List Mgmt. 2017 Trade and Free Agency Discussion - #Leverpulled and #Harleyrevved

Remove this Banner Ad

I started this at a similar point last year...so it's time to go again!

List of 2017 Free Agents (as of 21/10/16)

The big names on that list:
- Nat Fyfe
- Dustin Martin
- Josh P Kennedy
- Josh J Kennedy
- Tom Rockliff
- Steven Motlop

The other name on that list that does interest me is Jasper Pittard.

I think we have been front end loading contracts for years waiting for the chance to throw money at one of the comps stars but just about every other supporter probably thinks the same about their club. Where we finish next season will determine how attractive we are to whoever we chase.

Am I alone in thinking we shouldn't be throwing the house at any of those players? If they are banging the door down to come and will play for a price that fits with our other players then fine. But a buddy type deal to pry a free agent loose isn't where I think we should be going. Trade high into the draft and use the now awesome development team we have.

Am I alone in thinking we shouldn't be throwing the house at any of those players? If they are banging the door down to come and will play for a price that fits with our other players then fine. But a buddy type deal to pry a free agent loose isn't where I think we should be going. Trade high into the draft and use the now awesome development team we have.
Agree. Can't think of an example of a side selling the farm to get a mega star in and having that lead them to a flag. I.e buddy, judd etc. It would be great to get Fyfe, but our main priority is to keep our current group of players together for the next 10 years.

Last edited:
I started this at a similar point last year...so it's time to go again!

List of 2017 Free Agents (as of 21/10/16)

The big names on that list:
- Nat Fyfe
- Dustin Martin
- Josh P Kennedy
- Josh J Kennedy
- Tom Rockliff
- Steven Motlop

The other name on that list that does interest me is Jasper Pittard.

we're well stocked in that position (Pittard) with Hunt, Melksham and the other supporting cast. He butchers the ball way too often too. We've already got enough of those as well! Moving forward, I only see us bringing in smart users of the footy with good disposal efficiency. Its probably our most deficient area and imo they'll be looking to address it over the next 1-2 trade/draft periods. Provided we can i see us being genuine contenders in the next 2-3 years. Hibberd and Lewis are a great start

Last edited:
Forget Fyfe.. There is a bloke coming out of contract at the end of 2017 who hasn't even started contract talks with the club yet and his name is Isaac Heeney. I know him and Petracca caught up couple of weeks ago as they are very close mates along with Brayshaw. Reason why id rather Heeney then Fyfe is obviously the worry on Fyfes leg, and Heeney is younger and potentially a superstar who could take the competition by storm.

Remember we bid for Heeney too so i have no doubt he'll right on the top of our list.

Would make no sense for Heeney to leave, he's an Academy player it would make a mockery out of the home grown talent crap the swans are pushing
If we have more money to throw at him and better prospects for a flag then it'd make sense. I agree though that he's unlikely to leave. The hometown stuff/having the Swans put so much time into him would give them a strong bargaining position and a good relationship with him already. Would be very hard to get over here (and would cost a lot in a trade).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically, I'd like to take a look at Kreuzer. If we're where we expect to be at the end of 2017 - the six to nine mark - we'll be in a strong position to attract players. Obviously his career hasn't panned out as expected, but he could really be that ruck/forward we've been craving. More importantly, he could ruck long stretches and we could plonk big Maxy up forward to stretch taller defences.

Would make no sense for Heeney to leave, he's an Academy player it would make a mockery out of the home grown talent crap the swans are pushing
Bit of a salary cap squeeze at the Swans right now. They'll fit him in, but may struggle if someone offers him massive money.

Realistically, I'd like to take a look at Kreuzer. If we're where we expect to be at the end of 2017 - the six to nine mark - we'll be in a strong position to attract players. Obviously his career hasn't panned out as expected, but he could really be that ruck/forward we've been craving. More importantly, he could ruck long stretches and we could plonk big Maxy up forward to stretch taller defences.

I like it.

Feels good to know we still have a fair whack in dead weight to shift off the books in 2-3 years. Lafumbles wil be on a bit, and (dare i say it), i think with Hibberd coming, Melkshakes will be shipped off at the end of his contract to make way for kids.

Forget Fyfe.. There is a bloke coming out of contract at the end of 2017 who hasn't even started contract talks with the club yet and his name is Isaac Heeney. I know him and Petracca caught up couple of weeks ago as they are very close mates along with Brayshaw. Reason why id rather Heeney then Fyfe is obviously the worry on Fyfes leg, and Heeney is younger and potentially a superstar who could take the competition by storm.

Remember we bid for Heeney too so i have no doubt he'll right on the top of our list.

I agree Heeney would be my target. He will be a great addition. The others have baggage or r will want 2 much$$$$$

The only person who thinks Heeney will finish 2017 out of contract is Damian Barrett. There is absolutely zero chance of Sydney losing Heeney and his contract extension hasn't popped up out of nowhere. Swans have known he'd need a pay rise for this extension for a few years now and it's been forecast and planned. Losing Mitchell, Nankervis and potentially XR & Towers means Sydney also has some extra space should they need to up his offer a bit.

Hunter boy, barracked for Sydney, been at the club via academy since he was 12. Sydney will have him signed up well before the end of next year.

The only person who thinks Heeney will finish 2017 out of contract is Damian Barrett. There is absolutely zero chance of Sydney losing Heeney and his contract extension hasn't popped up out of nowhere. Swans have known he'd need a pay rise for this extension for a few years now and it's been forecast and planned. Losing Mitchell, Nankervis and potentially XR & Towers means Sydney also has some extra space should they need to up his offer a bit.

Hunter boy, barracked for Sydney, been at the club via academy since he was 12. Sydney will have him signed up well before the end of next year.
Heeney is Sydney's number one priority to re-sign. I would be staggered if they couldn't get it done.

Heeney is Sydney's number one priority to re-sign. I would be staggered if they couldn't get it done.

Yep. Zero chance he leaves, the Swans have let Mitchell and others go because they know they'll need cap room.

I still maintain Fyfe is the logical target for us. Whilst I'd say he is more likely to stay at Freo he is a lot bigger chance to leave than Heeney.

Is there really any point in listing the free agents when you have players walking out of contracts if the numbers line up?
Forget Fyfe, let's get the Bont.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back