2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
was watching Prime prospects and they were saying Braiden Ainsworth is a bit like Dom SHeed. How is he like?

AAron Naughton sounds good as well.

would love us to utilise the rookie list this season by getting some mauture age state players like a tim kelly,liam ryan or banfield. Also wouldn't mind us going for a tall that we can put on it and develop for a few years.

The West is reporting that Brendan ah Chee wants to move back home.

third rounder IMO

Fringe player at Port so doesn't have much trade value. If his brother wants to play with him that could work to our advantage.

third rounder IMO

Fringe player at Port so doesn't have much trade value. If his brother wants to play with him that could work to our advantage.
I don't rate him as highly as a lot on here do. I rekon at 24(or there abouts) he has barely made it. I would wait to see if he gets delisted.

There was talk a while ago that the Pies were into Devon Smith which presumably means his at least open to the idea of hearing whats out there for him. With him coming out of contract, what are people's thoughts on if we should be speaking to his management as to if we are an option to consider? Presume a long term deal, big dollars and promise of midfield minutes would be the initial offer???

I know everyone wants a gun mid but to get a good young key forward history tells us you need to use a high first rounder .

With a good draft for talls it may be the year we should get a genuine KPF ! Not a small KPF like darling or waterman or a tall flanker like lamb .

194cm + good on the lead and strong hands .
A couple of years development and should be ready by the time JK retires

KPF should be over 195cm going forward and preferrable closer to 200cm.

Tom Lynch 199cm
Joe Daniher 201cm
Charlie Dixon 200cm
Peter Wright 203cm

The league is going through another period of "upsizing" and by the time our next KPF is ready they will need to contend with the taller defenders being developed to match. Shorter guys with the athletic prowess to match these giants are going to be wished to be the "Bonts" of the new World of the Giants AFL. ps: not going near that acronym.

Partington is a long shot that I like
Venables will be good
Duggan will be good
Sheed is looking ok
Yeo will continue his journey through the midfield
plus Shuey and Gaff
Now these choices will probably not stand up and be easily dismissed but it's having belief that these players can be effective and forge a career which the club is hopeful on

All good picks that we stick with. I have no problem with that list but it needs some reinforcements.

Question for you Monocle ; Who in this draft will elevate the midfield ASAP to a B or A grade range ??

At this early stage there are five names that I can suggest would improve our midfield and I believe will become A graders:
Davis-Uniacke
O'Brien
Rayner
Cerra
Fogarty

All may be gone at our pick but we could trade down to get one of them.

Players who will be around at our pick range that I project as B graders:

Worpel
Higgins
Spargo

But for the ASAP bit I have been a strong advocate for targeting Zac Jones from Sydney as an immediate plug in midfield upgrade.

As far as your reference to HBF winning you :trophy::trophy::trophy: you mentioned some players that have done well in the big dance.

However look at their supporting midfield group.

Burgoyne : Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Sewell.

McLeod : Ricciuto, Edwards, Goodwin, Jarman, Bickley.

Enright : Ablett, Selwood, Bartel, Ling, Corey, Kelly.

When we get a midfield as good and as deep as the three above then I will be OK with trading in a HBF, until then I don't want us trading or using first round picks on players that are not genuine midfielders or KPP.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no trade value at all to my mind. another brown 2016
We got pick 31 from Gold Coast for a 29 year old Rosa in 2015

Masten is 28 this year and is a better player than Rosa so he would have some trade currency

Masten is 28 this year and is a better player than Rosa so he would have some trade currency
Would love to get pick 31 for masten but this year's draft looks thin after pick 20 .

maybe our first plus 31 would get us into top 10 .

would masten and say 12-14 be worth top 10 upgrade ?

hmmmmmm disagree. We'd have been better served with Rosa starting the gf than Masten. Rosa competed and put his body on the line. MArsdo, no.

Would love to get pick 31 for masten but this year's draft looks thin after pick 20 .

I'm pretty sure something similar was discussed last year, I know I was certainly one of the chorus as well.
From memory, reading between the lines of what BOND 007 said, we may have looked to move him on but there was virtually no interest and he didn't want to move anyway.

I'm pretty sure something similar was discussed last year, I know I was certainly one of the chorus as well.
From memory, reading between the lines of what BOND 007 said, we may have looked to move him on but there was virtually no interest and he didn't want to move anyway.
I can't understand how we couldn't move masten on yet Mayne got 2 million over 4 years

Thoughts on Oscar Allen as future replacement for Kennedy

From the under 18 game

Such was Allen's influence that big-bodied Glenelg product Fogarty – who played mostly in attack – was shifted down back to start the last quarter.

Thoughts on Oscar Allen as future replacement for Kennedy

From the under 18 game

Such was Allen's influence that big-bodied Glenelg product Fogarty – who played mostly in attack – was shifted down back to start the last quarter.
Unless he grows another 5cm he's not tall enough to be a Kennedy replacement. He's listed as 191cm now so he's more a 2nd or even 3rd tall type

Shown a fair bit in the two U18 games though kicking 3 goals in each game

With Darling, Lamb, Allen and Waterman as similar types all on our list already he probably doesn't fill a list need as much as I've liked the look of him

There's a couple of young WA defenders, Taylor and Naughton, that would be of more interest

Discussed the depth of the draft with a Melbourne based scout last Sunday - he was across for the U18 game and we sat together and shot the breeze,

His view was that when the state team is weak, people in that city/state tend to drive a conversation about it reflecting Australia wide and for all positions. His view was that both Vic Metro and Vic Country teams are strong and WA and SA are OK but weaker than other years especially in midfield. He was more bullish than you are dropping the talent bar low when you get passed the first round. He was at least middle 3rd round of quality. The tall stocks in particular will go quite deep (again both Vics, Allies and WA have good talls).

So I would be more than happy to get a second round pick for Masten as you will likely pick up in the 2nd or 3rd round a KPP like Sam Taylor or Ben Miller.

I would love us to get a really good midfielder and hence what can we package for one of the clubs sitting with a top 5!

Have a good look at the U18 champs with the upcoming games and you will see loads of talent. The issue for us has been that there are usually 5 to 10 guns and then 20 really good but not elite. We have been making finals hence we miss out on guns. I would love to use our 1st and 2nd and get a Cerra or Rayner. They will be there or there abouts but not top 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back