2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenkins is down hill plus. Only ever gets goals once Crows are dominating and gets an awful lot of Joe the goose's for a guy his size. Do not rate.
Cant judge Tex on GF day. Their midfield got exposed like ours on the MCG. Until they address that they will like us be hoping to not get an MCG tenant on GF day if we/they make it.

So if someone needs to sell their car worth 40 000 and you offer them 30 000 you are a prick then it goes to auction and you buy it for 20 000 . Welcome to the world little fella. We can get Ah Chee for a 4th or via another way. We also need players in the draft. We have 4 retirements. We have to be ruthless. Sorry Port

I... guess... if the car somehow nominates you and says he wants to be sold to you...it could be comparable. Also if the car is a living being and has to arrange a place to live and has to pack up where he lives now and ship his stuff off somewhere.

I don't know maybe I'm not making myself clear...* Port... its not about them. Its about us potentially telling someone they are a required player... best 22...more opportunities and all that all they have to do is nominate us etc. And then we start arguing over a potential 3rd round or 4th round player.
Put yourself in his shoes. Meeting went well, they say they want you and you are obviously likely to get a go as that is what you were saying is the prerequisite for where you go and then they start arguing about whether you are a worth a 3rd rounder unlikely to get a game or a 4th rounder unlikely to get a game.
Could completely understand if you weren't promised more opportunities but unfortunately once you have promised that to a s**t trading club like Port his value ends up somewhere between his actual value to Port and best 22 player at a club.

And before someone just says "but we can getz him in tha draft if thats the case so be it!!!11!!"
I understand that its just not my point.

Last edited:

I agree we do need some better players to get the contested ball.
But we do have Nic Nat coming back who's one of the best at the tough stuff and will massively assist in getting first use with his tap work.

Naita is a huge in for us and I have stated that several times in different threads.

Shuey, Sheed and Redden are still going to need more support around the stoppages IMO and Duggan, Nelson, Cole whoever are not physically ready to play big minutes there as ball winners yet. We have a massive hole in our midfield list at the 23/24/25 age where the guys have enough preseasons under their belt to mix it with the big boys.

Freeing Shuey and Sheed up to be able to play minutes away from the coal face is only a good thing for us as they are very damaging kicks. If we fall to pieces and can't lay our hands on the footy when those guys need a spell we are in all sorts of trouble.

Wellers agent on Trade Radio saying he believes Wellers only a 50/50 to be given a contract for 2018
It's a frustrating one. The guy has the talent and I still see value in him as depth (at worst) on our list as opposed to delisting him and then needing another player deep in the draft. That said, he has so under-performed of late and is part of the problem with our team keeping under-performing players for too long and not going deep enough in drafts. I am torn but think its time to move on and refresh the team, even if that means some pain for a while.

Despite the forwardline having a down year and our best forward missing a quarter of the season, we still had one of the most efficient forwardlines in the comp this year. Lecras and Hill obviously dropped off a cliff, which meant Cripps had to sacrifice his normal game to pick up their slack, and as a result his game suffered too. With the addition of Rioli and Venables next year it should give a new dimension to the forwardline, and will allow Cripps to play his natural role again which led him to 7th and 8th in the B&F respectively in 2015 and 2016. I think we will have a top 4 tier forwardline again next year behind only Adelaide, GWS and maybe Essendon.

Backline should be top 4 quality again, already got 2 AA's down there with Duggan and Barrass only getting better.

How the midfield will function is the 64 million dollar question, obviously Nic nat and Lycett back is a huge boost in the clearances and contested possessions department, just depends how the other mids go in filling Priddis and Mitchell's shoes, which I believe they'll easily be able to do. Both Priddis and Mitchell at their peak were great players but both getting significant minutes in the same midfield past their prime, Priddis in particular, and without a quality ruck was always going to be a problem, especially with the way the game is played in 2017. I have a feeling Shuey will have his best season yet with the return of Naitanui and quicker mids around him allowing him off the leash more, Redden and Sheed will flourish with more midfield minutes as we saw them do later in the season, Ah Chee I believe will be a more than handy addition. Duggan and Yeo willl only get better with more time in the middle and if we can add Kelly in the draft we will have another mid with break away speed and goal kicking ability.

Sincerely think we will challenge for top 4 next year, as it was we beat 4 of the other 7 top 8 teams. Lost a few games we shouldn't have due to lack of leg speed being exposed towards the end of games which shouldn't be nearly as much of a problem next year. Worst case scenario I still think we will finish 7th or 8th given the quality of the forward and backline, assuming the midfield doesn't fire. Really not sure how some have us tipped for bottom 6.

With the addition of Rioli and Venables next year it should give a new dimension to the forwardline

Out of curiousity, I thought we drafted Venables to play midfield.
Why is he playing HF in the WAFL and potentially at AFL level?
Give the kid a chance to potentially address our midfield issue and if it doesn't work out he can move up forward.
Why would a forward position be the first option?

Whilst I get the versatility line of reasoning that dictates you recruit players that can play in different positions, one of the reasons why Gaff, Darling and Naitanui flourished is we gave them the opportunity to play in their chosen position from early in their careers.

We have to do that with Venables and whoever we recruit. If their body and skill level is up to it, we need to give them the game time in their best position to help them adapt to the speed of the game, but more importantly, to give them the confidence that they can play at AFL level. Make the room in the Best 22 for these young guys to come through and they might reward us.

Last edited:
Jesus if Wilson gets recruited by the Dockers for pick 40, i'll **** a pineapple.

That would be worth buying a ticket for to watch just for the laughs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t get why some of these footy pundits like Barrett expect us to slide down the ladder next year.
This year: NN missed the whole season, nearly half the team underperformed, had the oldest list in the league, played makeshift ruck men (who were great nonetheless), lost many games after being in front and yet we made the semi finals and could have made the top 4 if managed to get our s*** together at any stage during the home and away season.
Next year, we are getting NN back; Venables, Rioli, Watson and others who did not play this year will likely play important roles next year and moreover the team is going to be significantly younger next year compared to this year so I fully expect us to make the top 4 next year. The only unknown is how we are going to play at the new stadium - if we were still playing at Domain I am confident of winning 10-12 home games and winning at least 4-5 away games to make the top 4.

Re: Venables:

Coming off a serious foot problem we probably need to manage his running load very closely these first couple of years. Luckily he looks to have sufficient class to be a HFF option while he builds his fitness base. It still remains to be seen however. He may suit up plenty for EP.

StateOE

Have you watched footy? We got slaughtered at stoppages the entire year. What is so hard to understand about needing to prioritise players who can win their own footy and apply pressure over players that need to be fed the ball and don't attack the ball carrier when we don't have possession? All the while keeping in mind that they actually need to be attainable and not "let's get Dusty/Danger herp derp derp" suggestions.

2015 - first hands 16 wins led to a grand final appearance.
2017 - no first hands. 12 wins and scraped into finals.

A lot of our midfield weakness can be covered up by having possession of the ball.

By all means go and add imaginary A-graders and kids from the back half of the first round that will dominate in every area of the game in 2018 to improve the playing list.
Dont kid yourself

Nicnat is the difference not plodding mids

Sam mitchells a superstar - priddis is a brownlow winner. We still did sfa.

Teams are forced to structure defensively against us with nn - or he’ll just grab it and run.

If hes beaten - we are easier to beat.

What you are suggesting is the prototype midfield from years ago - footy has changed - yes we arent going to get a danger/ fyfe / dusty from trading - yes we can from the draft.

Give the kid a chance to potentially address our midfield issue and if it doesn't work out he can move up forward.
Back in 1995 we drafted a bloke who debuted in the forward line at AFL level, after playing similar in the WAFL at league level. He averaged 1.7 and 1.3 goals per game playing predominantly as a half-forward in his first 2 seasons, averaging around 14 possessions.

He was a pretty good midfielder at the end of it all.

Re: Venables:

Coming off a serious foot problem we probably need to manage his running load very closely these first couple of years. Luckily he looks to have sufficient class to be a HFF option while he builds his fitness base. It still remains to be seen however. He may suit up plenty for EP.

StateOE

Thanks RookiePick, I'm aware of the foot issues/fitness for this year.
With due respect, it sounds as if he's got an ACL with the way we're wrapping him up in cotton wool.
If his foot is healed, a full preseason should get his fitness up to scratch to play midfield.
Foot issue shouldn't take a couple of years to recover from.

Good question tbh, personally I think he will be a quality mid in time but after injuries the last few years I think it will take a couple of relatively injury free years before he can build his tank big enough to play predominantly midfield. Plus we all know what the coaches are like when it comes to young guys and midfield time, I'd like to see him get a split of atleast 30/70 midfield to forwardline time next year.

Though I think he will be valuable as a high half forward though compared to say sheed, redden or partington who struggle to impact from there, he definitely knows how to find the big sticks, is a lethal kick I50 and is fast/can tackle well which will add much needed pressure to the forwardline.

Mitch Cleary‏ @cleary_mitch 29s30 seconds ago
Dockers in at AFL House and armed with pick 40. Expect Nathan Wilson to become official this afternoon @traderadio

If it gets done for that surely we can use our second to one up them! Worth our second rounder for sure!
Surely not, if it was us, I can see us possibly doing a similar deal to the ones we did for Wellingham and Redden. That would be highway robbery if they can get it done... If a contracted Wilson is worth a 3rd round pick, than uncontracted Ah Chee must be worth a 5th round pick or lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back