Oppo Camp 2017 Trade & Free Agency Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be pretty happy if we took our two first rounders to the draft this year and tried to lure a free agent, supposed to be a good crop of talls this year so one of those picks should be used on one of them.

GWS aren't giving Hopper up for anything less than a first rounder, kidding yourself if you think a second would do the job. Was drafted at #6 two years ago and is tracking nicely.
Not sure about that considering they have in the past.

Tonight it was evident that we need another tall forward or at least a 3rd tall who can lead up and take a grab and use it. Griffiths just got another concussion. He may never play again. I would kill for a Tom Lynch from the crows he would fit so well, but that won't happen. We need to target someone like a schace, tim o'brien, Gunston etc. if we don't we will not go anywhere.

You point is quite valid, but I still reckon the clubs believe the cost outweighs the benefit.

Not many blokes can constantly win you a game off their own boot alone to warrant sacrificing 2 opportunities to bring in a kid how may be at the same level in 5 years time.

The only teams who should are ones who think they can win a flag in the next 2-3 years. If they give 2 first rounders away and don't win a flag, it jeopardises the clubs future too much.

Case in point with Collingwood and Treloar now - he is a gun (granted he turns it over a bit), but hasn't won them games off his own boot and they coughed up the right to bring in top end talent 2 years in a row for him.

2nd Case in point is Hawthorn - Their previous trading to win flags was exceptional, but they have sold the farm for O'meara and Mitchell and haven't and won't bring in any top level talent from the draft for a significant period of time.

And while the argument of guaranteed talent vs potential but unproven talent is there, it's all about the cost to the club to take that risk.

Me personally, a 1st rounder + (mid tier player even like Griffiths) or changing of later picks would and should be sufficient given historical market value

Omeara and Mitchell are top flight talent and that would cost at minimum two first rounders if you were to draft them yourself let alone the risk that you end up with a spud and waste the pick all together. If both had gone in the open draft they would of been top five selections, Jaeger a likely first overall.

The top flight talent in this league are worth two fist round picks if done right, Dangerfield to us would be worth two, same with Lynch, Talia, Walker, Kennedy. Get any of those players and we jump to a flag threat.

It's ridiculous how many s**t players get a game each week and I honestly think there is only enough talent for a twelve team league. Outside the top ten talent drops quickly so there is a massive discrepancy between the talent available mid teens compared to a top ten pick.

It has to be balanced, a top tier talent on a fair wage in the middle of their career are worth two firsts any day. If the wage goes up or the player is older the pick price has to go down.

Tonight it was evident that we need another tall forward or at least a 3rd tall who can lead up and take a grab and use it. Griffiths just got another concussion. He may never play again. I would kill for a Tom Lynch from the crows he would fit so well, but that won't happen. We need to target someone like a schace, tim o'brien, Gunston etc. if we don't we will not go anywhere.

Yep, 2017 trade and draft period will focus heavily on talls.
Elton should be delisted.
Ivan will retire
Griff is one concussion away from retirement
Hammer's future would have to be under a cloud.
Hopefully either Chol or Soldo makes the grade, then if you believe what you read Schache is a big chance. Another ready to go ruckman and KPF would be great as well as a couple of kids in the draft.

Both.
Sam Reid -FA
Schache/Gunston/Lever - First round & Lennon
Devon Smith/Hopper - First
Matthew Kennedy (GWS) - Future 2nd
Naish - Third (Maybe 2x third round picks)

I'd be pretty happy with that off season.

FB: Grimes Rance Short
HB: Houli Astbury Kennedy
C: McIntosh Cotchin Grigg
HF: Smith Reid Riewoldt
FF: Rioli Schache Butler

Ruck: Nank Martin Prestia

Int: Caddy Markov Conca Menadue/Edwards/Castagna

Who would you take?
Reid is a FA so would cost us zilch and be an immediate replacement for Griffiths and Elton. Jackson Trengove is the other one worth having a crack at (also a FA). Both of those guys are capable of playing a variety of roles.
Schache is going to cost us, so I reckon we need to weigh that up at the end of the season ie see whats available in the draft and what number our 2 first rounders are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Reid as an FA would be absolutely perfect. 600k is the right money too. Gun CHF, 26 for the 2018 season (December birth). Can swing in defence if, god forbid, Rance/Astbury goes down.

Use one of our 2 x 1sts to bring in a young gun KPF to develop behind Jack/Rance/Reid/Astbury/Nank. Use the remaining 1st to bring in a jet from somewhere, any ideas? Guys like Lever are probably a pipe dream at this stage.

Window will be open with that off-season.

Both.
Sam Reid -FA
Schache/Gunston/Lever - First round & Lennon
Devon Smith/Hopper - First
Matthew Kennedy (GWS) - Future 2nd
Naish - Third (Maybe 2x third round picks)

I'd be pretty happy with that off season.
why would kennedy only cost a 2nd?

Our list does need an overhaul, We have too much money invested in players that either cant get on the park or no longer best 22-25

Hampson
Maric
Morris
Elton
Lennon
Batchelor
Broad
Griffiths (maybe)

Thats 2 million dollars just there that needs to be released, Dont think Reid is the answer but
Schache,Trengove,Lever,Hopper should all be well and truly be considered

We ve positioned ourselves well with r1 picks to exploit this need either trade or invest in draft . Schashe for mine 1 X r1 and bachelor

We ve positioned ourselves well with r1 picks to exploit this need either trade or invest in draft . Schashe for mine 1 X r1 and bachelor

I'm not sure if Batchelor has currency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you put the article text in the thread? Premium article block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SYDNEY Swans key forward Sam Reid looms as this year’s most attractive tall free agency target as clubs sweat on a $2 million boost in the salary cap.

The Victorian-born swingman has enjoyed the best start of his injury-marred career this year and remains out of contract at season’s end.

Reid, 25, has produced career-best results in goals (2.2), score involvements (5), marks (5.4) and disposals (14) over the first five rounds.

FREE AGENT: REID WANTS TO STAY WITH SWANS

POOR FORM: SAD EXIT LOOMING FOR SWANS STAR JACK

SYDNEY DERBY: GIANTS NOW BULLIES IN SWANS BACKYARD

Rival clubs including Richmond and Collingwood are searching for an established key forward and are waiting on an the AFL and the Players’ Association to confirm an expected 20 per cent increase in player payments as part of the protracted CBA negotiations.

The Tigers lost big man Tyrone Vickery to Hawthorn last year and key prong Ben Griffiths is battling a concussion problem, while Collingwood remains heavily reliant on third-year spearhead Darcy Moore.

Richmond is also circling Brisbane young gun Josh Schache but the Lions are confident he will stay under new coach Chris Fagan.

d5d59455bd68ac46f7694427760bf842

Sam Reid is a free agent at the end of the year.
0fd520740ef463b7963365e603dd8ab4

Brisbane youngster Josh Schache.
Reid’s management is expected to meet Sydney officials about contract talks next month, but the 196cm swingman is in no rush to sign after an injury-ruined 2016.

Reid did not play a single game last season due to a troublesome Achilles injury but is confident he has put those problems behind him, completing a full preseason.

This year’s free agency pool is headlined by superstar midfielders Nathan Fyfe and Dustin Martin, leaving Reid and Port Adelaide’s Jackson Trengove as the top key position targets.

Reid has repeatedly said he was happy to stay in Sydney, citing there was “not really any reason for me to look elsewhere”.

However, a lucrative and long-term offer from a Victorian rival could yet tempt the prized marking target to return home.

Industry sources said a fully-fit Reid was worth more than $650,000 a season.

2af355f15eb2128b5d64afee68ffbb05

Collingwood's Ben Reid outmarks his brother, Sydney’s Sam Reid. Picture: Phil Hillyard
Reid’s brother, Ben, told the Herald Sun last year he was keen to play alongside his sibling.

“He loves it up in Sydney, but I would love to play with him, no doubt,” Ben Reid said.

Sydney may be unable to afford another high-priced goalkicker, with star duo Lance Franklin and Kurt Tippett reportedly sharing in almost $2 million a year between them this season.

The Swans have also had to factor in significant pay rises for young stars Isaac Heeney and Callum Mills and midfield superstar Daniel Hannebery, who has finished top-five in the Brownlow Medal in the past two years.

89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a

The AFL abolished Sydney’s controversial cost of living allowance (COLA) which permitted the Swans just shy of an extra $1 million in its salary cap until this season.

The Swan can walk to the club of his choice under free agency rules in October after serving eight seasons in red and white.

A free agency move could secure Sydney a second-round compensation pick, depending on the terms of his deal at a new club.

Sydney has endured its worst start to a season in 23 years and will attempt to secure its first win of the season against Carlton at the MCG on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back