List Mgmt. 2017 Trade and Free Agency Discussion - #Leverpulled and #Harleyrevved

Remove this Banner Ad

The media just want more things to make a comparison to.

Its another tool for clubs, absolutely - but when we're giving something up I hope the discussion is more than ... oh its just pick 5
Surely you don’t think that was the entirety of the discussion...? Even Jackson didn’t simplify it that much, it was a passing point.

I don’t think it necessarily is, most clubs and the media are referring tot trades by their point value now. It’s the new way to look at it.

Even without that. Success rates on draft picks are lower than established players.
A bad system is not better than no system.

Come on, man. Lever would have been on holiday somewhere or lounging around in Melbourne. It's not like he was locked up on Manus Island until a trade was done. I agree it would have been some relief to him that it got done early, but if a week at the trade period is causing a player psychological damage, then we probably don't want that guy at the club.

I thought the main point of getting deals done early was giving the club time to focus on other deals. We only had the Watts and Balic deals to go through, and there doesn't appear to have been any overly complex or drawn out negotiations there. If there was something else in the works, it fell through and the club was quiet about it.

So us paying Adelaide overs to get the deal done sooner doesn't appear to have benefited us at all. If we get Rory Laird for a second rounder next season, I'll change my tune, but otherwise, the "duty of care" to the player is weak. If you think that was the case for Lever, then we had a "duty of care" to keep Watts around because that was what he wanted.
Who said anything about psychological damage? We paid the market rate rather than trying to screw Adelaide over for unders which they probably wouldn't have accepted anyway. I don't understand how everyone is still so hung up over the Lever deal when it was definitely a fair price to pay and if this is the kind of thing that upsets you you're probably better off finding another hobby.

What were his comments?
Was on SEN this morning and suggested he'd be a good fit for the Dees to replace Watts, and that he has a good relationship with Goody and McCartney from their time together at Essendon.

I didn't actually hear it, so I don't know whether he was just spit balling, or if there has actually been discussions. But given it's not the first we've heard of it, and players seldom make those sorts of suggestions without something behind it, I'd suggest the latter.

VitalDread has mentioned it a few times I'm pretty sure.

Was on SEN this morning and suggested he'd be a good fit for the Dees to replace Watts, and that he has a good relationship with Goody and McCartney from their time together at Essendon.

I didn't actually hear it, so I don't know whether he was just spit balling, or if there has actually been discussions. But given it's not the first we've heard of it, and players seldom make those sorts of suggestions without something behind it, I'd suggest the latter.

Hoping it’s not right but I think what you say is correct. Why would he make claims like that if there was nothing

Hoping it’s not right but I think what you say is correct. Why would he make claims like that if there was nothing
Question is what's better - a cooked Cramieri or pick 47.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was listening to it and I felt he was just spit balling because Garry Lyon asked the question. I felt he was just trying to say he's still has a lot to offer and would fit in at any club.

If Crameri's body is fine and he passed a medical i wouldn't be against signing him at all, thats a big if tho, missed a tone of football recently.

Mmm kind of - my main issue is the spinning of the trade down to a theoretical pick 5 value.

I'd rather we acknowledge what we are paying rather then trivialize what we gave up - does that make sense?

I see. Yes I agree with you on that point.

Were the 2 picks exactly the same value as pick 5? No. It's not the same thing, although in this instance it's probably not a bad guide.

If Crameri's body is fine and he passed a medical i wouldn't be against signing him at all, thats a big if tho, missed a tone of football recently.
Well that plus he looks like a wall.

Also Congrats on making that the 4444th reply on this thread

Agree.

Simple communication between the club and player manager is all it would have taken. Due dilligence at the trade table.

A smart club always keeps its options open. Adelaide were in a delicate position and we needlessly jumped the gun.

In future, clubs will automatically play hardball with us (irrespective of circumstances) as we're building a reputation for rollovers.

Come on, man. Lever would have been on holiday somewhere or lounging around in Melbourne. It's not like he was locked up on Manus Island until a trade was done. I agree it would have been some relief to him that it got done early, but if a week at the trade period is causing a player psychological damage, then we probably don't want that guy at the club.

I thought the main point of getting deals done early was giving the club time to focus on other deals. We only had the Watts and Balic deals to go through, and there doesn't appear to have been any overly complex or drawn out negotiations there. If there was something else in the works, it fell through and the club was quiet about it.

So us paying Adelaide overs to get the deal done sooner doesn't appear to have benefited us at all. If we get Rory Laird for a second rounder next season, I'll change my tune, but otherwise, the "duty of care" to the player is weak. If you think that was the case for Lever, then we had a "duty of care" to keep Watts around because that was what he wanted.

Melbourne: 'Hi Adelaide, it seems as though you are upset with Lever for wanting to leave'.

Adelaide: 'yes, he is a campaigner, and we are still butt sore about losing the GF. That's why we are sniping him in the press'.

Melbourne: 'well he's coming to us. You know it and we know it. How about we give you the other first rounder you're after and wrap this up quickly so that you can move on Gibbs and we can look at other things too. All we ask is that you don't pot him or his character any further, because we want our man to be perceived positively upon arrival, and we want to buy some loyalty by showing him that we will look after him from the outset'.

Adelaide: 'that is fair and reasonable. Done deal. Thanks Melbourne, you're a good guy and we'll come to you first next year, if we have any wantaways or deals we'd like to discuss'.

Melbourne: 'great. Enjoy our 2018 pick number 18'.

Talks cooled down mid year so doubt he will come over now

I see. Yes I agree with you on that point.

Were the 2 picks exactly the same value as pick 5? No. It's not the same thing, although in this instance it's probably not a bad guide.

It was our two picks plus the picks we got back equalling pick 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back