2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but both Waterman and Allen haven't done anything yet. I know thats harsh, but you would expect that if Allen hasn't started playing WAFL League regularly by the end of the year he may be a bust. But then again we've held onto McInness even though he definitely isn't going to make it.
Watson could be anything, I would love to see him debut in the second half of the year.
I can remember 20 odd years back when we had this kid ( a big unit ) can't remember his name but he played woefully even in reserves WAFL. For some reason he got picked to play in the Eagles squad and debuted kicking a goal or 2. My point is sometimes players can't cut it at lower levels of footy and are made to look unworthy of a spot, give all our listed players a shot this year and find someone ffs.

I can remember 20 odd years back when we had this kid ( a big unit ) can't remember his name but he played woefully even in reserves WAFL. For some reason he got picked to play in the Eagles squad and debuted kicking a goal or 2. My point is sometimes players can't cut it at lower levels of footy and are made to look unworthy of a spot, give all our listed players a shot this year and find someone ffs.
Yeah id be happy for everyone to at least get a game so they can see what theyve got. Otherwise players seem to spend three years on the list which is at least 1-2 years too long and then it stagnates. We need to be prepared to let guys go, but we have to give them a chance to succeed as well.

David Haynes ??

We've gotten a little bit better with it in recent years with Snadden, Tunbridge, Maginness and Powell but guys like Lucas and Petrie have turned out to be pointless conquests. I wouldn't mind giving someone like Dylan Main a lifeline again but tend to agree that we have been focusing too much on inadequate known quantities with the view to adding depth. The reason why is clear, we have been contenders the past couple of years but now it should become clear we need a new injection of young talent.

We've gotten a little bit better with it in recent years with Snadden, Tunbridge, Maginness and Powell but guys like Lucas and Petrie have turned out to be pointless conquests. I wouldn't mind giving someone like Dylan Main a lifeline again but tend to agree that we have been focusing too much on inadequate known quantities with the view to adding depth. The reason why is clear, we have been contenders the past couple of years but now it should become clear we need a new injection of young talent.
Harsh, played well in his one game and was a selection made with Naitanui's injury in mind specifically.

Harsh, played well in his one game and was a selection made with Naitanui's injury in mind specifically.

It's not a slight on Petrie but even if fit right now, the benefit he would provide to us going forward is negligible. Would rather have taken the punt on a speculative prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a slight on Petrie but even if fit right now, the benefit he would provide to us going forward is negligible. Would rather have taken the punt on a speculative prospect.
Who would you have taken as that prospect?

Who would you have taken as that prospect?

Hmm. Probably would have been happy with Robbie Fox (with the benefit of hindsight) or James Cousins. I can't recall who I had my eye on for the RD last year with any confidence but it's not really the point. Petrie was recruited as a stop gap and as it turns out he's one we don't really need as we are not contending.

Recruiting Petrie though does have more merit than recruiting Kane Lucas which was just stupid.

Liam Ryan still carving it up

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

There was no reason not to rookie this guy than take Tom ******* Gorter

Every Tom Dick and Harry knows the x Factor these guys have.

We took Fat ass Rioli in the ND and look how he's grown in the AFL system

The exact reason the rookie list exists for guys like Liam Ryan. Project players with massive upside.

But that's none of my business

11590722.jpg

Petrie was looking good

Bad call caro

Last edited:
Monocle who have you got your eye on for this years draft?

Who in the WAFL would be worth looking at? I think Banfield and Guelfi from Claremont and Ryan from Subi.

Bit early to say however Banfield is one I am definitely keeping a close eye on.
For what its worth I think we messed up badly by not taking him as a Rookie last draft.
I cant help but think that the Gorter selection was to please East Perth. I dont believe that anyone else would have taken him and WC could have tracked his development at EP for another year.

I will need to watch more Colts and the Under 18's as I generally form my views after a body of work about mid June early July.
That said I am not expecting a big draft cohort from WA this year as we are pretty thin on talent.

That will be compensated by a deep draft contribution from both Vic Metro and Country as there is plenty of talent in this years TAC comp.
I plan watch several of the Under 18's games live again this year and some of the guys I coached with whilst I was in Victoria are still active on and at TAC Clubs , their input is also worth picking over.

Bit early to say however Banfield is one I am definitely keeping a close eye on.
For what its worth I think we messed up badly by not taking him as a Rookie last draft.
I cant help but think that the Gorter selection was to please East Perth. I dont believe that anyone else would have taken him and WC could have tracked his development at EP for another year.

I will need to watch more Colts and the Under 18's as I generally form my views after a body of work about mid June early July.
That said I am not expecting a big draft cohort from WA this year as we are pretty thin on talent.

That will be compensated by a deep draft contribution from both Vic Metro and Country as there is plenty of talent in this years TAC comp.
I plan watch several of the Under 18's games live again this year and some of the guys I coached with whilst I was in Victoria are still active on and at TAC Clubs , their input is also worth picking over.
Agree about Gorter. The alignment is hurting us, the WAFL should've let us play standalone teams.

I've been following Knightmare, Bishop and the usual suspects on the Phantoms board. I think KPPs are crucial for us this year, of which there are some good ones available, but they will likely be taken early which means we will need to trade to get into that position. But i think we could nail the draft if we use the RD properly - for me that looks like picking up local talent / players who need development but have potential.

Yep agreed banfield along with Ryan would have been a lot better on the rookie list that gorter ,probably Mcinnes should have been paid out too if Petrie was brought in to cover for rucks/ kpfs

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back