List Mgmt. 2017 Trade and Free Agency Discussion - #Leverpulled and #Harleyrevved

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't say he's the finished product, but he's pretty clearly a 'good AFL player'

With a s**t load of room left for improvement.
The way modern forward lines work hes either competing against 25 other players or he's running back towards goal. Neither is actually genuine forward craft.
It doesn't even have to be a full game, could be a quarter here and there. If it's good enough to swing both frost and TMac around its good enough for Hogan

You are now aware that Gawn, Jetta and TMac are all FA next year.

Why is this a worry? You cant have everyone signed up 3 years in advance. Gawn and Tmac aint going anywhere. Jetta being a WA boy could always potentially wanna go home but after the opportunity we gave him I would doubt that.

On Lever, I'd rather we spend our $ and or draft picks on a gun mid. Our back line is looking great: Jetta, Frost, OMAC, Smith, Hunt, Hibberd with Wagner, Melksham, Salem, Jones, Vince and Lewis all able to play off a HBF also. I don't want us to take a home run swing at a position we are already well covered in. Our kids though do not bat as deep, particularly with the question mark over Gus. Jones, Lewis and Vince are on the way down which leaves Clarry, Viney, Petracca, ANB, Tyson plus part-timers like Harmes and Hannan. And I can't think of any young mids we have got at Casey coming through.
I think Kelly would be much better for our team balance than Lever, not that we are being touted as a prospect anyway. Which really leaves us to go hard in the draft and try to trade up.

On Lever, I'd rather we spend our $ and or draft picks on a gun mid. Our back line is looking great: Jetta, Frost, OMAC, Smith, Hunt, Hibberd with Wagner, Melksham, Salem, Jones, Vince and Lewis all able to play off a HBF also. I don't want us to take a home run swing at a position we are already well covered in. Our kids though do not bat as deep, particularly with the question mark over Gus. Jones, Lewis and Vince are on the way down which leaves Clarry, Viney, Petracca, ANB, Tyson plus part-timers like Harmes and Hannan. And I can't think of any young mids we have got at Casey coming through.
I think Kelly would be much better for our team balance than Lever, not that we are being touted as a prospect anyway. Which really leaves us to go hard in the draft and try to trade up.

You conveniently left out Melksham Hunt Salem from the midfield talks there mate they are midfielders being put into other spots ( less so hunt)

We have exactly zero KPD depth if Frost or Omac goes down. We have Tmac and then Keilty who has never played before. Lever is an intercept marking defender which is possibly the most valuable player in today's footy and all we have for that is Smith.
We put up a midfield good enough to beat Carlton without Jones Viney Tyson Salem and Watts rotating through it and potentially Bray as well, can't be planning for that to be the norm when its a freak event. With a full 22 Harmes ANB Stretch Wagner Kent are all depth. That's bloody good depth. Geelong and Sydney don't have those sort of players in the reserves, the swans went 0-6 with a few injuries yet we are 5 from 6
We don't need depth we need best 22 players if available and someone like Lever won't be available again anytime soon

I think the simple answer to your equation is Z. Jones for a first rounder

I'm dead serious when I say this and I'll cop whatever heat people want. Play Hogan back for a month. I think he could be a better defender than forward.
Completely agree. Until evidence to the contrary, Tmac is a forward/mid/ruck. I don't think Hogs has the attitude to be an effective backman though.

Completely agree. Until evidence to the contrary, Tmac is a forward/mid/ruck. I don't think Hogs has the attitude to be an effective backman though.

Ahh well maybe thats something he could learn down back ;) How to be more selfless and team orieantated

Christian Salem

Christian Petracca

Jayden Hunt

Angus Brayshaw

Max Gawn

Neville Jetta

Tom McDonald

Oscar McDonald

Have any of these guys re-signed yet? And you'd hope that the Hawthorn philosophy is coming into play with some of these guys. I love Salem, Hunt, OMac, Gus and but hopefully at this point in time they don't take more than 300k a season which is quite the ask considering there will be a lot of interest for these guys(especially if Gus can get on the park).
Willing to shell out more for Nev and TMac if it means they can stay Dees for life. And unfortunately Petracca is simply going to command a big contract, can't see him accepting less than 500k a season considering some clubs will be offering 1 million a season already

Christian Salem

Christian Petracca

Jayden Hunt

Angus Brayshaw

Max Gawn

Neville Jetta

Tom McDonald

Oscar McDonald

Have any of these guys re-signed yet? And you'd hope that the Hawthorn philosophy is coming into play with some of these guys. I love Salem, Hunt, OMac, Gus and but hopefully at this point in time they don't take more than 300k a season which is quite the ask considering there will be a lot of interest for these guys(especially if Gus can get on the park).
Willing to shell out more for Nev and TMac if it means they can stay Dees for life. And unfortunately Petracca is simply going to command a big contract, can't see him accepting less than 500k a season considering some clubs will be offering 1 million a season already
Salem to 2019

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just realised Nib is OOC

Could be used as steak knives if his form continues. Your suggestion of our 1st + ANB for Lever was unders, but I could see our 1st + 2018 2nd + ANB if Lever nominates us (That is still unders imo but if he nominates us the deal will get done).

I do think hes the type to want to stay though, his best mate is Stretch and he seems to love playing for us.

Could be used as steak knives if his form continues. Your suggestion of our 1st + ANB for Lever was unders, but I could see our 1st + 2018 2nd + ANB if Lever nominates us (That is still unders imo but if he nominates us the deal will get done).

I do think hes the type to want to stay though, his best mate is Stretch and he seems to love playing for us.
I'd be shattered if we gave up ANB. He is showing more and more each week. Could, and I think will, become an A grade mid. He is a natural inside ball winner, kicks goals and his creativity is underrated.

I'd be shattered if we gave up ANB. He is showing more and more each week. Could, and I think will, become an A grade mid. He is a natural inside ball winner, kicks goals and his creativity is underrated.

A-grade might be pushing it, but he can definitely reach A-Leoncelli-grade, which is enough for me

ANB is a player that annoys me the most, does some great things and always seems to be in the right place at the right time for his goals (a lot of goals from the square). Even on sunday was in a good spot in the forward 50. However the turn overs and I feel he often does it at crucial times, the Richmond goal before half time comes to mind as an example.

We're not giving up two quality picks and a more than decent young midfielder for one player wtf, that's list suicide. There would have to be something else coming back along with Lever.

ANB is better than steak knives too, if you take out the games where he played almost exclusively forward he's probably averaging 22-23 touches and 3-4 clearances which are pretty decent numbers for a fringe midfielder. Some of his kicks are a bit hackish but on the whole he's a better disposer than this board gives him credit for, just has a few shockers per game (although not so much since the bye) but that'll improve as he spends more time in the guts.

You have to give up quality to get quality sure but us forcing ANB to go back to Adelaide to a club that surely values him less than we do is not good list management.

We're not giving up two quality picks and a more than decent young midfielder for one player wtf, that's list suicide. There would have to be something else coming back along with Lever.

ANB is better than steak knives too, if you take out the games where he played almost exclusively forward he's probably averaging 22-23 touches and 3-4 clearances which are pretty decent numbers for a fringe midfielder. Some of his kicks are a bit hackish but on the whole he's a better disposer than this board gives him credit for, just has a few shockers per game (although not so much since the bye) but that'll improve as he spends more time in the guts.

You have to give up quality to get quality sure but us forcing ANB to go back to Adelaide to a club that surely values him less than we do is not good list management.

Lever is one of the best young prospects in the game, and I don't necessarily see our 2018 2nd as a 'quality pick'.

Lever is one of the best young prospects in the game, and I don't necessarily see our 2018 2nd as a 'quality pick'.
Second rounders are valuable at any rate - I forgot to account for how far into the second round we'll (hopefully) have drifted by next year, but regardless you don't trade three players for one. That literally never happens.

Second rounders are valuable at any rate - I forgot to account for how far into the second round we'll (hopefully) have drifted by next year, but regardless you don't trade three players for one. That literally never happens.

Dangerfield went for 3.
I'm sure we can take a pick in the 3rd round back if it pleases you but you don't get one of the best young talents in the game for nothing

Assuming his form since QB is Oscar's real self... how good is this back 6:

FB: Jetta Oscar Frost
HB: Hibberd Lever Salem

With Hunt on the wing and Smith in rotation...not to mention TMac can then play anywhere on the ground. God it hurts to think that Brayshaw may not play again and we were that close to taking Lever at pick 3. But in Gus we trust.

391031_85269a87906a8f202bacf7885ef458dd.png

Dangerfield went for 3.
I'm sure we can take a pick in the 3rd round back if it pleases you but you don't get one of the best young talents in the game for nothing
Unlike ANB Gore was a throwaway and well and truly neutralised by the pick 50 Geelong got back for him. Apples and oranges

What about Stretch, Trengove plus our next two first round picks for Lever? Trengove is almost worth nothing I'd think but the Crows may feel they could find the player that went number two in the draft. It sells off our longevity a bit but it would open up the Premiership window big time.

It's hard when you look at what players you'd offer up in a deal. It's almost always based on form in that you want to trade guys who aren't playing well and keep the guys who are. Stretch is a case in point for me. At the start of the year he was playing really well and was in our best 22. I wouldn't have wanted to trade him. The problem with that approach is you are always going to be selling your own players low. Having said that I still don't want to trade any of our kids playing well ie ANB, Hannan or OMAC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back