2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Masten has turned out to be the best of the worst case scenarios for a top 3 pick. As a fan i would rather him becoming a solid role player than being garbage and delisted within few years. That draft was pure trash and im happy that we didn't take morton or grant.

Masten was pick 3 in a poor draft. In any other year he would never have been taken that high and in some years he wouldn't even be top 10

So no he hasn't lived up to what you'd expect from a top 3 pick but he was only there by default due to the small talent pool

I'll add that of the players taken in the top 10 arguably only kreuzer and Cotchin who were taken 1 and 2 and Dangerfield who was considered a reach at 10 have had better careers than masten

With his injuries and performance I wouldn't take Kreuzers career over Masten, but thats just me.

At the time it was pretty well known that our preference was Cotchin and there was speculation that Cale Morten was to be picked by Richmond to join his brother Mitch who had a reasonable season by his standards. Pity it didn't happen.
*, imagine if Cotchin was out captain. would be terrible.

Masten has turned out to be the best of the worst case scenarios for a top 3 pick. As a fan i would rather him becoming a solid role player than being garbage and delisted within few years. That draft was pure trash and im happy that we didn't take morton or grant.
I don't know, now he's stuck in our team and a reason we can't take the next step. At least our hand would have been forced if we picked up those two. We would have cut the deadwood earlier. It's not as though Masten has ever really been the reason we've won a game let alone influenced our ladder position positively.

So it's an issue with the quality of the the 2007 draft, not on Masten nor the clubs decision to pick him.
A pick number 3 should have the physical attributes to be an A grade player. I don't believe that he has lived up to those attributes.

I'm mostly glad that your son got drafted to the Eagles, so you don't have to miss any of his mediocre football.

A pick number 3 should have the physical attributes to be an A grade player. I don't believe that he has lived up to those attributes.

I'm mostly glad that your son got drafted to the Eagles, so you don't have to miss any of his mediocre football.
Okay but that brings us back to square one. Who did have those attributes that was in the frame for pick 3?

Dangerfield was not.

I'm no Masten fan either JT, but the arguement boils down to this:

-Has Masten been a worthy number 3? No, the quality doesn't match the draft pick

-Is Masten still one of the best picks from what was a horrible, horrible draft? Absolutely, the 2007 draft was god awful

Hindsight shows that Masten isn't a world beater, but he's still a better scenario than some of the others that came after.

Dangerfield was never in the mix for our pick either, so being captain hindsight and saying we should have picked him is a moot point.

Okay but that brings us back to square one. Who did have those attributes that was in the frame for pick 3?

Dangerfield was not.

Only one who would have fit that bill is Myers, and he's been worse than Masten.

The first round from that year:
Matt Kreuzer
Trent Cotchin
Chris Masten
Cale Morton
Jarrad Grant
David Myers
Rhys Palmer
Lachlan Henderson
Ben McEvoy
Patrick Dangerfield
Patrick Veszpremi
Cyril Rioli
Brad Ebert
Jack Grimes
Robbie Tarrant
Matthew Lobbe
Harry Taylor
Alex Rance

Add to it we were always going to grab a mid on the back of Cousins, Judd and the even harder to replace Rowan Jones leaving so the choices were-
Morton, Palmer, Dangerfield, Veszpremi, Ebert (who we took anyway) and Grimes.

Dangerfield was seen as a bit of stretch taking him that early so it was never a viable option either.
Dangerfield would still have wanted to go home to Geelong so it would have been a wasted pick. Masten has his flaws (the main one being his lack of physical development but think that's out of his control possibly due to genetics?). He's very accurate with his delivery into the forward line most times - not a bad trait to have.

I'm no Masten fan either JT, but the arguement boils down to this:

-Has Masten been a worthy number 3? No, the quality doesn't match the draft pick

-Is Masten still one of the best picks from what was a horrible, horrible draft? Absolutely, the 2007 draft was god awful

Hindsight shows that Masten isn't a world beater, but he's still a better scenario than some of the others that came after.

Dangerfield was never in the mix for our pick either, so being captain hindsight and saying we should have picked him is a moot point.
I would've gone Cale Morton if I was in charge of the eagles back then.lucky I wasn't..

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cale Morton could have been okay if he wasn't Demonised. By the time we got him, the damage had been done.
I'm not saying he would've been much chop but he was an impressive junior I believe.
From memory he even started out well at the dees

I don't think there's too much of a gap between him and Masten in terms of production though
In terms of production it's hard to argue that Masten isn't ahead. It's a shame Dave hasn't had consistency with fitness, but that was always a concern with him in juniors too.

I don't know, now he's stuck in our team and a reason we can't take the next step. At least our hand would have been forced if we picked up those two. We would have cut the deadwood earlier. It's not as though Masten has ever really been the reason we've won a game let alone influenced our ladder position positively.
you missed the part where i said that he is a role player. A role player doesn't win you games but structurally provides support to the side and that what he did in 2012 and 2015. In 2015 we was more than not the link out of defence for us. The issue has been our drafting and development of mids post judd/cousins era. There hasn't been too many young guys worthy enough to push him out of the team. This year looks like the first season in ages where he seems to have some genuine competition from the kids.

you missed the part where i said that he is a role player. A role player doesn't win you games but structurally provides support to the side and that what he did in 2012 and 2015. In 2015 we was more than not the link out of defence for us. The issue has been our drafting and development of mids post judd/cousins era. There hasn't been too many young guys worthy enough to push him out of the team. This year looks like the first season in ages where he seems to have some genuine competition from the kids.
I didn't miss it. I think there are better role players in the league that do their role and the team thing. I'm sure we would have been able to find a replacement role player for cheaper money that also does the team things. You can't be cornered in to over paying role players of which we have with Marsdo.

Anyone know who the top half a dozen or so west Aussie prospects are next yr?

I'll always remember Masten as the core part of the Judd trade. Hasn't lived up to pick 3 at all. Compare to pick 2, one year later and we have Nic Nat to show for it...

Thank Christ Josh Kennedy lived up to his #4 selection.
Compared to the picks that followed we did alright
4 Cale Morton Claremont WAFL Melbourne
5 Jarrad Grant Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup Western Bulldogs
6 David Myers Perth WAFL Essendon
7 Rhys Palmer East Fremantle WAFL Fremantle
8 Lachlan Henderson Geelong Falcons TAC Cup Brisbane Lions
9 Ben McEvoy

Edit: Should have read the rest of the thread before posting - this has already been raised

Dangerfield would still have wanted to go home to Geelong so it would have been a wasted pick. Masten has his flaws (the main one being his lack of physical development but think that's out of his control possibly due to genetics?). He's very accurate with his delivery into the forward line most times - not a bad trait to have.

Don't agree with this. Even if he had gone back we still would of gotten some high draft picks. Losing Judd still got us Kennedy.

Though it does feel like Masten was the safe choice in hindsight.

Masten is really copping it now we offloaded some duds.

Make sense. He gotten by for years being being just a bit better then the worst players in the team. Our midfield is finally looking to have a enough depth that he is being exposed.

Masten hasn't gotten worse it's just everyone around him as gotten better. He makes a fine depth player but he is no longer best 22.

That is not a bad thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back