2017 Trade Hypotheticals (opposition supporters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Any interest in Darcy Lang?

20 for Lang for 35?

Should give us enough points for Ballenden.

I've heard the name, and I've seen it in the officials teams and on the final stats, but I cannot remember a single thing he is done.

I'm pretty sure Darcy Lang doesn't exist, and the official records are part of an elaborate scam for the Cats to move further up the draft order. That might seem hard to believe, but it's more realistic than band 2 compo for Motlop.

neg99

Team Captain
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've heard the name, and I've seen it in the officials teams and on the final stats, but I cannot remember a single thing he is done.

I'm pretty sure Darcy Lang doesn't exist, and the official records are part of an elaborate scam for the Cats to move further up the draft order. That might seem hard to believe, but it's more realistic than band 2 compo for Motlop.

I’ve seen him live in Canberra a couple times. His kicking action is pretty horrendous. Actually thought he was Irish (think Colm Begley or Niall McKeever action) and picked up our game late. Never found him impressive at all. Don’t want him and certainly not for a high pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Have seen him in VFL a couple of times.....good at VFL......not so good Afl....we have enough of those already.

I’ve seen him live in Canberra a couple times. His kicking action is pretty horrendous. Actually thought he was Irish (think Colm Begley or Niall McKeever action) and picked up our game late. Never found him impressive at all. Don’t want him and certainly not for a high pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Canberra? I don't think he's played in Canberra.

Admit it neg99. You're part of the conspiracy trying to convince us he exists.

neg99

Team Captain
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In Canberra? I don't think he's played in Canberra.

Admit it neg99. You're part of the conspiracy trying to convince us he exists.

Lol. Tin foil hat style :)

Geelong generally play 1 game a year here. Can confirm his existence. About the only good game I’ve seen him play is the prelim this year.

Either way he’s publicly stated he wants to remain in Vic and has suitors there so he can go on not existing out of sight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would Sydney do 14 and 33 for 18 and 20?

We lose out on points but between 33 and 43 a second round bid on Ballenden shouldn't put us in deficit and it improves our third pick.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would Sydney do 14 and 33 for 18 and 20?

We lose out on points but between 33 and 43 a second round bid on Ballenden shouldn't put us in deficit and it improves our third pick.
That means we lose out on Cameron. I would still like to keep pick 20 there for the last 30 minutes of trade period. I feel that they will cave, If we can package 18 and 12 up for a top 10 that would be ideal. Not sure who would take it though

Pns_blister

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Posted this on the Cameron thread, realised it was probably the wrong thread so I am re-posting it here:

How about Brisbane's 12 and 18 for collingwoods 6 and 36? On points they are exactly equal. Both valued at 2,253.

Would allow Brisbane another pick to cover ballenden bid, whilst moving further up the draft to enable us to land two of Brayshaw, cera, ldu, dow, Rayner and Stephenson.

Can also still use 20 for Cameron.

It's no secret Collingwood need key position players, and moving back in the draft would enable them to get more value for theirpicks. As the pointy end is all midfielders.

Potential net:

Dow/ldu, Brayshaw/stephenson, Cameron and Ballenden

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I come in peace....

Would you take 25 + 30 for 18 + 43?
Welcome.

I would highly doubt it. We like all other clubs are more interested in trading up for earlier picks. If we had more than one Academy player likely to be bid on in the top 30 we might be more interested in the points, but we don't as we only have Ballenden.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Why would we do that deal?
Couple of reasons i can think of.

Presuming Ballenden is around pick 16/17/18, your 20 would cover your bid. You would then get two additional top 30 picks that would be unencumbered and usable. The draft (DPS is our resident expert) apparently drops off sharply after 30, but 15-30 is not that different.

If he (Ballenden) is after 20 its a free hit for you guys depending on where he falls and you still get to use at least one of the 2nds we gave you.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Couple of reasons i can think of.

Presuming Ballenden is around pick 16/17/18, your 20 would cover your bid. You would then get two additional top 30 picks that would be unencumbered and usable. The draft (DPS is our resident expert) apparently drops off sharply after 30, but 15-30 is not that different.

If he (Ballenden) is after 20 its a free hit for you guys depending on where he falls and you still get to use at least one of the 2nds we gave you.

This really only works on the assumption that Ballenden is bid on before pick 18 which looks unlikely.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
This really only works on the assumption that Ballenden is bid on before pick 18 which looks unlikely.
Say a bid comes for Ballenden at say 22.
With your current draft hand you would get selection 1, 12, 18, 20 but then you would have to use 43, and a bunch of later picks to match it. I dont know how many list spots you have available, but your active draft picks may run out and there is a chance (not a certainty) you would go into deficit for next year.

If my hypothetical trade happened,
you would use 1, 12, 20 and then match Ballenden at 25 and use another unencumbered pick at 30. Pick 43 would be left alone also.
If a bid came from 26+ on wards in this scenario you are set as either 30 or 43 would match easily and you could use 25 unencumbered and the player you get at 25 wont be much worse than the one at 18.

Obviously it matters how many list spots you have, if you have like 7 then yeah, the trade isnt worth it for you guys haha.
But if you have 5 or so it makes it hard to match if a bid comes in that 21-30 range which is likely as well.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With your current draft hand you would get selection 1, 12, 18, 20 but then you would have to use 43, and a bunch of later picks to match it. I dont know how many list spots you have available, but your active draft picks may run out and there is a chance (not a certainty) you would go into deficit for next year.

If my hypothetical trade happened,
you would use 1, 12, 20 and then match Ballenden at 25 and use another unencumbered pick at 30. Pick 43 would be left alone also.
If a bid came from 26+ on wards in this scenario you are set as either 30 or 43 would match easily and you could use 25 unencumbered and the player you get at 25 wont be much worse than the one at 18.

Obviously it matters how many list spots you have, if you have like 7 then yeah, the trade isnt worth it for you guys haha.
But if you have 5 or so it makes it hard to match if a bid comes in that 21-30 range which is likely as well.

Pick 30 has extremely little value and if pick 30 is enough to match the bid then using pick 25 becomes of little value.

I do think we need to look at getting a pick around 30-35 but there'd be better offers.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
Only 4 list spots at the moment, assuming Hodge takes Rockliff's spot. Have 5 active picks 1,12, 18, 20, 43. We will sill need to delist Claye Beams or Michael Close to use them all. We don't need more picks, more likely less picks. We can just take Ballenden at 20 ourselves and if the bid comes earlier we're in a better position to match. With the number of picks now equal to list spots there's now no motivation to trade down the draft order for points. Only makes sense to trade up to get more access to better players. If you want to trade up, then why wouldn't we... you're not offering anything of value, I'm afraid.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Only 4 list spots at the moment, assuming Hodge takes Rockliff's spot. Have 5 active picks 1,12, 18, 20, 43. We will sill need to delist Claye Beams or Michael Close to use them all. We don't need more picks, more likely less picks. We can just take Ballenden at 20 ourselves and if the bid comes earlier we're in a better position to match. With the number of picks now equal to list spots there's now no motivation to trade down the draft order for points. Only makes sense to trade up to get more access to better players. If you want to trade up, then why wouldn't we... you're not offering anything of value, I'm afraid.
I suppose what I am saying is say you have 5 list spots... 1, 12, 18, 20, 43 are your picks You can just take Ballenden at 20 and be done with it..

Or you can take 1, 12, 20, 25, 30 as your picks.
If Ballenden is bid on after 12 and before 20 you match and get 25 and 30 to draft freely (with no trade it is 20 and 43 you get to use after)
If Ballenden is bid on after 20 but before 25 you can match with 25 and draft with 30 (as opposed to taking him with 20 and drafting with 43)
If he is bid on after 25 and before 30 then you either match with 30, or if no bids then just take with 30 and you get to use 1, 12, 20, 25 freely (and not go into deficit).

So after my rain-man impression, I think my suggested trade could be to your advantage provided he goes after 20 (which is likely).
But regardless I'm sure Adrian Dodoro and David Noble dont give a stuff what I think haha

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
I suppose what I am saying is say you have 5 list spots... 1, 12, 18, 20, 43 are your picks You can just take Ballenden at 20 and be done with it..

Or you can take 1, 12, 20, 25, 30 as your picks.
If Ballenden is bid on after 12 and before 20 you match and get 25 and 30 to draft freely (with no trade it is 20 and 43 you get to use after)
If Ballenden is bid on after 20 but before 25 you can match with 25 and draft with 30 (as opposed to taking him with 20 and drafting with 43)
If he is bid on after 25 and before 30 then you either match with 30, or if no bids then just take with 30 and you get to use 1, 12, 20, 25 freely (and not go into deficit).

So after my rain-man impression, I think my suggested trade could be to your advantage provided he goes after 20 (which is likely).
But regardless I'm sure Adrian Dodoro and David Noble dont give a stuff what I think haha
Our need is for quality midfielders, ideally 2 from the top ten, plus Ballenden. We're unlikely to take 5 picks to the draft, which is the problem with your scenario and you're not offering to move our picks forward but back. If we can trade in Weller or Cameron, then we might only have 3 live picks. We don't have enough list spots available to suit your scenario.

lions27

Club Legend
May 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would have thought trying to pry a contracted Weller from Freo would be near on impossible.

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would we give up 1 & 12 for Weller & 5. I don't know much about the points but adding Weller and another midfielder (Brayshaw???) at 5 would immediately add to our depth in the middle of the ground.

Freo would probably be more keen on the first pick if there was a WA product likely to go there.

Would we give up 1 & 12 for Weller & 5. I don't know much about the points but adding Weller and another midfielder (Brayshaw???) at 5 would immediately add to our depth in the middle of the ground.

Freo would probably be more keen on the first pick if there was a WA product likely to go there.

We get slaughtered in that deal. Weller is worth pick 12 so it is essentially doing pick 1 for 5.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would we give up 1 & 12 for Weller & 5. I don't know much about the points but adding Weller and another midfielder (Brayshaw???) at 5 would immediately add to our depth.

What?!?!?!?!?!

He's not that good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back