List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't trade your first round draft pick 2 years in succession.
Refer to the last line of my post :D

Already shot down in flames anyway - Heeney gone :(

But, seriously, are you sure about that? I'm aware that if you trade a future 1st rounder then you can't trade any other picks from that future draft. But I thought you could trade 1st picks in succession as long as you met the minimum (2?) over a set period (4 years?). I think there has been several teams trade away their first pick 2 years in succession.

Need to get one of the big free agents in Fyfe, Breust, Zaha, Martin

And use our first rounder and a player like cunners to get a Shiel/Patton/Kelly etc
Cunners will never be traded. He wants to stay, he is contracted, on good money and the coaches love him. You can't trade players against their will anyway. I'm not a pessimist, but I'd be very surprised if any of those big name free agents nominate us. Players want premierships and we aren't publicly considered to be anywhere near that mythical "premiership window", plus we don't have the "collingwood factor" of getting to play in front of big crowds every week. In my opinion our best option is either to keep developing from within i.e. trying to draft stars, or throwing big money at someone from an expansion club ie Dylan Shiel, Josh Kelly or Jack Martin. I assume we'll try the latter but there is a good chance it doesn't come off. Still, if the likes of Dumont, Clarke, Hibberd, McKay, Garner, Wagner, Durdin, Simpkin and Williams develop into stars we should be really competitive in a few years time. I think all those guys I've named have the potential to become A-graders, but in the end it comes down to player development. Will be an interesting few years...

Cunners will never be traded. He wants to stay, he is contracted, on good money and the coaches love him. You can't trade players against their will anyway. I'm not a pessimist, but I'd be very surprised if any of those big name free agents nominate us. Players want premierships and we aren't publicly considered to be anywhere near that mythical "premiership window", plus we don't have the "collingwood factor" of getting to play in front of big crowds every week. In my opinion our best option is either to keep developing from within i.e. trying to draft stars, or throwing big money at someone from an expansion club ie Dylan Shiel, Josh Kelly or Jack Martin. I assume we'll try the latter but there is a good chance it doesn't come off. Still, if the likes of Dumont, Clarke, Hibberd, McKay, Garner, Wagner, Durdin, Simpkin and Williams develop into stars we should be really competitive in a few years time. I think all those guys I've named have the potential to become A-graders, but in the end it comes down to player development. Will be an interesting few years...

Like your analysis. I honestly don't understand why we would trade our best players (Goldy, Cunners) to get other good players from other clubs. What have we gained? Its always the same with trading fantasies on big footy - either people want to give away our good players, or they think we can trade s**t for gold.
Nor in their frantic desires for the club to 'do something!' do they think that most of us like our players, and identify with them, even if we know they're not perfect. They treat them just like commodities, rather than Kangaroo players.

Like your analysis. I honestly don't understand why we would trade our best players (Goldy, Cunners) to get other good players from other clubs. What have we gained? Its always the same with trading fantasies on big footy - either people want to give away our good players, or they think we can trade s**t for gold.
Nor in their frantic desires for the club to 'do something!' do they think that most of us like our players, and identify with them, even if we know they're not perfect. They treat them just like commodities, rather than Kangaroo players.
Yeah we should just keep doing what we are doing and it will magically gift us a premiership

Where we stand in terms of landing an elite FA at the end of 2017 depends on what transpires on field. A promising season with finals would put us in the mix, bottom six not so much.

Where we stand in terms of landing an elite FA at the end of 2017 depends on what transpires on field. A promising season with finals would put us in the mix, bottom six not so much.

Im not sure anyone outside of North is rating us for next season. If we have a promising year and unearth some young talent to be deemed a team on the rise i think that would interest some players.

Suspect there is a good group of youth, but how that converts to wins will shape any discussions with FA's that are not hacks at their origin club.

Money talks. It may not have got Heeney over but just keeping putting the bait out and someone elite will take it

Other than Brisbane we will be paying the lowest % in the comp. We can offer something truly outrageous which surely gets someone over the line.

By someone I mean DS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post.

Don't know where this fallacy of bringing in superstars at big $$ and trading off very good core players gifts you flags.

Thinking of us or * in the 90s, cats, hawks, dogs and even swans flags, I can't recall any big money recruits coming in for top 10 players being forced out against their wills being key planks of those sides.

If anything these moves can destabilise a good existing list balance, eg Colbert, Buddy.

The nearest exception to the rule was Tom Boyd but the 2016 premiership is an outlier in several respects and the dogs wouldn't have been able to make that deal if Griffin hadn't up and left of his own accord.

Thinking of us or * in the 90s, cats, hawks, dogs and even swans flags, I can't recall any big money recruits coming in for top 10 players being forced out against their wills being key planks of those sides.

If anything these moves can destabilise a good existing list balance, eg Colbert, Buddy.

Not sure a quality player in Colbert compared to genuine AFL Superstar in Franklin is a great comparison.

One is as much commercial decision as on field output. Colbert sort of did one (on field), gave nothing in the other like 90%+ of players.

But yes i completely agree with rest of your post mate.

Not sure a quality player in Colbert compared to genuine AFL Superstar in Franklin is a great comparison.

One is as much commercial decision as on field output. Colbert sort of did one (on field), gave nothing in the other like 90%+ of players.

He wasn't comparing them.

Refer to the last line of my post :D

Already shot down in flames anyway - Heeney gone :(

But, seriously, are you sure about that? I'm aware that if you trade a future 1st rounder then you can't trade any other picks from that future draft. But I thought you could trade 1st picks in succession as long as you met the minimum (2?) over a set period (4 years?). I think there has been several teams trade away their first pick 2 years in succession.
You can trade your first rounders as long as you take 2 within a 4 year period. Thought that was common knowledge.

Colbert comparison with tippet makes more sense imo

Colbert was a big part of holding our club together after the Unpleasantness. He brought the onfield character and skill and the off field character North wanted when they went after him. Won't hear his value diminished by comparison with others, even I agree the club got a bit over-excited when they sat down to trade.

Colbert was a big part of holding our club together after the Unpleasantness. He brought the onfield character and skill and the off field character North wanted when they went after him. Won't hear his value diminished by comparison with others, even I agree the club got a bit over-excited when they sat down to trade.
Cameron Mooney and draft picks #15, #17 & #47. You think?! Imagine a club doing that these days?

Okay, the Cats wasted #15 and #17 on David Spriggs and Ezra Bray respectively, but #47 netted Enright. We got #53 (Clayton Lasscock) in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back