List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & FA Targets Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Given all the commentary that you've provided us, what's your take?

That's a pretty amazing statement from Lyon.
I think he's finally being honest with his supporters on where the club is at. Albeit 9 months too late.

I still think Fyfe stays. I don't think he has any intention of leaving and I think freo are going to sell to him they will be back in contention before then. I think fyfe will stay but he will play his days out in a s**t side.

I just can't see him leaving. If he does I can't see it being us.

I think he's finally being honest with his supporters on where the club is at. Albeit 9 months too late.

I still think Fyfe stays. I don't think he has any intention of leaving and I think freo are going to sell to him they will be back in contention before then. I think fyfe will stay but he will play his days out in a s**t side.

Fyfe strikes me as the ultimate competitor. I'd be very surprised if he'd be keen to hang around if they're not challenging.
In the meantime "Ross and the Rebuild"...you could write a script about it.
The irony here is just delicious.

Fyfe strikes me as the ultimate competitor. I'd be very surprised if he'd be keen to hang around if they're not challenging.
Top $ for a top coach whilst NOT challenging for a flag.

Instead, rebuilding with a top $ coach who hasn't done a rebuild and doesn't engage everyone on the list. :drunk:

Oh Nat...... why stay? For the giggles?

The crazy thing is if they called it at the end of 2014 that they were not gonna win a flag with that group then they probably had enough time to rebuild whilst fyfe walters etc were still in their prime

No wonder their CEO wants out before their fans can catch onto what everyone else knows

I'm happy to concede you've been on the ball so far with this one but I think this may have a few more chapters to play out.

Is there someone like The Pelican at Freo? (And I specifically don't mean Lyon).

Someone who can see that the cost of losing a favourite son is more than compensated strategically with a high value compensation pick? Or two mid range firsts?

Because if such an individual exists, and they have as much or more input in the list development as Lyon, then it may get quite interesting.

Fyfe may not move to us but a high value compensation pick would be sorely tempting to such an individual if the club finished bottom three.

However given your insights into how Freo operates I suppose that I'm tempting fate to suggest that this person even exists. (!!)

The crazy thing is if they called it at the end of 2014 that they were not gonna win a flag with that group then they probably had enough time to rebuild whilst fyfe walters etc were still in their prime

No wonder their CEO wants out before their fans can catch onto what everyone else knows

Fans can be completely delusional, especially when clubs try and pull the wool over their eyes with re-boot, re-work, re-jig, whatever avoidance word they want to use.
In the case of the Saints we were told straight up that it was going to be a re-build, and that it was going to be painful, so we knew exactly where we stood and we accepted it as necessary. Blind Freddy could see we needed to, but there was no BS from the club, treating us like idiots and consequently I think that's why we all got aboard and were mostly patient with it.

And looking back on it now, it wasn't so bad because we knew exactly where we were at, and in fact wooden spoon to finishing 9th on percentage in just two seasons has been amazing. I doubt we could have done it with Ross around.

Fans can be completely delusional, especially when clubs try and pull the wool over their eyes with re-boot, re-work, re-jig, whatever avoidance word they want to use.
In the case of the Saints we were told straight up that it was going to be a re-build, and that it was going to be painful, so we knew exactly where we stood and we accepted it as necessary. Blind Freddy could see we needed to, but there was no BS from the club, treating us like idiots and consequently I think that's why we all got aboard and were mostly patient with it.

And looking back on it now, it wasn't so bad because we knew exactly where we were at, and in fact wooden spoon to finishing 9th on percentage in just two seasons has been amazing. I doubt we could have done it with Ross around.
You've absolutely nailed it mate. I wish I could like that post more than once

I don't get why clubs are so scared of being honest. I reckon if you come to your fans and say "look this is where we are and this is where we want to go and this is how we are gonna do it" the majority of fans will fall in line. Hard calls and all.

I'm happy to concede you've been on the ball so far with this one but I think this may have a few more chapters to play out.

Is there someone like The Pelican at Freo? (And I specifically don't mean Lyon).

Someone who can see that the cost of losing a favourite son is more than compensated strategically with a high value compensation pick? Or two mid range firsts?

Because if such an individual exists, and they have as much or more input in the list development as Lyon, then it may get quite interesting.

Fyfe may not move to us but a high value compensation pick would be sorely tempting to such an individual if the club finished bottom three.

However given your insights into how Freo operates I suppose that I'm tempting fate to suggest that this person even exists. (!!)

I think the big problem is they're list management team is still too dysfunctional and there's far too much politics going on behind the scenes in their football dept. Last year they brought in ben allen to review it and the outcome was that more responsibility for recruiting talent from other teams should be given to their list manager Lloyd (Matthew Lloyd's brother) and not Chris bond. Which is a statement in its self. It tells me they had split the responsibility of list decisions across a number of people. There was rumour Lloyd wanted out but somehow he came out of it ok. Personally I think Ross still has too much say on what's going on.

To answer your question. I don't think there is anyone at freo that would make that call on Fyfe. I think they have the knackers to do it to the likes of Barlow Mayne ibbotson etc. But I can't see them making that call on Fyfe and surviving

I also don't think Lloyd will have the support of the board and the CEO to move Fyfe on. Their CEO has been on radio pretty much monthly stating they want to sign Fyfe and how important he is to the club. That echoes right down to the coach. Where as for us pelchen was brought in to come up with a fresh list management strategy. Pelchen then had approval to make hard decisions and move on players

Personally I don't see this situation at freo getting any better until they start fresh. Similar to us where we brought in the new president who appointed a new coach and ceo. Then we appointed a new football dept boss. We also had a new list manager in place.

It feels like they're still in limbo like we were in 2012 but atleast we had settled on needing ameet and pelchen to rejig the list. Freo haven't even worked that one out yet

I don't get why clubs are so scared of being honest. I reckon if you come to your fans and say "look this is where we are and this is where we want to go and this is how we are gonna do it" the majority of fans will fall in line. Hard calls and all.

I would imagine it was probably a little easier for us to accept knowing we'd played ten years of finals and had at least got to the GFs, although falling short.

Imagine being perpetually mid table (Tigers) or bottom (Demons) and having had to face many rebuilds. That would be seriously demoralizing.

But you're right, honestly is the very least supporters should expect from their clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the same in almost every facet of life - you set expectations whatever they are and if you deliver to them then peeps are generally happy!!!

I would imagine it was probably a little easier for us to accept knowing we'd played ten years of finals and had at least got to the GFs, although falling short.

Imagine being perpetually mid table (Tigers) or bottom (Demons) and having had to face many rebuilds. That would be seriously demoralizing.

But you're right, honestly is the very least supporters should expect from their clubs.
Very fair statement. I couldn't stomach what the Tigers are going through

fyfe will end up at west coast
The melts on that would be hilarious. Freo fans hate our club and have no respect for it. They think we are below them. Even freo fans would prefer him to come to us than wce. Wce would be the ultimate insult. Theyre cap is also pretty full. If they get fyfe then one and potential both of Shuey and Gaff have to leave the following year

If fyfe comes to us it'll be worse than the fall out on here when lyon left for freo

I think the big problem is they're list management team is still too dysfunctional and there's far too much politics going on behind the scenes in their football dept. Last year they brought in ben allen to review it and the outcome was that more responsibility for recruiting talent from other teams should be given to their list manager Lloyd (Matthew Lloyd's brother) and not Chris bond. Which is a statement in its self. It tells me they had split the responsibility of list decisions across a number of people.

To answer your question. I don't think there is anyone at freo that would make that call on Fyfe. I think they have the knackers to do it to the likes of Barlow Mayne ibbotson etc. But I can't see them making that call on Fyfe and surviving

I also don't think Lloyd will have the support of the board and the CEO to move Fyfe on. Their CEO has been on radio pretty much monthly stating they want to sign Fyfe and how important he is to the club. That echoes right down to the coach. Where as for us pelchen was brought in to come up with a fresh list management strategy. Pelchen then had approval to make hard decisions and move on players

Personally I don't see this situation at freo getting any better until they start fresh. Similar to us where we brought in the new president who appointed a new coach and ceo. Then we appointed a new football dept boss. We also had a new list manager in place.

It feels like they're still in limbo like we were in 2012 but atleast we had settled on needing ameet and pelchen to rejig the list. Freo haven't even worked that one out yet

Understood.
Many thanks.
Without doubt we will continue this conversation as the year progresses!

Understood.
Many thanks.
Without doubt we will continue this conversation as the year progresses!
Will be pretty fascinating. Either way we win. We get him, great we've got one of the games best. We don't get him, he fills another clubs cap and plays out his days in a non threatening side.

Personally if we get him I'll be stoked. If we don't then I'm right hahahahaha..win win

I think the big problem is they're list management team is still too dysfunctional and there's far too much politics going on behind the scenes in their football dept. Last year they brought in ben allen to review it and the outcome was that more responsibility for recruiting talent from other teams should be given to their list manager Lloyd (Matthew Lloyd's brother) and not Chris bond. Which is a statement in its self. It tells me they had split the responsibility of list decisions across a number of people. There was rumour Lloyd wanted out but somehow he came out of it ok. Personally I think Ross still has too much say on what's going on.

according to Freo, ross has no say on list management decisions. maybe thats not true. but ever since he left to Freo, all Freo fans were saying that it was Chris Bond etc who made the decisions and not the coach

according to Freo, ross has no say on list management decisions. maybe thats not true. but ever since he left to Freo, all Freo fans were saying that it was Chris Bond etc who made the decisions and not the coach
The same fans who think they're gonna play finals?

Brad Lloyd has a pretty good recruiting record, tarnished somewhat since Lyon arrived (I wonder why).

But yeah, Freo has been doing s**t trades since forever...

I don't know if it's the west that puts people off but they seem to not be able to attract established players. WCE seem to get everyone returning home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back