2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good has Mitch Duncan been this season! Another WA boy

Geelong and salary cap would be getting interesting especially if Ablett returned next year.

Menegola is who I think would be gettable and not cost much with picks, 2nd at best. A big inside mid to take over from Priddis and Mitchell.

Still think Rockliff as a free agent is the way to go. His form has returned this year and we are paying EMac $600k in the WAFL.

With the cap going up and Emac looking elsewhere, Butler retires, possibly Mitchell, Lamb and Karpany look elsewhere and even Schofield may look for more opportunity with Rotham and Gorter as depth coming through even though he is contracted.

Would you have said the same about Gaz a few years ago at the GCS ?

Now I`m not saying Rocky equals Gazza but the notion is very simplistic and at school boy footy level it may have some merit but not in the big bad AFL ..

In the big bad AFL, clubs can't afford to regularly loose talented high draft picks to rival teams and sack coaches every 3 or so years.
Ablett and Rockliff are poles apart. If you wanted to compare, Priddiss (2008 -2010) would have been a better choice. At 33, Ablett can still win a game off his own boot - Rockliff has zero hurt factor, gets high possessions while his team loses by more than 50 points, (allegedely) drives team talented teammates away and regularly gets coaches sacked.

Last edited:
Geelong and salary cap would be getting interesting especially if Ablett returned next year.

Menegola is who I think would be gettable and not cost much with picks, 2nd at best. A big inside mid to take over from Priddis and Mitchell.

Still think Rockliff as a free agent is the way to go. His form has returned this year and we are paying EMac $600k in the WAFL.

With the cap going up and Emac looking elsewhere, Butler retires, possibly Mitchell, Lamb and Karpany look elsewhere and even Schofield may look for more opportunity with Rotham and Gorter as depth coming through even though he is contracted.
I'd be willing to keep Butler as depth and on low pay (not that he'd be on huge amounts anyway). He still has the ability to play at the level and whilst I'd like him to not be in the team due to his bombing long down the line and slowing of play, he can provide solid depth.

Reading in the paper today, we are 3rd worst at keeping the ball in our 50. That to me means Cripps, Hill, LeCras and Darling aren't working hard enough.

Reading in the paper today, we are 3rd worst at keeping the ball in our 50. That to me means Cripps, Hill, LeCras and Darling aren't working hard enough.
You can see it so clearly on gameday.

I do hope this has been spoken about vigorously in team meetings. Must trap that ball in there.

Blake Acres is also having a ripper season

You can see it so clearly on gameday.

I do hope this has been spoken about vigorously in team meetings. Must trap that ball in there.

It's so true and it's not just keeping the ball in there. Putting pressure on opposition defenders can result in s**t kicks. Amazingly often a s**t kick out of defence = our forwards kicking easy goals, 10 meters out.

We should certainly chase more and we should intend to tackle when we catch someone. Hill, for example, chases hard and then goes a late shove before his opponent kicks. He'd be way better served going the tackle. If nothing else that would start rushing the opposition into quick kicks. As things stands everyone knows we aren't going to tackle and they plan to dance around us as we jockey them.

Rockliff - gets a lot of the ball and looks great for AFL dream team but has zero hurt factor and shoddy disposal. There's a reason he's never mentioned as an AA and from the sounds of it he wants top dollar.
Pass

Jonathan Marsh has woeful kicking. Good athletic traits which will see him dominate at WAFL level but we can do better.
Pass

Jonathan Marsh has woeful kicking. Good athletic traits which will see him dominate at WAFL level but we can do better.
Pass
I thought Marsh played some reasonable footy down back for the Pies.

I think he'd be handy depth on an AFL list as a Staker-type utility.

Sounds like a bit of a questionable personality, though.

I thought Marsh played some reasonable footy down back for the Pies.

I think he'd be handy depth on an AFL list as a Staker-type utility.

Sounds like a bit of a questionable personality, though.

Played well as a key back when he used his athleticism to spoil opponents and break up play, but was a liability as soon as he got ball in hand.

Someone made a comparison to Yeo earlier which wasn't a bad one, Yeo's skills however are daylight ahead.

Don't want Rockliff - if he is any good Brisbane would be lot higher up the ladder.

I wasn't comparing players and I don't want Rockliff but was just responding to this notion which is ridiculous ..

Using the Ablett logic has just confused you so apologies for that ..

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd be willing to keep Butler as depth and on low pay (not that he'd be on huge amounts anyway). He still has the ability to play at the level and whilst I'd like him to not be in the team due to his bombing long down the line and slowing of play, he can provide solid depth.

What is the stat based on though? We have a low inside 50 count to a lot of teams and score from a very high % of them so maybe there arent a lot that go in then out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't comparing players and I don't want Rockliff but was just responding to this notion which is ridiculous ..

Using the Ablett logic has just confused you so apologies for that ..

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is not a ridiculous notion - another way of saying Rockliff has zero hurt factor. A good player can and will change the fortunes of his team - if you don't think this is possible then go and have a look at our last 3 games of 2010. Shuey played in those 3 games after a long injury lay off and while we still lost there was a marked improvement in our performance in comparison to the rest of that season. Obviously, a good player (no matter how good he is) cannot take a s*** team to finals all on his own. However, if Rockliff is any good as his statistics suggest then Brisbane won't be as s*** as they have been for the past 5-6 years.

By the way, you did not confuse me with the Ablett reference. Ablett has shown time and again that he can win game for GCs off his own boot - in round 13 last year against a WCE that was playing woefully Rockliff had 38 disposals but his side end up losing the game by 49 points. There was no Ablett logic.

My first one of these this season was after the Hawks debacle. Now after another debacle, here's my second take:

Delist:

Karpany - is playing well at WAFL but at the crossroads. Needs to play 2-3 AFL games minimum and show something to be kept on the list in 2018.
Gorter - a HBF who probably shouldn't have been picked in the first place.
Tunbridge - barring a miracle, I see him as done and playing WAFL next year.
Jetta - does this guy want to be an Eagle? Does he want to play AFL? I would cut our losses, pay him out of his last year on his contract. Lazy and wont come through when the chips are down.

Undecided:
Lamb - I think he could be a find this year. I know we've had him on the list for 3 years, but he has been building with the Royals and could do well for us as a HFF/Util. Retain.
Allen - 6 goals from 2 WAFL games this year. Retain.
McInness - has played two games this season and wasn't completely outclassed. For mine he plays ahead of Giles as he offers more around the ground. Retain.
Giles - with Lycett and NN returning, is he surplus to our needs? Vardy has outclassed him.

Possible Trade Bait?:
Emac is a Free Agent and could get us a packet of chips as compo. Id offer him one more year as safety.
Schofield could be attractive to a team like Geelong with Mackie, Taylor and Lonergan all the wrong side of 30. Plus he's a Geelong boy. I would be after pick 40.
Obviously moving these guys on at the end of the season would see us drafting a KPD, likely with our second round pick.

Retire:

Butler - 32 next year but is very good at half back and is experiencing his longest fit period in his career.
Priddis - elite contested but is slowing down and retaining him risks stunting the development of our younger mids. Arguably cannot play any other position which hinders our flexibility. Will also be 33 next year, although durability not a concern.
Mitchell - gun, but will be 35. Say hello to our new midfield coach.
Petrie - handy, but 36 next year. Coaching our reserves in 2018 I reckon.

Promote:
Watson - has shown potential to be a HBF with x-factor for us, could debut later this year.
Snadden - seems to be a victim of Royals/WCE politics by not getting a regular game at WAFL senior level but is tearing up Ressies. Retain.

Confirmed departures:
Brophy.

This is a big turnover, I'll reserve my contenders/rebuilders verdict for the end of the season, but I think I'm leaning rebuild barring a season for the ages. Or perhaps even a sudden ability to win in Victoria.

Last edited:

A list clogger.

Kennedy isn't going to be part of our next premiership. He's the only player in our list with experience that is worth anything.. I would hate to do it as he has been a great servant but if we can get a first rounder we should.

Kennedy isn't going to be part of our next premiership. He's the only player in our list with experience that is worth anything.. I would hate to do it as he has been a great servant but if we can get a first rounder we should.

Why only Kennedy? Don't forget NN. Based on todays game no one from this team is going to be part of our next premiership - we should trade them all and get as many first rounders as we can. Then we can trade all these first round picks to bottom teams (especially Brisbane) in exchange for ready made players.

Both NN and JK deserve a flag. Bulldogs could do with both of them. They shouldn't have to play our their careers with no hope of success because their team mates are rubbish.

Both NN and JK deserve a flag. Bulldogs could do with both of them. They shouldn't have to play our their careers with no hope of success because their team mates are rubbish.

Very true. Others don't deserve a flag at all. We can send them all to Fremantle or may be even Melbourne.

35 - Tom Mitchell: Probable retirement at end of 2017/18 take up coaching role.
35 - Drew Petrie*: Delist at seasons end. Too old to kept as fourth+ ruck.
32 - Matthew Priddis - Retain as old head.
31 - Mark LeCras: Should retire at seasons end. Out of contract.
31 - Sam Butler: Should retire at seasons end. Out of contract.
30 - Josh Kennedy: Irreplaceable. Retain unless someone offers up something substantial.
30 - Shannon Hurn: Retain until retirement
29 - Johnathan Giles: Delist.
29 - Eric Mackenzie: Depth/ Trade Bait
29 - Sharrod Wellingham: Retain. He's not old enough to delist and is still good enough to play.
28 - Will Schofield: Retain. Good depth.
28 - Chris Masten: Retain. Depth.
28 - Lewis Jetta: Year left on contract. Retain short term.
28 - Josh Hill: Out of contract.
27 - Jack Redden: Horrible and i don't know what do do with him.
27 - Nick Naitanui:
27 - Luke Shuey:
26 - Brad Sheppard: Retain essential.
26 - Mark Hutchings: Middling footballer in the middle of his career. The next McGinnity.
26 - Nathan Vardy: Talented, injury prone and underveloped. Retain for depth.
25 - Andrew Gaff: Essential or trade bait.
25 - Jack Darling: Essential or trade bait.
25 - Jeremy McGovern
25 - Scott Lycett
25 - Elliot Yeo
24 - Jamie Cripps
24 - Fraser McInnes* - 24
24 - Simon Tunbridge* Would need to pull a cat out a hat to be retained.
22 - Tom Barrass:
22 - Francis Watson* Working towards elevation?
22 - Willie Rioli
22 - Dom Sheed: Must be given more responsibility.
22 - Malcomn Karpany: Improving production but still at the cross roads.
21 - Jackson Nelson: Proven performer.
21 - Liam Duggan: Has production issues and needs to bulk up to play serious midfield minutes. Has a few years.
21 - Tom Lamb: Should play half a dozen games in the rest of 2017.
21 - Tom Gorter*: Lemon
20 - Matthew Allen: Contracted for a few years. Has some tools and needs to work on his athleticism.
20 - Tom Cole: Likely type.
20 - Kurt Mutimer: Likely type
20: Jordan Snadden*:
20: Luke Partington:
20: Daniel Venables - 19
20: Josh Rotham - 19
20: Jake Waterman - 19
20: Tarir Bayok*

Red should go at the end of the year.
Underlined should be seriously considered in the next couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back