2017 trade hypothetical thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Then you're failing even harder. In reality there's no logic being applied to any of your posts in here - that much is very obvious.

I love it when this argument is raised, because it's a complete cop-out.

If there was any truth to that, there'd be a hell of a lot more trades going through than what we see every year.

Please explain to me the logic of a team like Carlton holding a player til retirement when their next premiership will most likely be after he retires?
As I said Id understand it if it was a Luke Hodge style on-field/off-field leader, but we all know Gibbs isnt that.

In two years time Gibbs will be gone regardless.
So in two years time would you want another 2 best 22 players (possibly)? or nothing?

If you think Gibbs will provide intangibles that exceed the possibility of two best 22 players then I dont know why we're having this discussion.

Its happening more and more, especially for players who want to have a crack at a flag in their last few years.

Please explain to me the logic of a team like Carlton holding a player til retirement when their next premiership will most likely be after he retires?
As I said Id understand it if it was a Luke Hodge style on-field/off-field leader, but we all know Gibbs isnt that.

So in two years time would you want another 2 best 22 players (possibly)? or nothing?

If you think Gibbs will provide intangibles that exceed the possibility of two best 22 players then I dont know why we're having this discussion.

Its happening more and more, especially for players who want to have a crack at a flag in their last few years.

Young players need leaders and experienced players to guide them. Gibbs leads by example with his professionalism and work ethic, without him there would be a leadership hole at Carlton having a detrimental effect on the development of their young developing player.

Trouble is it sometimes doesn't have to be illness to really want to or need to move back for family reasons.

There are plenty of other perfectly legitimate family reasons.

I understand theyre both under contract, but the problem is as a player you'd want to lock away your future by signing longer term (incase you do your knee or whatever), but family things can change in a month, and situation changes quickly.

I think Carlton were doing really well getting a 1st and a 2nd for Gibbs, but doesnt seem like SOS see it that way.

i would take a first and second only if it was pick 10 though

I had to have a chuckle at St Kilda if what is reported is true.

The Age is saying they're formalising an offer to Adam Tomlinson-4yrs.

Are only prepared to offer GWS a future 2nd rounder and possibly a third.

Absolutely astounding some of the demands from some clubs.

I actually credit Saints with not being that silly. I think it was clickbait. Unless thete's a wuote from someone at their club I'm calling BS.

ADEL-BRIS-COLL 3 WAY

ADEL IN: Pick 6 (Coll), Pick 18 (Bris)
ADEL OUT: Pick 10 (Bris), Cameron (Bris)

BRIS IN: Pick 10 (Adel), Cameron (Adel), 2018 2nd Round Pick (Coll)
BRIS OUT: Pick 12 (Coll), Pick 18 (Bris), Schache (Coll), 2018 3rd Round Pick (Coll)

COLL IN: Pick 12 (Bris), Schache (Coll), 2018 3rd Round Pick (Bris)
COLL OUT: Pick 6 (Adel), 2018 2nd Round Pick (Bris)

Why ADEL: Upgrading pick 10 to pick 6 would put them in a perfect position to draft Darcy Fogarty. The 4 pick upgrade and Pick 18 is fair compensation for Cameron.

Why BRIS: They upgrade 2 picks to get in the top 10 and get a future 2nd rounder for homesick Josh Schache. Pick 10 will be important for any Connor Ballenden bids and if no bid received by pick 10, they could use the pick for Jaidyn Stephenson who expressed a desire to play in Brisbane. I think Brisbane would be OK to give a future 3rd round pick to Collingwood to get the Cameron deal over the line, as Adelaide has been insisting that Pick 18 on its own isn't enough for Cameron.

Why COLL: Schache for a future 2nd rounder fills a major key position forward need and downgrading 6 picks to Pick 12 is a smart move if Collingwood is keen on drafting Noah Balta. Pick 6 is probably too early for Balta so downgrading 6 picks and getting a future 3rd round pick in return for "free" is good draft strategy if Balta is the player they want to target in the draft.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is Gibbs retiring at 30? only played less than 21 games one season. Could easily go on another 5 years (33 is quite standard). Will be the type of player to go to a HBF in his older years IMO. You can't trade all your senior talent in a rebuild, having Gibbs contributed to us being competitive in most games this year which enables the kids to learn in those situations. Taking Gibbs out of our side and replacing him with a 18 year old reduces that ability to learn and the leadership. The club obviously wants to climb the ladder asap. Trading away one of our best players, best leaders, in the position we are most in need, for a pick in the teens, in a weak draft, wouldn't be high on the agenda. Would we be more inclined if our midfield was one of our strengths? ofcourse, but its not. I don't understand how you don't get it? The club has set a price, its up to Adelaide to match it. If they decide its too high then Gibbs stays. If Adelaide decides it needs to replace Lever, Cameron & Smith with experience they meet the price or they hit they draft and back their list. Look at how sending out all kids worked out for Melbourne's Trengove or Grimes.

ADEL-BRIS-COLL 3 WAY

ADEL IN: Pick 6 (Coll), Pick 18 (Bris)
ADEL OUT: Pick 10 (Bris), Cameron (Bris)

BRIS IN: Pick 10 (Adel), Cameron (Adel), 2018 2nd Round Pick (Coll)
BRIS OUT: Pick 12 (Coll), Pick 18 (Bris), Schache (Coll), 2018 3rd Round Pick (Coll)

COLL IN: Pick 12 (Bris), Schache (Coll), 2018 3rd Round Pick (Bris)
COLL OUT: Pick 6 (Adel), 2018 2nd Round Pick (Bris)

Why ADEL: Upgrading pick 10 to pick 6 would put them in a perfect position to draft Darcy Fogarty. The 4 pick upgrade and Pick 18 is fair compensation for Cameron.

Why BRIS: They upgrade 2 picks to get in the top 10 and get a future 2nd rounder for homesick Josh Schache. Pick 10 will be important for any Connor Ballenden bids and if no bid received by pick 10, they could use the pick for Jaidyn Stephenson who expressed a desire to play in Brisbane. I think Brisbane would be OK to give a future 3rd round pick to Collingwood to get the Cameron deal over the line, as Adelaide has been insisting that Pick 18 on its own isn't enough for Cameron.

Why COLL: Schache for a future 2nd rounder fills a major key position forward need and downgrading 6 picks to Pick 12 is a smart move if Collingwood is keen on drafting Noah Balta. Pick 6 is probably too early for Balta so downgrading 6 picks and getting a future 3rd round pick in return for "free" is good draft strategy if Balta is the player they want to target in the draft.
Collingwood getting Schache for a 15 or so pick downgrade in the 25-45s? dream on champ

If that's true that's astounding. Considering he's worth a first and they have two of them this year.

Why is Gibbs retiring at 30? only played less than 21 games one season. Could easily go on another 5 years (33 is quite standard). Will be the type of player to go to a HBF in his older years IMO. You can't trade all your senior talent in a rebuild, having Gibbs contributed to us being competitive in most games this year which enables the kids to learn in those situations. Taking Gibbs out of our side and replacing him with a 18 year old reduces that ability to learn and the leadership. The club obviously wants to climb the ladder asap. Trading away one of our best players, best leaders, in the position we are most in need, for a pick in the teens, in a weak draft, wouldn't be high on the agenda. Would we be more inclined if our midfield was one of our strengths? ofcourse, but its not. I don't understand how you don't get it? The club has set a price, its up to Adelaide to match it. If they decide its too high then Gibbs stays. If Adelaide decides it needs to replace Lever, Cameron & Smith with experience they meet the price or they hit they draft and back their list. Look at how sending out all kids worked out for Melbourne's Trengove or Grimes.

Well put it this way nobody's going to trade for him when hes 30+ so it means he'll retire a blue.
The two years was simply til the end of his contract.

I get it, I just don't get why you're SO desperate to hold him, when the alternative fits more with your long term plan.

You guys keep saying "look what happened to Melbourne when they got rid of all their experience". Melbourne almost made the 8 this year and you guys are still lower down. Obviously it didn't hurt them too badly.

Well put it this way nobody's going to trade for him when hes 30+ so it means he'll retire a blue.
The two years was simply til the end of his contract.

I get it, I just don't get why you're SO desperate to hold him, when the alternative fits more with your long term plan.

You guys keep saying "look what happened to Melbourne when they got rid of all their experience". Melbourne almost made the 8 this year and you guys are still lower down. Obviously it didn't hurt them too badly.
When did Melbourne get rid of all the experience?

It was an absolute disaster and "almost making the 8" this year doesn't erase that their fans experienced some exceptionally painful years where their only hope of turning up confident for a win came when they played Essendon.

When did Melbourne get rid of all the experience?

It was an absolute disaster and "almost making the 8" this year doesn't erase that their fans experienced some exceptionally painful years where their only hope of turning up confident for a win came when they played Essendon.

Got rid of a lot of experience around 2011/2012.

It was a disaster, maybe, but I dont think that was the actual reason Melbourne stunk at that time. It was more due to poor selections at the draft and poor coaching/development.

Calrton didnt go about it that way, but arguably are in the same position. That's all my point was, that the dark years can come from many sources. Trading out Bryce Gibbs will not set Carlton back like some posters are saying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back