategy easier to execute while still staying in the draft at the same time thats for sure. Whether it works out any better remains to be seen but it is unlikely to be any where near as damaging long term as 2009 was for us.

Geez we can't time anything right as a club. We compete for premierships (and arguably it costs us a 4th) before the abolish the mandatory final in Melbourne every week rule. We use a top up strategy before free agency comes in. We finish down near the bottom of the ladder during a period of compromised draftsman, and them we get pick one in a year where there isn't a lay down elite pick 1 prospect.

What next?

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Free agency has certainly made this sort of strategy easier to execute while still staying in the draft at the same time thats for sure. Whether it works out any better remains to be seen but it is unlikely to be any where near as damaging long term as 2009 was for us.

Geez we can't time anything right as a club. We compete for premierships (and arguably it costs us a 4th) before the abolish the mandatory final in Melbourne every week rule. We use a top up strategy before free agency comes in. We finish down near the bottom of the ladder during a period of compromised draftsman, and them we get pick one in a year where there isn't a lay down elite pick 1 prospect.

What next?

You forgot having a sustained down period right after the AFL significantly weakened access to priority picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back