News 2017 Trade News Compendium

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton to meet with restricted free agent Tom Rockliff on Tuesday, Port Adelaide keen on restricted free agent (Jake Niall, Fox Sports, 25/09)

CARLTON will meet with free agent Tom Rockliff on Tuesday as the Brisbane midfielder weighs up his choice of at least three clubs.

Rockliff will meet Carlton officials and possibly senior players in a clear sign of the Blues’ intent. Carlton is also expected to conduct a physical on Rockliff.

While there has been speculation that a hefty Carlton contract for Rockliff would see the Lions handed Pick 2 in the national draft, there is next to no chance of Brisbane receiving compensation that valuable.

The Blues are understood to be well aware that handing Rockliff a huge contract would push their Pick 3 down a spot. Many recruiters believe there is a clear top three in this year’s draft, with Luke Davies-Uniacke, Cam Rayner and Paddy Dow forming a probable top three.

But Carlton is not the only club with interest in the former Lions captain, with Port Adelaide having made Rockliff a major recruiting priority.

Brisbane, which had Rockliff on the trading block last year, has also made him an offer and would like to keep him after he had a greatly improved 2017 season.

Port Adelaide see Rockliff as a strong-bodied midfielder who can provide valuable support to Ollie Wines and Brad Ebert, with the Power feeling he would fit the side’s needs well. The club has identified a strong body in the midfield as an area of need.

The demand for Rockliff is a complete reversal of last year’s exchange period, when he struggled to attract interest and there were major question marks on his behaviour as captain.

The Lions have spoken positively of Rockliff’s improved attitude and commitment this year under new coach Chris Fagan after he relinquished the captaincy, handing it over to Dayne Beams.

Rockliff is recovering from shoulder surgery and became a father a fortnight ago to baby Jack.

Brisbane Lion Tom Rockliff meets Carlton (Michael Gleeson, The Age, 26/09)

Brisbane free agent Tom Rockliff met Carlton officials on Tuesday and will meet Port Adelaide later this week as he weighs up whether to leave the Lions.

Rockliff has had a medical at Carlton and is likely to have a medical with Port when he meets them.

Brisbane are keen to re-sign the midfielder after his relationship with the club recovered this year with the arrival of coach Chris Fagan and his move out of the captaincy.

Carlton's interest in Rockliff is strong regardless of what happens with champion midfielder Bryce Gibbs, who is contracted to the Blues for next year and has said he is happy to remain at the club - a position he repeated publicly at the Brownlow on Monday night.

Editing for clarity by Zo (apologies Mav):

Tigers Football Boss Provides Schache, Stringer Update (Luke Sicari, SEN, 27/09)

Richmond General Manager of Football Talent Dan Richardson says the Tigers have lowered their interest in Brisbane youngster Josh Schache.

The Lions re-signed the 20-year-old until the end of 2019 earlier this year, but that hasn’t stopped speculation surrounding his future. Lacking a fellow tall forward to assist Jack Riewoldt, Richmond have been linked to Schache throughout the season, but Richardson believes the club will approach the offseason with a different mindset.

“I don’t think so,” he said on SEN Breakfast, when asked if Schache would be a player the Tigers would potentially talk to.

“I think our focus this year will be predominantly to retain. We have two first round picks, and we have an opportunity, hopefully, with a father-son prospect in Patrick Naish.

“There are a few balls in the air there in terms of what we do. I’d imagine at this point, we are pretty comfortable retaining our picks in this year’s draft.”

Richmond hold picks 15 and 16 in the upcoming national draft, and it is expected Brisbane would demand at least one of those selections in any exchange involving Schache.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saints Show Little To No Interest In Star Pair (SEN, 27/09)

St Kilda CEO Matt Finnis has all but ruled out the club chasing Bulldog forward Jake Stringer and former Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff.

As speculation mounts as to the destinations of the star pair, the Saints boss said the club had yet to speak to either player directly and was anything but effusive when asked if there was interest.

“We certainly haven’t met with either of those two players,” he told SEN’s The Run Home.

“I wouldn’t say it (the interest) was any higher than any other player we’ve identified would fit the need and profile of players we are looking to bring in.”

Stringer is reportedly weighing up between Essendon and Geelong while Rockliff has been linked to Carlton and Port Adelaide.

AFL trade period 2017: Geelong’s Steven Motlop meets with Port Adelaide (Jake Niall, Fox Sports, 27/09)

While Port Adelaide has an interest in Motlop who is a restricted free agent and has been very well paid by the Cats relative to his output, the Power’s position is complicated by its pursuit of another free agent, Tom Rockliff.

Port is meeting with Rockliff on Thursday, as the former Brisbane captain weighs up offers from Carlton, Port and the Lions who have been impressed with Rockliff’s improved attitude in 2017.

Lions interested in luring Luke Hodge (Josie Fielding, lions.com.au, 27/09)

The Brisbane Lions can confirm discussions have taken place between the Club and Luke Hodge’s manager Paul Connors.

General Manager of Football, David Noble, said the Club was interested in discussing the matter further with Hodge.

“We are keen to explore the possibility of Luke playing for our Club with his manager in the coming days. Luke’s ability to assist with developing and nurturing our emerging group as an additional on field leader would be a great help to us,” Noble said.

The Club will be making no further comment at this time.

Sam Edmund (Sammy): Luke Hodge deal at Brisbane as good as done. Two years. Reunites with Chris Fagan. Full story coming soon on Superfooty

Luke Hodge says he’s in discussions with Brisbane Lions to again play AFL (Sam Landsberger, Sam Edmund, Herald Sun, 27/09)

LUKE Hodge is set to play on at Brisbane Lions with the Hawthorn legend set to sign a two-year contract at the Gabba.

Hodge, 33, will reunite with Lions coach and long-time Hawks football boss Chris Fagan.

The four-time premiership star and dual Norm Smith Medallist will follow Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis in ending their distinguished careers outside of Waverley.

Hodge was always passionate about playing on in 2018, despite retiring after 305 games at the Hawks.

He has held multiple discussions with Fagan and has also informed Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson of his expected move north.

“He (Chris Fagan) knew I was still passionate about playing footy,” Hodge told Channel 7.

“But I guess the main thing is we’ve got to make a decision about what’s best for the family as well. There’s still a lot of water to go under the bridge. I’ve obviously got to speak to Loz (wife Lauren), family and see what’s the best for us.

“I guess it's a discussion we’re not going to rush into. We’ve had a couple of chats with ‘Fages’ ... and I think both parties are interested.”

“We are keen to explore the possibility of Luke playing for our club with his manager (Paul Connors) in the coming days,” Brisbane head of football David Noble said last night.

“Luke’s ability to assist with developing and nurturing our emerging group as an additional on field leader would be a great help to us.”

The Lions hope Hodge’s near certain arrival will deliver a raft of on and off-field benefits, perhaps even enhancing their push for more games shown on free-to-air television.

Hodge said he hadn’t given thought to lining up in a different jumper, but was eager to learn if he wanted to move closer to a coaching role later in his career.

“The discussion (has) happened pretty quickly, so I haven’t had that much time to think about it (playing for another club).

“But I’ve given that much to the Hawthorn footy club.

“I think the reason why I’m probably contemplating this is the joy I had last year playing with the younger guys and helping develop them.

“(Playing again would) probably (be) another stage of my development, if I do want to coach a little bit more.

“Fages has said there’s probably more responsibility ... doing it without going full-time into it.

“So I guess it’s a learning curve for me, seeing if it’s something I need to pursue.”

Hodge has not played at the Gabba since Round 5, 2008.

Rising Star nominees Ryan Burton and Blake Hardwick told the Herald Sun that Hodge’s leadership had rapidly accelerated their development in the backline this season.

The emerging Hawks were told when Hodge retired to soak up all the knowledge they could from Hodge before his Round 23 farewell match.

Luke Hodge will need to be traded to or drafted by Brisbane Lions, expected to play less than full season in 2018 (Jake Niall, Fox Sports, 28/09)

LUKE Hodge will need to cross to the Brisbane Lions via either a trade or one of the drafts and is expected to play less than a full season in 2018.

But Hawthorn will not stand in Hodge’s way if, as expected, he commits to playing for Brisbane next year and potentially in 2019.

Hodge is expected to join the Lions through either a trade — and it will involve none of the angst that surrounds Gary Ablett’s passage to Geelong — or the pre-season draft (PSD), in which the Lions have the first pick.

He cannot be picked up by Brisbane as a delisted free agent and will have to undergo the formality of a trade or use the PSD because, as the AFL confirmed on Thursday, Hodge has already officially retired.

The Lions’ expectation is that Hodge, 33, would play less than a whole season, perhaps 15-16 games, in 2018 with the option of playing again — or coaching — in 2019.

It also emerged on Thursday that Hodge’s wife Lauren was a major driver of the champion’s interest in the family living in Queensland and joining the Lions, who have discussed a two-year contract with Hodge and expect him to be playing for them next year.

Brisbane’s coach Chris Fagan, however, was the instigator of Hodge’s interest in playing for the Lions, the pair having worked closely together at Hawthorn for nine seasons.

The AFL said Hodge would have to join the Lions via either a trade or the draft(s), because he had officially retired, even though he is without a contract for next year. The AFL introduced a rule to prevent players from retiring and then being picked up cheaply after Brisbane’s Mal Michael retired and then almost immediately joined Essendon via the pre-season draft.

The news that Hodge would likely join Brisbane — almost exactly a month after he played his final game in brown and gold — did not shock the Hawks, whose coach Alastair Clarkson and senior football figures had been in conversations with the retired club legend well before he revealed his plans on Channel Seven, which had been in discussions with Hodge about a commentary role for 2018 and might still sign Hodge for next year.

The Hawks, however, are understood to have asked Hodge whether he had considered seeking to play on for them once the prospect of him joining the Lions was raised.

Hawthorn, though, has indicated that it will not stand in Hodge’s way, the club having informed the champion and four-time premiership hero that this year would be a good time to retire.

Brisbane and Hawthorn both recognised that the Lions, as a very young team on the bottom, stood to gain more from Hodge as a player — and particularly from his leadership and teaching skills.

The expected signing of Hodge has boosted morale at the Lions, whose captain Dayne Beams is understood to be excited by the prospect of being tutored by one of the game’s most decorated captains and leaders.

As Hodge told Channel Seven, he had enjoyed teaching and helping youngsters at Hawthorn, leading him to reconsider retiring.

GWS departure gate opens as trio request trades (Daniel Cherny, The Age, 28/09)

Port have also been firmly in the mix to land free agents Tom Rockliff (Brisbane Lions) and Steven Motlop (Geelong), while fringe Power forward Aaron Young is understood to have been in talks with Gold Coast about a move to the Suns, who are set to lose Brandon Matera to the Dockers.

Port free agent Jackson Trengove is expected to joint the Western Bulldogs, who appear likely to lose Jake Stringer to Essendon, but have been pursuing Fremantle's Hayden Crozier.

Rockliff is yet to to declare his hand for 2018, having also been courted by Carlton.

Pies circle speedy defender Saad
Brisbane will also be active in the post season. Former skipper Tom Rockliff is increasingly likely to join Port Adelaide although Carlton remains an option and may be prepared to offer a four year deal.

The Lions expect Luke Hodge to accept an offer to play at the Gabba next year and believe Crows forward Charlie Cameron will announce his desire to head North after Saturday’s Grand Final.

The Crows have said Cameron is a required player however Brisbane will be armed with a healthy selection of draft picks that might help strike a deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Lions remain optimistic they can lure Crows speedster Charlie Cameron to the club (Andrew Hamilton, Courier Mail/news.com.au, 01/10)

BRISBANE is optimistic it can lure Crows speedster Charlie Cameron to the Gabba.

The 23-year-old is expected to declare his intentions for 2018 next week and the Lions’ understanding is he will ask the Crows to be traded to Brisbane to be nearer to family.

The Lions will also start tracking the progress of Cameron’s younger brother Jarrod, 17, who showed great promise as an underage player for Western Australia in the national under 18s carnival and has been tipped by coach Peter Sumich to be a high draft pick next year.

Cameron, who has a year to run on his contract, was one of Adelaide’s better players in Saturday’s shock grand final smashing by Richmond.

The Lions have kept their distance while Cameron prepared for the biggest game of his life.

And they are prepared to cool their heels for another week to allow the emotion of the grand final defeat to subside.

There was a hostile reaction to comments coach Chris Fagan made during the season about his interest in Cameron.

There is a feeling within the Lions that the result may make it harder to convince the Crows to let Cameron go but believe if he is adamant he wants to be near family a deal can be struck. He was born in Mount Isa.

Cameron was non-committal about his plans when interviewed on the eve of the grand final but did say his bond with Eddie Betts made his decision difficult.

“He has been amazing to me and has really helped my transition to AFL footy,’’ he said.

“It would be weird if I left, but I haven’t really thought about that.’’

Trade period preview: Who will your club target and shop around? (Nick Bowen, AFL.com.au, 01/10)

Whispers: The Lions are striving to convince Hawthorn great Luke Hodge to come out of retirement and play on at the Gabba. If the Lions' surprise bid is successful – and there's a growing sense it will be – the dual North Smith medallist will cost them a lowly draft pick at most. The Lions' primary target, Crows speedster Charlie Cameron, won't come anywhere near as cheaply. Given he's contracted until the end of next season, the Crows will drive a hard bargain and could target the Lions' second-round pick, No.18, or any compensation pick they receive if former skipper Tom Rockliff departs the Gabba via free agency. Rockliff is being courted by Carlton and Port Adelaide, and is expected to attract a salary in the $600,000 range that should net the Lions an end-of-first-round or second-round compensation selection. Despite re-signing with the Lions in June, Josh Schache remains a strong chance of being traded home to Victoria, with the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood linked to 2015's No.2 draft pick. Fellow key forward Michael Close remains out of contract and could attract rival interest late in the trade period.

Interview with David Noble on Trade Radio (02/10) - https://omny.fm/shows/trade-radio/david-noble-on-nab-afl-trade-radio-2

Tweets relating to the interview:

David Noble on Luke Hodge: "It might be a number of games over a two-year period for Luke."

.@kanecornes: "Are you confident Luke Hodge will be at the club next year?" Noble: "Yeah, we are!"

Noble: "Our strategy generically is that we need to build our midfield. The priority for us is the inside mids." #NABTradeRadio

Noble: "There was an offer on the table for Rockliff. He told us he wants to explore his options." #NABTradeRadio

.@MatthewLloyd18 : "So it sounds like Rockliff is on the move." Noble: "Yeah I think that's the intent at this point" #NABTradeRadio

Continuing tweets from David Noble's interview on Trade Radio (02/10):

Noble: "We still conform to you trade for needs and draft for you talent." #NABTradeRadio

Noble on Josh @Schache23 : "We certainly heard the external chatter that you guys have." #NABTradeRadio

Giant rumours on opening day of AFL silly season (Jai Bednall, news.com.au, 02/10)

Elsewhere, Brisbane football boss David Noble appeared on AFL Trade Radio this morning and confirmed two key moves the Lions plan to make.

Hawthorn champion Luke Hodge is on the way but prolific midfielder Tom Rockliff is on the way out.

Asked by former Power midfielder Kane Cornes if he was confident Hodge — who announced his retirement earlier this season — would be at the club next year, Noble said: “Yeah, we are.”

But Rockliff and the Lions appear ready to part ways.

“There was an offer on the table for Rockliff. He told us he wants to explore his options,” Noble said.

Noble indicated Adelaide star Charlie Cameron is not a priority for the trade period.

Rumours have persisted contracted forward Cameron is keen to return to Queensland while Lions coach Chris Fagan has previously expressed interest in the 23-year-old.

But Noble said Rockliff’s pending departure would force the Lions to focus on replenishing their midfield stocks in the off-season ahead of adding livewire Cameron.

Noble would not reveal the Lions’ level of interest in Cameron given he’s contracted for 2018, except to say their recruitment strategy was focused elsewhere.

“I think we’ll just have to get through trade period and we’ll wait and see what happens with that one,” Noble said of Cameron’s availability. “Generically, our strategy is that we’ve got to build our midfield depth more so.

“Rockliff’s in that free agency window. We need to add some more support in there for Beams (and) Berry, McLuggage, Mathieson sort of coming through.

“I think for us the priority is more the inside mids, then potentially going back to the draft and building a strong, robust midfield.”

Brisbane Lions confident of Luke Hodge deal; Jack Watts to explore options (The Age, 02/10) [More detailed story coming out of the Noble interview]

The Brisbane Lions are confident of sorting out a deal with retired Hawthorn champion Luke Hodge by the end of the week.

The Lions' general manager of football David Noble was optimistic on Monday that an agreement would be reached within days.

What shape that would take was still to be decided, with Noble "not sure that Luke's sold completely on coaching at this point in time".

"I think from the playing side, he's pretty keen in his discussion with Fages [Lions coach Chris Fagan] ... he believes he's still got a bit in the tank," Noble said of Hodge.

"It might be a number of games over a two-year period for Luke ... We think the majority of it is in really good shape, it's just ticking off the last couple of things."

But the likely arrival of Hodge is set to coincide with the probable departure of restricted free agent Tom Rockliff, who has already met with Carlton and Port Adelaide.

"There was an offer on the table for Rockliff. He told us he wants to explore his options," Noble said. "I think that's the intent [to leave the Lions] at this point."

The Lions will also have discussions with Josh Schache's manager, Dave Trotter, as speculation over his future continues to swirl. Schache is currently on leave, and while he signed a two-year contract in the middle of the season, the Lions were keen to talk to him because of the "external chatter'.

Noble said the young forward had been worn out and "cooked" this year.

"We did feel there were times this year where he was just physically exhausted from the loads carried over the first couple of years," Noble said. "We'll go back and have a chat to Dave Trotter sand see where all this banter and chatter and innuendo is from."

Adelaide's Charlie Cameron, who has a year left on his deal with the Crows, has been linked as a possible target for the Lions. "That will all play out over the next few weeks. Obviously contracted players are still at a club and that's really delicate," Noble said.

Noble said the Lions' main strategy was to build their midfield depth, with a particular focus on stronger-bodied, experienced inside midfielders, over the next two trade periods.

"Over the next two trade periods we probably want to bring in three, four, five midfielders to address that," he said.

Trade wrap: Free agent Rockliff ready to roll (Nick Bowen, AFL.com.au, 02/10)

THE BRISBANE Lions expect former captain Tom Rockliff to head for the exit when the NAB AFL Free Agency Period opens on Friday.

"I think that's the intent at this point in time," Lions football manager David Noble told NAB AFL Trade Radio on Monday.

"We had an offer on the table, he wanted to explore (other options) and we haven't really heard different from then."

Barring an eleventh-hour bid by another club, Rockliff will be at Port Adelaide or Carlton next season.

Some rival list managers believe the midfielder would prefer to move home to Melbourne, which would put the Blues in the box seat. However, others believe Port remains firmly in the mix

What happens next?

- The free agency offer Rockliff eventually tables is likely to be worth up to $700,000 a season

- That should net the Lions an end-of-first round pick compensation pick, at No.18 overall

Even if the Lions received a second-round compensation, their wooden-spoon finish means this pick would almost certainly fall at No.19. Either way, they'll be left with both No.18 and No.19.

Rockliff's plans to be revealed soon: Swann (SEN, 03/10)

Former Brisbane skipper Tom Rockliff is expected to make a call on his future at some stage this week, with Lions preparing his he departure.

Rockliff is a restricted free-agent, meaning that Brisbane has the ability to match any rival bid, however Lions’ chief Greg Swann says that it would be unlikely that the club would head down that path should the 27-year-old opt to leave.

“My understanding is that Tom said to ‘Fages’ that he’d explore his options and they (Rockliff’s management) told us last week that they are meeting with the Power and Carlton,” Swann said on SEN’s Hungry For Sport.

“We’ve had an offer on the take for a while so we probably expect to hear something later this week.”

Swann said that the Lions would expect an end-of-first-round compensation pick if Rockliff does depart the club.

Adelaide speedster Charlie Cameron has long been linked with a move to Queensland for family reasons, but Swann said that there is a bit to play out still due to the 23-year-old being under contract with the Crows.

“If Charlie decides that he’s coming, we’ll try and get him,” he said.

“What that looks like is Adelaide’s call because he’s a contracted player. So they hold the aces.”

Swann also hosed down speculation that young forward Josh Schache and veteran ruckman Stefan Martin may depart the club.

“I don’t think anybody had come to us with a deal for Josh,” Swann said.

“At this stage we don’t think there is anything to worry about there. He signed in the middle of the year, got back in, fell off a little bit later in the piece, but it was a pretty big year for him.”

“Stef Martin’s always staying. That was just an enquiry.”

Lions group 'over the moon' with looming Hodge arrival (SEN, 03/10)

Brisbane chief executive Greg Swann has confirmed that Hawthorn champion Luke Hodge is set to join the Lions on a two-year deal.

Hodge announced his retirement at the end of the season, but will head north to re-unite with Brisbane coach Chris Fagan.

Swann told SEN’s Hungry For Sport that the Lions playing group will benefit greatly from Hodge’s on-field leadership and experience.

“He’s such a competitor, Hodgey. He loves the idea of playing and that’s terrific for us as well, but from our point of view, we see him as a fantastic on-field coach,” he said.

“We don’t expect him to play every week – we’ll look after him in that sphere.

“Our playing group – Dayne Beams as the captain – they’re just over the moon that he’s coming.

“From the club’s point of view, it’s just a great get for us because he’s an icon of the game, he’s got a terrific footy brain, he’s a super competitor and I just think for the young blokes that are going to be playing with him, they’ll walk a lot taller.”

Swann said that hearing Hodge when he was mic’d up on Channel 7 late in the season was the point that the Lions realized they needed a player of his ilk and the wheels were set in motion to see if he would have a change of heart.

“When he announced that he was going to retire, Chris thought that he didn’t really want to retire because he just loves the battle – he loves playing,” he said.

“So we kept chipping away at him and after a bit of a break he decided that he thought he did have a bit left and fortunately for us, he chose us to come and play with.”

Bye bye Rocky. (Edited by mod)

Tom Rockliff set to join Port Adelaide as free agent, knocks back offer from Carlton (Jake Niall, Fox Sports, 03/10)

BRISBANE ex-captain and free agent Tom Rockliff is set to join Port Adelaide for the 2018 AFL season.

It is understood that Rockliff has told Carlton of his preference to play with the Power next season.

Brisbane is not expected to match the Power’s offer for the restricted free agent.

The Blues had made a big play for Rockliff, with Chris Judd and Stephen Kernahan joining coach Brendon Bolton in a meeting with the Lion last week in a bid to lure him to Princes Park.

But Rockliff has opted to join Port in a great coup for the Power, with coach Ken Hinkley stating that his side needed more strength in the midfield to support Travis Boak, Ollie Wines and Brad Ebert.

Rockliff was on the trade table at the end of last season but didn’t receive much interest from rival clubs.

It also led to Rockliff being stood down as Brisbane captain and replaced by Dayne Beams ahead of the 2017 season.

But the midfielder's vastly improved output in 2017 — he averaged 24 disposals and ranked first for stoppage clearances per game — saw him become the subject of fierce competition between Blues and Power.

Rockliff is expected to fetch the Lions either an end of first round or second round pick, which is effectively the same selection given the Lions’ second round selection comes in at Pick 18.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trade wrap: Let the Lever games begin (Nick Bowen, AFL.com.au, 03/10)

In what is becoming something of a trade period tradition, No.1 draft pick custodians, the Brisbane Lions, say the coveted selection is up for grabs at the right price.

"For us, it's never say never," CEO Greg Swann told NAB AFL Trade Radio on Tuesday.

"We are very happy to keep pick one, but if a really good deal came along you'd have to look at it."

Keep in mind

- Countless clubs have suggested they're prepared to trade the No.1 pick, including Essendon last year, St Kilda in 2014 and Greater Western Sydney in 2013, but it almost never happens.

- The last No.1 pick to swap hands was in 2001, when Freo packaged it with picks No.20 and No.36 to nab Trent Croad and Luke McPharlin from Hawthorn. The Hawks selected Luke Hodge at No.1, Daniel Elstone at No.20 and Sam Mitchell at No.36.

- Despite McPharlin's stellar career with Freo, the Dockers clearly lost this deal, no doubt dissuading other clubs from following their lead.
Meanwhile: 2015's No.2 pick Josh Schache has no plans to leave the Lions, according to his manager Dave Trotter.

Schache rumours 'external noise', says manager (Marc McGowan, AFL.com.au, 03/10)

YOUNG forward Josh Schache struggled with the intense speculation about his playing future, but plans to be at the Brisbane Lions next year, his manager says.

Schache signed a two-year extension in June to remain at the Lions before his decision to skip the NEAFL Grand Final and return to Victoria again ignited discussion about him potentially leaving.

But Schache's manager, David Trotter, of McDonald Sports, told NAB AFL Trade Radio on Tuesday his conversations with the 20-year-old all pointed to him fulfilling his contract.

All the latest trade and free agency news

Trotter suggested the only change to that would be from the Lions, rather than his player, who is on a holiday with his Seymour-based family.

"I heard 'Nobes' (Lions general manager of football David Noble) on your program earlier this week saying he'd heard a lot of external noise," Trotter said.

"From my point of view, that's all it is as well. There was a lot of fascination around Josh earlier in the year and it still seems to be happening, but my last conversation with Josh … was nothing around leaving.

"It was plans for his off-season and heading back up to Brisbane, so that's all I can judge it off."

Schache kicked only nine goals from 10 AFL games in 2017, down from 17 and 16 in his first season at AFL level. He requested a premature end to his season because of fatigue, something the Lions granted.

Trotter's theory was his client was still dealing with "a bit of carryover" from taking on a big role in his debut campaign.

"(That) has sort of gone unrecognised, but the club was really good in saying that his numbers were down at the end of year and he was pretty fatigued," Trotter said.

"So they wrapped him up, like they did the end of last year, and finished his season a bit early.

"I think (there is) a bit of frustration when you read some of the articles and things, but that's just part of footy these days and the players have to deal with it."

Trotter said Schache was a person who puts "a lot of pressure on himself", but cares deeply about the club, his teammates, friends and family – and what they think of him.

"If you look back (at) the history of the gun key forwards at the moment, there are not too many who come in and dominate the competition in their first couple of years," he said.

"So I do think we've got to be a little bit patient with these young key talls, because history says they do take a bit of time.

"I have no doubt Josh will have a big off-season, a big pre-season, and start to put together some pretty good footy."

Trotter also confirmed Greater Western Sydney midfielder Matt Kennedy had requested a trade to Carlton for greater opportunity.

Another Lion, Hugh McCluggage, the No.3 pick in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft, will discuss his future with Trotter after the exchange period, with the likelihood of him extending his Queensland stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back