List Mgmt. 2017 Trade and Free Agency Discussion - Jay Clark Twitter watch

Discussion in 'Melbourne Demons' started by Striker475, Oct 21, 2016.

1. VitalDread

VitalDread The Unofficial Face of Bigfooty Bulldogs

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bulls
    Oct 9, 2011
    Cranbourne
    Narrrrr he ain't leaving

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Willo 17

Willo 17 Rookie

Melbourne
    Aug 26, 2017
    Don't want Stringer, Dahlhaus or Trengrove, not even sure I want Lever. Anymore Hibberd types floating around?.

3. ABray10

ABray10 Rookie

Melbourne
    Aug 30, 2017
    Would like to add Lever to partner with Omac and Frost down back and release Tmac to the forward line and spare ruck role, however only if we don't end up badly overpaying for him. Don't want to be in the kind of position where we cripple our trade / draft position for two years on one player. Still it would be great to see him in the red and blue next year.

Theo X and mrmonkey like this.
  4. Willo 17

Willo 17 Rookie

Melbourne
    Aug 26, 2017
    Talk in Adelaide is similar to what Carlton did to them with Gibbs, 2 first rounders = overs.

00Stinger likes this.
  5. Demonkings

Demonkings Debutant

Melbourne
    Jun 25, 2017
    Well I suppose that's for the best. Even if he wanted to leave, we wouldn't realistically stand a chance since we're probably throwing most of our tradeable assets at Lever.

We'll probably be a lot more appealing to him in a year after we're 2018 premiers anyway

00Stinger likes this.
  6. mrmonkey

mrmonkey Club Legend

Melbourne
    Dec 3, 2010
    Melbourne
    I agree I want to see the club trying to still bring in talent through the draft. I can cop this year missing a first rounder but not next years as well, which is meant to be a super draft and the fact it would be 3 years in a row without a first round pick. Though first round picks won't necessarily mean the players we get will be any good. But it still gives us a better shot of landing a gun rather than fluking one later in the draft.

7. Topkent

Topkent Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Or we could take a 21 year all Australian defender instead of hoping for one in the draft... people over rate the hell out of picks

00Stinger and booshboy like this.
  8. ABray10

ABray10 Rookie

Melbourne
    Aug 30, 2017
    No doubt he is a gun player, and picks do tend to be overrated, but I don't want to trade two first rounders for an intercept defender. Not necessarily because I think we will draft two better players, but your draft picks are one of your main forms of trade currency and I would like to leave us with some to chase other players as well. A first and a second is fair, and would be putting a reasonably high value on Lever.

Sellout Scully and Willo 17 like this.
  9. Topkent

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    First round is a nominal word that describes 18 picks, in reality if we make finals next year it's pick 10 and 12 say. Would you be OK with losing Hogan for 10 and 12? On the points system that's essentially a top 3 pick or something.

I'd love to give as little as possible but lever for 10 and 28 would be a steal.

00Stinger likes this.
  10. ABray10

ABray10 Rookie

Melbourne
    Aug 30, 2017
    I hope Hogan doesn't leave, but if he did want to go then I would be pretty damn happy with pick 10 and 12. While I would be less happy with 10 and 28, I also know realistically that it is a pretty good return for a player who wants to be traded. I also tend to value key forwards higher than defenders and I think that is a fairly common trend across the AFL

11. Topkent

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Well I disagree with that trend. I reckon Alex Rance is more valuable than Josh Kennedy or Tom Lynch. The way footy is played these days I reckon gun defenders win more games for teams than forwards these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. 00Stinger

00Stinger Duel Group 1 winner

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
    May 8, 2007
    @ HOME
    Yep.
    21 year old AA squad intercept markers dont grow on trees.
    He will be peaking at the same time as Trac, Hogan, Brayshaw, Viney, Oliver & Weed as well.
    He makes so much sense to recruit imo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Demon4123, Topkent and Demonkings like this.
  13. Topkent

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Intercept marking is more important than one on one defending now as well, you never really see one outs where the bloke is leading towards the footy anymore anyway it's all inside zones or out the back. Currently we don't really have anyone who reads the ball strongly in the air and to get the best young player at it in the game would be immense.

00Stinger likes this.
  14. VitalDread

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bulls
    Oct 9, 2011
    Cranbourne
    Heard Jay Kennedy Harris will be traded mid year so more than likely it still happens

15. wheaters31

wheaters31 Debutant

Melbourne
    Oct 10, 2014
    Elaborate please

16. Topkent

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    We re-contracted him later in the year?
    Can't see us getting anything outside a very late pick.

17. 00Stinger

00Stinger Duel Group 1 winner

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
    May 8, 2007
    @ HOME
    Yep. The best defenders in the league these days are intercept markers, not one on one defenders

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Topkent likes this.
  18. Topkent

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Footy has changed. Neither of Hurley or Rance take the best forward anymore. You find a bloke to nullify them and then let the star defenders pick off the poor kicks. McGovern is another who doesn't take the best forward.

Flyswatter, 00Stinger and The Dr like this.
  19. mrmonkey

mrmonkey Club Legend

Melbourne
    Dec 3, 2010
    Melbourne
    Haha you're probably right as you pointed out he is only 21, I'm just being greedy.

20. Topkent

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    The Melbourne man in me says a first and a second but that's because every supporter wants to win a trade. That would feel like we came out on top. In reality 2x 1sts with Adelaides second either this year or next which would be 33-36 is probably fair.

mrmonkey, SuperCrouchBros and saj_21 like this.
  21. VitalDread

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bulls
    Oct 9, 2011
    Cranbourne
    He's out of contract this year
    Re-signed in 2015 to 2017
    Unless I missed some signings

22. VitalDread

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bulls
    Oct 9, 2011
    Cranbourne
    Just heard hes looking for more games and a fresh start
    Rippa bloke so if melb offer a deal He should take it

23. Devastating Boris

Devastating Boris Club Legend

Melbourne
    Apr 21, 2008
    Canberra
    I heard Carlton were sniffing but pretty sure he got a 1 year extension a few months back.

Theo X likes this.
  24. The Dr

The Dr Premiership Player

Melbourne
    Jun 20, 2007
    Melbourne
    We'd be lucky to get third rounders for Kent and JKH if they both request trades.

But if that does happen maybe we can package up three third-rounders for a decent second round pick, assuming that still is attractive for the clubs needing points for academy kids.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

25. Russian Demon

Russian Demon Club Legend

Melbourne
    Mar 26, 2015
    Lets keep all the thirds we can! I'd rather half a half dozen speculative kids running around at Casey than the unpicked plodders who have maxed their potential.

Topkent likes this.