List Mgmt. 2017 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - Post Trade-Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Contender for what?

You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

If he did sell his soul and chose to play for Freo and we matched then it's Andrew Brayshaw and their first rounder minimum.
It does not work like that Freo don't give you anything the AFL determine your compensation ,You can match any financial offer from any rival club and that's the only difference between restricted and unrestricted , For what it's worth i think he stays put.

It does not work like that Freo don't give you anything the AFL determine your compensation ,You can match any financial offer from any rival club and that's the only difference between restricted and unrestricted , For what it's worth i think he stays put.
Clearly I was referring to him as restricted. We'll match and force you to the trade table at which point we'll ask for two first rounders.

You'll laugh and say we can get him for free in 12 months.

Clearly I was referring to him as restricted. We'll match and force you to the trade table at which point we'll ask for two first rounders.

You'll laugh and say we can get him for free in 12 months.
Yes restricted check out the rules the only difference between restricted and unrestricted is you can match the offer on a restricted but not on a unrestricted , as i said the AFL determines the compensation in both cases ,Which would mean that it would not be pick 2 even. The AFL have shown that they are very reluctant to give high first rounders more often the back of the first round (because you don't have a first Rnd pick next year they may take that into consideration)and give you something in the top 10 ,And before people say if Wellers worth 2 then Mcgoverns worth this , Remember one was a contacted player and one is a restricted free agent ,So totally different scenarios.The only way Freo give you picks and players is if he is purely an out of contract player with no free agency status , As i said i think he stays anyway . because once you match any offer you hold the whip hand , That's why he stays because the offer would have to get silly before they wouldn't match.

Last edited:
Yes restricted check out the rules the only difference between restricted and unrestricted is you can match the offer on a restricted but not on a unrestricted , as i said the AFL determines the compensation in both cases ,Which would mean that it would not be pick 2 even. The AFL have shown that they are very reluctant to give high first rounders more often the back of the first round (because you don't have a first Rnd pick next year they may take that into consideration)and give you something in the top 10 ,And before people say if Wellers worth 2 then Mcgoverns worth this , Remember one was a contacted player and one is a restricted free agent ,So totally different scenarios.The only way Freo give you picks and players is if he is purely an out of contract player with no free agency status , As i said i think he stays anyway . because once you match any offer you hold the whip hand , That's why he stays because the offer would have to get silly before they wouldn't match.
Put a little more simply

We arent gc or gws

The afl will give us as little as they think they can get away with unless it will facilitate something that benefits gc or gws in which case we will get whatever pick it requires.

Yes restricted check out the rules the only difference between restricted and unrestricted is you can match the offer on a restricted but not on a unrestricted , as i said the AFL determines the compensation in both cases ,Which would mean that it would not be pick 2 even. The AFL have shown that they are very reluctant to give high first rounders more often the back of the first round (because you don't have a first Rnd pick next year they may take that into consideration)and give you something in the top 10 ,And before people say if Wellers worth 2 then Mcgoverns worth this , Remember one was a contacted player and one is a restricted free agent ,So totally different scenarios.The only way Freo give you picks and players is if he is purely an out of contract player with no free agency status , As i said i think he stays anyway
I am not talking about unrestricted FA, restricted only as that's the relevant issue with Gov right now.

The AFL only determines restricted FA compo if the club doesn't match. The eagles will match any offer for Gov.

If the player still wants to leave then it is either via trade or draft. Yes he will be out of contract but still holds currency.

I am not talking about unrestricted FA, restricted only as that's the relevant issue with Gov right now.

The AFL only determines restricted FA compo if the club doesn't match. The eagles will match any offer for Gov.

If the player still wants to leave then it is either via trade or draft. Yes he will be out of contract but still holds currency.
Yes he holds a lot of currency , I think if you match he stays though , i don't think he is in a hurry to leave , tradition shows that that if a player really wants out they don't match , Also if an offer came from Freo it would be huge , He is just the type they need , It might even get silly

Last edited:
Yes he holds a lot of currency , I think if you match he stays though , i don't think he is in a hurry to leave , tradition shows that that if a player really wants out they don't match , Also if an offer came from Freo it would be huge , He is just the type they need , It might even get silly
I disagree that he's a type we need. Or more to the point - we have enough defenders that paying a shitload for another defender - the gains don't outweigh the costs there (or the future tpp risks). Only way I'd do that is if AP doesn't come back in good nick. We've got his skillset covered across our defending group. And no disrespect to the gov he's a great player.

Plus his dad played there, plus he was a Freo fan

No

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My reading of these rules indicates that if an offer is matched he stays with his original club or goes in the draft , Under the title of compensation note the words allocated by the AFL.
RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Players who are in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for restricted free agency the first time they are out of contract, if they have served at least eight years with the club.

For example, a player who is contracted after his seventh year for one, two, three, four or five years will be eligible for restricted free agency when next out of contract having completed either eight, nine, 10, 11 or 12 seasons respectively.

A top 25 per cent player is eligible for unrestricted free agency when next out of contract, provided a player can never be an unrestricted free agent until completing at least 10 years’ service at one club.

For example, a player who signs a one-year contract after his eighth season is not eligible for unrestricted free agency until he has completed at least 10 years’ service.

Restricted free agents have the right to move to a club of their choice, subject to the current club’s right of first refusal over their services. That is, if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft. The tabled offer includes only football payments and Additional Service Agreements (ASA) amounts.

COMPENSATION

A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.

Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.

My reading of these rules indicates that if an offer is matched he stays with his original club or goes in the draft , Under the title of compensation note the words allocated by the AFL.
RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Players who are in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for restricted free agency the first time they are out of contract, if they have served at least eight years with the club.

For example, a player who is contracted after his seventh year for one, two, three, four or five years will be eligible for restricted free agency when next out of contract having completed either eight, nine, 10, 11 or 12 seasons respectively.

A top 25 per cent player is eligible for unrestricted free agency when next out of contract, provided a player can never be an unrestricted free agent until completing at least 10 years’ service at one club.

For example, a player who signs a one-year contract after his eighth season is not eligible for unrestricted free agency until he has completed at least 10 years’ service.

Restricted free agents have the right to move to a club of their choice, subject to the current club’s right of first refusal over their services. That is, if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft. The tabled offer includes only football payments and Additional Service Agreements (ASA) amounts.

COMPENSATION

A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.

Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.
But we would likely match any offer you made to him meaning that if you did want him you'd have to offer up a trade, making any talk of AFL compensation pointless

But we would likely match any offer you made to him meaning that if you did want him you'd have to offer up a trade, making any talk of AFL compensation pointless
You most likely would i understand that depending on how generous the offer was , Which would just mean we have pushed the price West coast pay up , My point has been all along that he stays , Unless the offer is stupid , If the offer is stupid then by matching you risk the suitor saying O.k i'm out as far as giving up players and or draft picks and then you are stuck with it ,Or he could just go the the draft With a do not touch if you are not.... sign on his forehead .As i have said all along i believe he will recommit to West Coast .

You most likely would i understand that depending on how generous the offer was , Which would just mean we have pushed the price West coast pay up , My point has been all along that he stays , Unless the offer is stupid , If the offer is stupid then by matching you risk the suitor saying O.k i'm out as far as giving up players and or draft picks and then you are stuck with it ,Or he could just go the the draft With a do not touch if you are not.... sign on his forehead .As i have said all along i believe he will recommit to West Coast .
Freo had the chance to sign McGovern for basically nothing years ago when Hasleby told the club to do so when he was fat and struggling on our rookie list.

Li

Just like Dangerfield did......oh wait a minute!!!

You really think a player like McGovern wouldnt get picked by a Gold Coast or Brisbane? They would bank on turning him or trade him for overs.

So its pony up with a decent trade or no banana IF he elected to go.

Brayshaw plus your 2nd as a min.;)

Moving to Hobart from Perth tonight.

Bring on round 19! Will anyone else be there? Ha ha.

When they show the Eagles Supporter base, it'll be me!

Moving to Hobart from Perth tonight.

Bring on round 19! Will anyone else be there? Ha ha.

When they show the Eagles Supporter base, it'll be me!
Might be resting all our best players for the finals by then.:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back