2017 Trade Hypotheticals (opposition supporters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Schache and pick 12 to Saints for picks 7 and 8.

Leaving us with 1, 7, 8 and 18.

That rates Schache as worth pick 5

Not sure saints would be happy with that.

I wonder whether you guys would go after Lachie Weller this year. I'm one who likes the look of your list as it is developing and think you have the key posts covered and with another season or two under the belt will all be beasts in the role. You recruited really well for mids last year and this year deepening the mids isn't the worst idea.

At best, maybe using pick 12 for a local boy who has done a couple of years and would make a decent hbf/mid ( hopefully mid at that price) will get the deal done, or if Freo wouldn't go for that, something a little different.

Pick 1 to Freo, Weller and Pick 5 to Brisbane. It isn't as bad an idea as it first sounds, in this day and age with recruitment as it is, you should be able to get a gun whether pick 1 or 5. If you look back over the last 10 years, look at pick 1 and players picked between 5-10 and see if your team picks well ( and to be fair, they have picked very well in the last few) is there that much damage moving down a few picks, getting a mid starting to come into his own who won't leave and getting another gun is a better return than just one player.

Of course, if you think Weller is s**t, then the above is pretty worthless :)

I wonder whether you guys would go after Lachie Weller this year. I'm one who likes the look of your list as it is developing and think you have the key posts covered and with another season or two under the belt will all be beasts in the role. You recruited really well for mids last year and this year deepening the mids isn't the worst idea.

At best, maybe using pick 12 for a local boy who has done a couple of years and would make a decent hbf/mid ( hopefully mid at that price) will get the deal done, or if Freo wouldn't go for that, something a little different.

Pick 1 to Freo, Weller and Pick 5 to Brisbane. It isn't as bad an idea as it first sounds, in this day and age with recruitment as it is, you should be able to get a gun whether pick 1 or 5. If you look back over the last 10 years, look at pick 1 and players picked between 5-10 and see if your team picks well ( and to be fair, they have picked very well in the last few) is there that much damage moving down a few picks, getting a mid starting to come into his own who won't leave and getting another gun is a better return than just one player.

Lachie Weller's probably spent as much time in WA now than he did in Queensland. I quite like Weller but he's probably happy where he is.

Pick 1 to Freo, Weller and Pick 5 to Brisbane.

For Pick 1, the Lions appear to prefer multiple early draft picks. However Lachie Weller is the right age frame for a developing Lions list and would help fulfill a desire to deepen their midfield depth. Pick 12 is more likely, but if the Lions felt they could pick up a elite midfielder with Pick 5, then maybe.

Lachie Weller's probably spent as much time in WA now than he did in Queensland. I quite like Weller but he's probably happy where he is.

I never quite understand why people seem to think he's a qlder all the time? Sure he spent a few years here when mav was at the GC but i doubt he'd have very strong ties to qld TBH, and if so then they'd be on the Gold Coast. Always a confusing one when I hear it.

I never quite understand why people seem to think he's a qlder all the time? Sure he spent a few years here when mav was at the GC but i doubt he'd have very strong ties to qld TBH, and if so then they'd be on the Gold Coast. Always a confusing one when I hear it.
Its a good thing you only read it this time;):)

I don't think the Lions will fall for the you can still get a gun with pick 5 idea. If that's the case, just keep it (and Weller) and be happy and we'll take the best player in the draft and be happy too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ I have been thinking about that for a while.

Don't know if he did anything in the couple of AFL games he got this year but apparantly was very good all year in the VFL and impressed with his professionalism/leadership etc at that level.

If we have a live late national draft pick I personally think someone like him (for a 1-2 year contract) is more useful than picking a random 18yo at pick 72 in the draft these days.

^ I have been thinking about that for a while.

Don't know if he did anything in the couple of AFL games he got this year but apparantly was very good all year in the VFL and impressed with his professionalism/leadership etc at that level.

If we have a live late national draft pick I personally think someone like him (for a 1-2 year contract) is more useful than picking a random 18yo at pick 72 in the draft these days.

We could just take him as a delisted free agent as well.

Wouldnt rule him out, but wouldnt really make an effort to chase him either. maybe throw him a life line if we have a list spot. Players can reinvent themselves with a change of clubs. But id still worry why Melb cut him.

Who is the best Adelaide Tom Lynch type in the draft? IMO that is what we need the most on top of more elite mids. A repeat lead in the forward line that has height and can provide a go to across fwd and into the midfield.

Who is the best Adelaide Tom Lynch type in the draft? IMO that is what we need the most on top of more elite mids. A repeat lead in the forward line that has height and can provide a go to across fwd and into the midfield.
Really do not think there is one in this draft.

It's looking really weak for talls.

Really do not think there is one in this draft.

It's looking really weak for talls.
Oscar allen from here in WA is probably the closest. Plays tall but is undersized for a key forward. Very mobile though so probably a 3rd tall at afl level

Oscar allen from here in WA is probably the closest. Plays tall but is undersized for a key forward. Very mobile though so probably a 3rd tall at afl level
If I was keen to trade picks 12 & 18 to move up in the draft, I would have a serious discussion with Freemantle for pick 5. 12 & 18 would give them a real shot at picking up both Naughton and Allen without looking like they are reaching for either player.

If I was keen to trade picks 12 & 18 to move up in the draft, I would have a serious discussion with Freemantle for pick 5. 12 & 18 would give them a real shot at picking up both Naughton and Allen without looking like they are reaching for either player.
Yeah from a trade perspective they look a likely target in terms of a pick exchange

Jackson Trengrove delisted from the Demons, worth a sniff?
Jack trengove? If that's the one you're talking about I'm pretty sure his foot issues have robbed him of most of his speed and athleticism. Can get away with that at vfl level but not AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back