• Eric Hipwood

• Jonathan Freeman

• Jack Repath

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First ever post, have been a long term lurker so strangely enough, I "know" a lot of you.... and for the record, I will be changing this user name as soon as I am eligable to Roksman. I'm aware of all of the "in jokes", Griggs, 10:20, Graphs, Doozy and I enjoy the insights from Tiger71, KiwiTiger, PeterBuch, Ancient Tiger, Tugga, DrMike, RFCTiger74.... and the enigma that is Groupie. Also a shoutout to Michaels for the new podcasts (apologies to the regulars that I have missed).

But I digress, STW, I agree with your above theory as I have been pushing for the same approach to the draft. Unfortunately RFC cannot do this anymore as the AFL changed the rules last year "THE AFL has abolished a draft loophole that allowed clubs to gain an advantage by stockpiling back-end picks.

The league on Monday night ruled that clubs could enter this year’s draft only with the number of selections that matched the number of open spots on their list.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/112f1b7e18eda1f3127038e1a48a1477

As much as things change, they stay the same; Of course this loophole is closed once WE have a chance to use it to our advantage. Knowing this now, this may in fact mean we will need to use a first round pick on Naish; which only sucks as it limits our flexibility in the trade period - Unless we can secure a early 2nd rounder which should be enough for Naish given our 20% discount. We don't want to go into a points deficit for next year given the strength of the draft.

KOLOKOTRONIS
Testing a scenario here then

if we go into the draft with 4 spots on our primary list available after using one of our first rounders for a traded player (eg Schache) with the aim of upgrading Cal Moore, Stengle onto our primary list and to draft 2 players

We therefore have our first round pick, pick 17, then a couple of 3rd rounders and a 4th rounder as the remaining picks.

If no one has bid Naish by Pick 17 and we use it on another player but the team at 18 select Naish, I am guessing it would take the points from all our remaining picks to get Naish and we would probably be in deficit. In that instance are we precluded from upgrading Stengle and Moore as we don't have any picks left?

Surely we shouldn't have to take Naish at 17 in the above example assuming what another team may or may not do?

Anyone watched much of Schache? Interested in thoughts about his competitiveness - we've been used to watching Jack who is a competitive animal for years - does Schache have it in him to be anything like that? That's been my biggest knock on griff, got all the attributes but missing a bit of killer instinct like jack

Just on Schache - where did all of this more likely talk come from? Has there been something more concrete than just speculation that despite re-signing he is in fact gettable?

& maybe it's just me but I see a little Cleve Hughes in Schache... :oops:

Testing a scenario here then

if we go into the draft with 4 spots on our primary list available after using one of our first rounders for a traded player (eg Schache) with the aim of upgrading Cal Moore, Stengle onto our primary list and to draft 2 players

We therefore have our first round pick, pick 17, then a couple of 3rd rounders and a 4th rounder as the remaining picks.

If no one has bid Naish by Pick 17 and we use it on another player but the team at 18 select Naish, I am guessing it would take the points from all our remaining picks to get Naish and we would probably be in deficit. In that instance are we precluded from upgrading Stengle and Moore as we don't have any picks left?

Surely we shouldn't have to take Naish at 17 in the above example assuming what another team may or may not do?

Good question, my understanding is that rookie upgrades no longer require the use of a live pick? Happy to be corrected though.

Our football department is a well oiled machine and I'm sure they have this covered, Balme knows what he is doing. Make no mistake though, if we manage to snag Schache, and use the other first round pick (whether it be trade or draft) before completing the Naish selection - there will be a lot of hate coming our way.... especially if we're reigning premiers! Love it.

Just on Schache - where did all of this more likely talk come from? Has there been something more concrete than just speculation that despite re-signing he is in fact gettable?

been a few reports over the past few days, there was one in the sun today saying we had already discussed trades with the lions

JOSH Schache is again in Richmond’s sights as the Tigers chase a second key forward who can eventually take over from champion spearhead Jack Riewoldt.

Tigers and Lions officials have already spoken informally about what a trade for Schache could look like.

TRADE HQ: LATEST DEALS AND RUMOURS

COMPETITION: WIN TICKETS TO THE TIGERS’ PRELIMINARY FINAL

It would almost certainly include one of Richmond’s first draft picks — currently 15 and 16 — as the key plank in sending the young goalkicker to Punt Rd.

The Lions are open to trading Schache, 20, despite re-signing the goalkicker until 2019 just three months ago.

Richmond’s two first-round selections will fall between 15-17, depending on who wins the premiership.

Anyone watched much of Schache? Interested in thoughts about his competitiveness - we've been used to watching Jack who is a competitive animal for years - does Schache have it in him to be anything like that? That's been my biggest knock on griff, got all the attributes but missing a bit of killer instinct like jack
I agree with you, he looks like he can take a mark and is a nice kick for goal, but I would prefer if he was better at taking contested marks or at least busting packs. Also he doesn't seem to relish the contest or enjoy a bit of crash and bash that you want to see in a big body. I am not sure if this type of attitude can be taught, maybe get Towno to randomly belt him around the chops every second or third training session and see if he can instil a bit of mongrel?

Re Schache this is from today.

Also mentions Naish is likely to command interest before our first round selection and possibly in the top 10

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20170919/282243780768408

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good question, my understanding is that rookie upgrades no longer require the use of a live pick? Happy to be corrected though.

Our football department is a well oiled machine and I'm sure they have this covered, Balme knows what he is doing. Make no mistake though, if we manage to snag Schache, and use the other first round pick (whether it be trade or draft) before completing the Naish selection - there will be a lot of hate coming our way.... especially if we're reigning premiers! Love it.
We don't have to use live picks but the list spots will be "taken" before the draft begins I think. So that we lose the last two draft choice anyway since we can only carry as many as we have spots on the list.

Balic looking to get out of Freo. I know a few on here were keen
I feel like his issues could be solved by the environment at Richmond. I am not one who knows quite a lot about players pre-draft, but I remember thinking that he could be a decent player for Fremantle. Being a ~187cm midfielder, he is definitely a player I'd have a look at if I was at the club.

Need Naish to rock up to draft camp with a box of VB tins and a pack of Winnie blues and take that into his first interview.

If it's with Lollingwood though they might use their first pick on him.
Just tank the 20mtr runs 3.49 will have him drop to 3rd rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back