List Mgmt. 2017 Trade Period - Done and dusted for 2017. Thank you SOS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Lobbe wasn't a salary dump, he was just a player we got for a junk pick because his club wanted to dump his salary. That's your argument, and it's based on the fact that SOS went to the US where a salary dump is a club giving another club a draft pick plus a player whose salary they want to dump? Aren't we talking shades of grey here?

And not sure what the Phillips extension comment is related to. Delisted Korchek and Gorringe, why wouldn't we give Phillips an extension?

You’re the only one not calling this a “salary cap dump”.

Good post.

I'm a little sceptical on Lang because he didn't want to come to us last year which in turn yielded Smedts for Tuohy. But he's chosen us now so happy to back him in to be a good footballer for us.

Kennedy will give Cripps a hand with the grunt work for the next 10 years.

Despite reports of this year being a shallow draft, the top 10 are still high quality and we've now got 2 picks in that range. So glad we pulled the trigger on Gibbs and we got overs for him.

Can't wait for the draft now!

Go and watch his game against Swans in the semi final.

Then remember he cost pick 58 and cross your fingers can play like that on a consistent basis.

AND they rated Pies as 5/10 - seriously? 1 less than Blues? At the very least getting 2 x first round picks for Gibbs is rated as 'overs' by most. that has to be worth more than 1 more point against a mob who made only one trade ("win: Backline speed") - WTF?? Idiots!
Lol, they gave Richmond 7/10. They did nothing but a minor pick shuffle.

SOS must draft the best midfielders available with Pick 3 and Pick 10.

Team for next season:

B: Plowman-----------Marcbank----------Byrne

H: Docherty-----------Weitering---------Simpson

C: Lang----------------Cripps-------------SPS

H: Thomas-------------McKay-----------C.Curnow

F: Pickett--------------Casboult----------Wright

R: Kreuzer, Kennedy, Murphy

Bench: Jones, E.Curnow, Pick 3, Silvagni

Emerg: Williamson, Lobbe, Pick 10, Cunningham, Boekhorst, Fisher
not many times over the last decade has the name "Gibbs" been missing from the team sheet

You’ve actually just made my point.

SOS should have stared down Port - knowing that if they didn’t exchange a more favourable pick to us they would have had to pay him out.
Maybe there's a bit of goodwill going on, bit like Hawthorn last year. Build good relationships get better outcomes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Feel free to hit nick Bowen hard on twitter. It's what he deserves. I'm sick of media bagging out the club for no backlash. It's stops here.

Everyone needs to get stuck in.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nick_Bowen

How do you go from doing Arts/Law to being a reporter at the AFL? Also what did he do for the 12 years between them?

arts.jpg

Maybe there's a bit of goodwill going on, bit like Hawthorn last year. Build good relationships get better outcomes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
This, as much as the media and the fans will portray him as the ultimate tight ass poker player, I would bet every club loves dealing with him, he gets things done with no fuss... unless you're Adelaide

Sign up Charlie longer term, front load his contract a bit. Front load the other kids a bit. Lots of things that can be done, then use money next year for a free agent.

SOS had an awesome trade period and we are well on top but I would much rather Spencer on minimum salary than Lobbe on $500K for two years as our 2nd/3rd string ruckman. I’m hoping we get confirmation that Pt are paying some of his salary.
There is no way we are paying Lobbe's full contract.

We might not like it but the loss of Gibbs hurts us. Time will tell how much.
If we finish last or bottom 2 next year, don't be surprised if this particular trade is dubbed the 'legal tank'.

Sign up Charlie longer term, front load his contract a bit. Front load the other kids a bit. Lots of things that can be done, then use money next year for a free agent.

SOS had an awesome trade period and we are well on top but I would much rather Spencer on minimum salary than Lobbe on $500K for two years as our 2nd/3rd string ruckman. I’m hoping we get confirmation that Pt are paying some of his salary.

Really?

Charlie is already signed up til the end of 2019. So is McKay. SPS til 2021.

Padding out those contracts does nothing to improve our list. At all. They'll get appropriate pay rises on their next contracts provided they perform.

We just smashed trade week, and there are people getting angsty because we got a 28yo back up ruck, who has previously been a number one AFL level ruck, on a two year contract worth less than what Motlop and Rockliff are on, and it cost us pick 90-odd.

Baffling.

AFL.com already trying to change the Carlton narrative. According to them we had the 4th worst trade period equal with Hawthorn and only ahead of St.Kilda, North and Collingwood. :drunk:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-19/trade-period-analysis-how-did-your-club-fare

That those peanuts can rate Pies 5/10 and Blues 6/10 makes me realise how stupid/ignorant/uninformed (choose your adjective!!) some of these supposed journalists really are.....

Mind boggling that someone actually pays them to write that garbage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go and watch his game against Swans in the semi final.

Then remember he cost pick 58 and cross your fingers can play like that on a consistent basis.

Well that's right, he certainly is capable. Just a matter of consistency. If Bolton can't bring the best out of him then I doubt anyone can.

Last edited:
The additional $500,000 per year that we could have used for Rockliff,

Except that Rockliffe wants to play finals after being in a bottom team for most of his career.

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story........"

You’re the only one not calling this a “salary cap dump”.

You've lost the plot. Everyone else, including me, is calling it a salary cap dump, while you're claiming if it was a salary cap dump we should have got an extra pick back in the deal too - "because that's how they do it in the US".

I'm happy with the Lobbe trade. I think it fills an obvious need and costs us nothing but salary space that we have excess of anyway.

Kreuzer, Lobbe and Phillips is a much better set up than Kreuzer, Phillips, Gorringe and Korchek.

Well that's it then...we've squeezed every bit of goodness out of every asset we have. Yarran, Bell, Menzel, Henderson, Tuohy, Gibbs. We cannae gi' anymore.

In vehicular parlance, we're brought it back to bare metal, scoured the Trading Post for most of the parts (save a key piece or two we still need, but we know a bloke who knows a bloke) and it's time to start putting her back together.

Should be about an 24 month project I reckon. Gonna be a sweet ride when it's finished.
Be nice to pick up a V8 in Lynch and Turbo in Shiel and then turn the key....

So, we have delisted 4 off the main list and traded Gibbs out. So 5 out whilst bringing 3 players in, I am guessing we will be taking 3 picks in the main draft so that would mean we only have one more player to delist.

Is that correct?
3 seems the obvious choice but why did we bother trading Adelaide pick 77 for pick 73 if neither of us intend to use them.

Perhaps a f/s selection? Liam Hickmott? Which would mean 2 more delistings

3 seems the obvious choice but why did we bother trading Adelaide pick 77 for pick 73 if neither of us intend to use them.

Perhaps a f/s selection? Liam Hickmott? Which would mean 2 more delistings

But if we pick up a delisted free agent?

Dunno but am sure we are a long way away from the teams that lost trade week

Unless you ask Nick Bowen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back