List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll retire Mummy (and perhaps Griffin) at the end of the year, and/or let one of the younger ones go, probably for a high draft pick.

Add Shiel and Kelly to the above list, but both of them have indicated they're staying. I hope we're whispering in Coniglio's ear.

Mummy will be a massive loss for them.

Good for the competition, but it's disappointing to hear that the Giants will likely keep the Riverina region. It's not a development territory, it's AFL country.
As someone who grew up in the Riverina it was always a South Melbourne zone so not surprising that Sydney or GWS get it.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

9 out of contract giants I'd be keen on
Jacob Hopper
Dylan Shiel
Devon Smith
Jonathan Patton
Matthew Kennedy
Adam Tomlinson
Matthew Buntine
Josh Kelly
Zac Williams

Would assume 2-3 of these go elsewhere. Let the feeding frenzy begin
Zac Williams signed a new deal with gws. Still think 2-3 of the remaining 8 will leave though

8 out of contract giants I'd be keen on
Jacob Hopper
Dylan Shiel
Devon Smith
Jonathan Patton
Matthew Kennedy
Adam Tomlinson
Matthew Buntine
Josh Kelly

Would assume 2-3 of these go elsewhere. Let the feeding frenzy begin
Tomlinson re-signed also
Kelly, Shiel or Patton should be our main targets of the remaining 7 giants

Tomlinson re-signed also
Kelly, Shiel or Patton should be our main targets of the remaining 7 giants
Don't think we need Patton. Better of going for a gun midfielder. Kelly or Shiel would be great.
Maybe we can use goldy to get one of those since they most likely need a replacement for mummy. In 2018 we play the hybrid with support from maj + gun mid fielder!

Don't think we need Patton. Better of going for a gun midfielder. Kelly or Shiel would be great.
Maybe we can use goldy to get one of those since they most likely need a replacement for mummy. In 2018 we play the hybrid with support from maj + gun mid fielder!

Patton and Kelly will re-sign before the start of the year, everything into the Shiel basket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm assuming he is lowering his trade value so he can come to North?

All his mates are here now. And I think he's out of contract.

(I may have turned some private chat into head canon).

My #1 preference on that whole list would be Hopper. I'd send a 2018 first round pick to the Giants for him, and go into a points deficit to take Tarryn Thomas in the 2018 draft.

We need to focus on building a group to challenge in 3-4 years, Ziebell and Cunnington will be in their late 20's, we also need guys that will be able to replace these 2 when the time comes. Swallow's last year this year imo. Build around Clarke, Simpkin, Ahern, McDonald etc.

Hopper himself I fear will just about be unattainable at the end of the year, he will win the RS with enough games. I'm hoping the likes of Setterfield and Taranto push him into the NEAFL for an extended period of time.

I truly reckon he will be as good as Scott Pendlebury, who his playing style most mimics imo.

We aren't a destination club, commercial benefits are low coming here and we can't offer instant success, the only thing we have to offer him is $$$, we have a shitload in the cap, I'd be plonking a $600,000 contract in front of him and front load it during this "reset". He can get $1m a season next year by coming here.. the cap is about to increase as well with the new EBA.

I wouldn't be touching Billings with a 10 foot pole, for starters St Kilda would want the farm and he's well and truly an in-between player atm, too much risk. I'd rather pillage what looks like the deepest list of young players in 25 years.

Last edited:
I truly reckon he will be as good as Scott Pendlebury, who his playing style most mimics imo.

Really? I wouldn't have thought Hopper had the finesse of Pendles. Seems more of a bull type to me, just with possibly more skill than our current bulls.

Really? I wouldn't have thought Hopper had the finesse of Pendles. Seems more of a bull type to me, just with possibly more skill than our current bulls.

Absolutely he does, his poise in traffic is one of his biggest assets imo.

He's certainly a machine, but so is Pendles physically.

Absolutely he does, his poise in traffic is one of his biggest assets imo.

He's certainly a machine, but so is Pendles physically.
Time for a new profile pic?

Jacob Hopper and 2m Peter from Gold Coast should be priority targets. Hopper future captain and will be a 10x better player than Swallow in his prime barring injuries. And a tall forward setup between Majak, Mckay and Wright would be near impossible to defend against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back