2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t get why some of these footy pundits like Barrett expect us to slide down the ladder next year.
This year: NN missed the whole season, nearly half the team underperformed, had the oldest list in the league, played makeshift ruck men (who were great nonetheless), lost many games after being in front and yet we made the semi finals and could have made the top 4 if managed to get our s*** together at any stage during the home and away season.
Next year, we are getting NN back; Venables, Rioli, Watson and others who did not play this year will likely play important roles next year and moreover the team is going to be significantly younger next year compared to this year so I fully expect us to make the top 4 next year. The only unknown is how we are going to play at the new stadium - if we were still playing at Domain I am confident of winning 10-12 home games and winning at least 4-5 away games to make the top 4.

Yep can't work it out myself, you only have to read this forum to see that we are a clear top 2 side who just keeps under performing all the time. Our players are all guns. lol

On that, I think the club is quite wary of contracts coming up next season that would demands pay increases, including McGovern and Yeo.
For sure, but even then we should have by far the biggest cap space in the AFL next year. Us and I think port and the crows were the only clubs to not add automatic increases to deals proportionate to the cap increase. Plus Priddis, Mitch, Butler, Giles retiring should free up atleast 1.5-1.7 mil. Mackenzie, Lecras on decreased contracts should save us around 600k and Wellingham whether retiring or taking a pay decrease will save us a further 200-400k.

All up right there you're looking at 2.3 mil - 2.7 mil from retirements and new contracts, plus 2.5 mil in new cap space. I assume Gov and Yeo will be in the ballpark of 800k each which should sap up about 800k-1 mil max, Gaff should get an increase of 2-300k, Duggan should get another 2-300k. Plus Shuey probably copped a 300k increase in his latest contract. That totals around 1.9 mil~ for new contracts next year + shuey

Obviously this is very rough estimates but you get the jist, overall we should still have 3 mil + still lying around. We really should be making a big play at someone next year with all that spare cash, even if we have to pay a little bit of overs as this is the time there ever was one, where we can afford to splurge and overpay a little bit.

Kennedy is the only player you listed who we would be any chance of getting who I'd be interested in.

The club may or may not have pursued him and/or any of the others. They rarely do anything out in the open so how would we know?

Almost every other club with interest in a player comes out when asked and says they have an interest in said player. I don't think we are super secret squirrel all the time. We usually do say when asked if we have an interest and/or it is reported that we are looking.

Almost every other club with interest in a player comes out when asked and says they have an interest in said player. I don't think we are super secret squirrel all the time. We usually do say when asked if we have an interest and/or it is reported that we are looking.

Has anyone asked?

Little does he know, we're trading McGovern.

View attachment 427824
Barrett is obsessed with West Coast dropping off. Every single week with the same old sht. If we do, will be full of "I told you so" remarks.
Port just going bang bang bang and probably getting Watts too, while we sitting there like...WE'RE HAPPY WITH MASTEN, BACK HIM IN :straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining:
I'd much rather invest in the draft and keep our options open for the next couple FA windows than overpay 2 middling borderline squad players and 1 good midfielder who can barely put in a full season. My biggest fear was us hitting the panic switch and signing up a bunch of OK players. I'm more than happy playing the slow game at this stage

Total respect for them, they believe they have deficiencies and are trying to do something about it, and then there is us!!!!
Rawlings and Vozzo prefer to back the draft picks we have in.

Pick 31 is a champion player and clearly has runs on the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Total respect for them, they believe they have deficiencies and are trying to do something about it, and then there is us!!!!
Not really sure if they have addressed their defincies, they're already stocked with inside mids with average foot skills, and they have Wingard and Gray as similar players to Motlop.

Wouldn't be surprised if they stagnate or fall next year if they lose Ryder and cop a tougher draw. Won't get to play brissy, GC and the pies twice next year.

Not really sure if they have addressed their defincies, they're already stocked with inside mids with average foot skills, and they have Wingard and Gray as similar players to Motlop.

Wouldn't be surprised if they stagnate or fall next year if they lose Ryder and cop a tougher draw. Won't get to play brissy, GC and the pies twice next year.

Proof will be in the pudding next season. Like I said they are at least trying.

Port are clearly topping up to win a flag, however Rocky and Motlop aren't really the players required to take that step.

Will be interesting to see how they go next season.

They've got substantially better.

Their midfield last year was actually light on with numbers given they had Grey and wingard playing forward for large portions. Now you add in roughie and motlop they can rotate a lot better and have depth in their midfield.

I didn't say we would fare worse.
But if you wanted a potential reason : Midfield.

The whole point of my post is that there is no valid reason for Barrett and Co to suggest that we will slide down the ladder next year. The midfield has been like this ever since Judd and Cousins left - no different to any other year since 2007 really. If anything NN will make the midfield look a lot better than it really is.

The whole point of my post is that there is no valid reason for Barrett and Co to suggest that we will slide down the ladder next year. The midfield has been like this ever since Judd and Cousins left - no different to any other year since 2007 really. If anything NN will make the midfield look a lot better than It really is.

NN will help for sure but he won't cover the loss of Mitchell and Priddis, I know all players have to retire at some point and it was time but they are still better than what we have going forward with.

NN will help for sure but he won't cover the loss of Mitchell and Priddis, I know all players have to retire at some point and it was time but they are still better than what we have going forward with.
Meh Mitchell and Priddis weren't that good this year just gone. No reason to think that others, sheed, redden can't improve and cover a lot of what they gave us, and Nic Nat bumps everyone up 10%. Can't underestimate the difference to our mids from going from vardy/Petrie to Nic Nat/lycett in the ruck.

They've got substantially better.

Their midfield last year was actually light on with numbers given they had Grey and wingard playing forward for large portions. Now you add in roughie and motlop they can rotate a lot better and have depth in their midfield.
Ebert, Wines, Boak, SPP, Hartlett, Polec with Gray and Wingard spending time in there is plenty deep, plus Ryder rucking to them. I get the feeling they're trying to turn Wingard into that more polished/creative mid going forward anyway, not sure if they prefer him as a forward. Obviously will help with depth adding Rocky, but not too sure it gives them that point of difference compared to the type of mids they already have.

Port are clearly topping up to win a flag, however Rocky and Motlop aren't really the players required to take that step.

Will be interesting to see how they go next season.
They certainly have some quality players all over the park now. Only question mark is on the backline.

Mids - Ryder, Rockliff, Wines, Boak, Polec, Ebert, SPP

Forwards - Gray, Wingard, Dixon, Motlop

Backs - Westhoff? Jonas? Unnamed crab?

I think the only thing that's going to be stopping Port from climbing the ladder now is poor coaching. And the lack of Chris Marsden.

There seem a few people wanting us to do deals. Meanwhile we have 2 top ruck coming back and a half dozen midfielders who have been in the system for 3 years or less waiting to either play seniors or get to play in their best position. We have strength in talls - our area of need is midfield. 2017 is a decent draft year and full of midfielders. If you want talls, then this is not the draft you would value.

Great to see we are holding on to our picks. Would like an upgrade on our 3rd rounder to turn it into a second (buy buy Lamb or Shcofield or ...) but not expecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back