2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Takes him through to 32 by the time this contract ends

Would be a real positive influence for the young interstate players on the benefit of sticking it out when things don't go so well early.

With the start he had very few people would have begrudged him asking to return to Victoria but he worked through it and will undoubtedly be the next club captain
I was watching game day and they were talking about how we have alot of introverts at the club and how that it self is not very good when you go interstate. Our leaders in Hurn, Priddy, jk and gaff all fall into that category. It's time to make boots the skipper. Younger guys coming through would actually come out of their shells as a result of this and feel more comfortable and that they belong with the group.

Should target Ivan Maric, should add plenty of pace to our midfield.

There's some errors there, Partington and Allen are both listed for us but they re-upped last year.
That web site said:
"Whilst we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know."

Thanks.

Ends shopping.

I reckon once you've completed your list, just go through the players you've picked and type "[player name] contract" into Google to make sure they're available.

Eg "Stephen Coniglio contract" brings up a story from last Sept about him signing on until 2019, so he shouldn't be on there.

I reckon once you've completed your list, just go through the players you've picked and type "[player name] contract" into Google to make sure they're available.

Eg "Stephen Coniglio contract" brings up a story from last Sept about him signing on until 2019, so he shouldn't be on there.

No

That extra cap room is great but which big name targets are actually likely to be attracted to us by a big pot of money? Can't see Fyfe or Dusty crossing over. If we're going to use it to give Johannisen the $800k he's reportedly asking for then i think that's a waste.
So its a waste to use the extra cap to attract new talent to the list?

But isn't it also a waste to just pay our existing players more when many don't deserve an increase?

All clubs must spend 95% of the cap....so what do we do with the extra?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So its a waste to use the extra cap to attract new talent to the list?

But isn't it also a waste to just pay our existing players more when many don't deserve an increase?

All clubs must spend 95% of the cap....so what do we do with the extra?

we go for Johansen ,not sure of the 800k but maybe 650-700 k range would be ok

Wish list

trade out masten for what ever we can get ( pick 30-40 in a weak draft )

Same with redden pick 35-50

Go hard for Zaharakis as a free agent who is an instant upgrade on masten .

Make a big offer to Hopper Gws . Could be our inside bull for 10 years .

B. Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB . Yeo Mcgovern Watson
C . Zaharakis Sheed Gaff
HF. Venebles Darling Jetta
F. Cripps Kennedy Lycett/vardy
Foll . Natanui Shuey Hopper
int nelson Duggan Partington Cole

Wish list

B. Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB . Yeo Mcgovern Watson
C . Zaharakis Sheed Gaff
Isn't Hopper from NSW though? Not much chance we could get him imo.
To be honest I don't really see a decent midfielder that we have much chance of getting by trade or free agency unless Cripps really does decide he wants to come back to WA.

I heard Dustin Martin plays like Dustin Martin, so we should go for someone else.

To be honest I don't really see a decent midfielder that we have much chance of getting by trade or free agency unless Cripps really does decide he wants to come back to WA.
And money is universal right? Make him one of these large offers that not many 3rd-4th year players get and recruit him. We can't just limit ourselves to WA talent.

Wish list

B. Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB . Yeo Mcgovern Watson
C . Zaharakis Sheed Gaff
Doubt Zaka would come. Pretty certain he'll stay.

Love the first two moves. With Priddis staying on next year there's no need for Redden. We can also upgrade Marsden with picking up a Tim Kelly, from what I've heard and the inner development of some of our young mids.

Salary cap at Gws would be tight . Struggle to get midfield time .
Zaharakis is shuey mate get into his ear .

Don't really wany JJ . He runs and kicks it long every time . Most of the time it doesn't advantage a team mate . It would be like bringing in another wellingham .

And money is universal right? Make him one of these large offers that not many 3rd-4th year players get and recruit him. We can't just limit ourselves to WA talent.
Just not sure what motivation he would have for coming here, he's not returning for family reasons, he's not going to come here for the nightlife/lifestyle which is what a lot of WA young guys have used as a reason for staying over east. Money is one thing but he'll get decent offers from clubs closer to home as well.

Salary cap at Gws would be tight . Struggle to get midfield time .
Zaharakis is shuey mate get into his ear .

Don't really wany JJ . He runs and kicks it long every time . Most of the time it doesn't advantage a team mate . It would be like bringing in another wellingham .
If they lose Kelly there will be plenty of midfield time for him and a bit of money too.
Not that high on Zaha, don't think he would make much difference to our midfield and strikes me as a Redden kind of move.
Agree on JJ, not worth the money he wants.
If we could work out a way to get Cripps then we should even though it might cost a bit.

Just not sure what motivation he would have for coming here, he's not returning for family reasons, he's not going to come here for the nightlife/lifestyle which is what a lot of WA young guys have used as a reason for staying over east. Money is one thing but he'll get decent offers from clubs closer to home as well.
Pretty sure he was from that Riverina area IIRC GWS academy pick that played at Northern Ballarat. So Melbourne is still far away from home. We have a great track record at keeping country lads. He might be into the outdoory stuff, could be mates with some of our players. I just think it's silly to not try all good talent rather than not ask the question. You know what does appeal is we have been spoiled with success in the AFL since entering. 3 Flags, 3 runners up, missed the finals a handful of times in 30+ years and are constantly the most profitable club. We are moving into a new stadium and new training facilities. Why risk picking a s**t Vic club when you have a 10-12 year career?

Pretty sure he was from that Riverina area IIRC GWS academy pick that played at Northern Ballarat. So Melbourne is still far away from home. We have a great track record at keeping country lads. He might be into the outdoory stuff, could be mates with some of our players. I just think it's silly to not try all good talent rather than not ask the question. You know what does appeal is we have been spoiled with success in the AFL since entering. 3 Flags, 3 runners up, missed the finals a handful of times in 30+ years and are constantly the most profitable club. We are moving into a new stadium and new training facilities. Why risk picking a Vic club when you have a 10-12 year career?
I agree with asking the question, I just don't see the answer being yes. Conversely you could ask why risk coming to WA club when you only have a 10-12 year career and the extra travel will likely shorten it prematurely.

I agree with asking the question, I just don't see the answer being yes. Conversely you could ask why risk coming to WA club when you only have a 10-12 year career and the extra travel will likely shorten it prematurely.
Why risk? Because 10-12 years at a powerhouse successful club gives you a greater chance at success than 70% of the Melbourne clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back