Prediction 2017 Trade rumour accuracy thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If true then marty36 will need us to give up 2 first rounders plus Doedee as punishment for not taking him the first time ;)

There are players who have value and some that don't you tell me what other clubs like Collingwood or stkilda would give up for burton and what they would give up for Doedee and trying bing honest

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

huludicidal

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
We won't be getting an A grade mid

I agree it's unlikely. However I believe that the club rates Gibbs as A-Grade. See where I'm going with this?

I hope it doesn't become a choice between McGovern and Gibbs, but it might.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree it's unlikely. However I believe that the club rates Gibbs as A-Grade. See where I'm going with this?

I hope it doesn't become a choice between McGovern and Gibbs, but it might.

A choice between McGovern and Gibbs isn't even a choice. You keep the Gov.

I don't think it's actually our choice to make anyway - McGovern will decide if he wants to go, in which case he goes, or he wants to stay in which case we'll keep him. It's not like we're going to say "sorry, Gov, we love you but we really want to bring in Bryce Gibbs, so pack your bags". Whether Gibbs comes across or not, it'll be independent of whatever happens with Gov.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can I join in?.........Thanks in advance.
Generally speaking, the common sense rumours become the common sense outcomes.

Hopper to Carlton.
Kelly to North.
Gibbs to Adelaide.
Fyfe to the Saints.

I can't see the Gibbs trade happening unless SOS has had some kind of dramatic awakening. Last year he wanted 2 first round picks when the 1 on the table was clearly fair value. With another year on the clock, his value will have dropped to probably a 2nd round pick plus a fringe player or later pick swap, but SOS will still be wanting a first. Hell, if he's really deluded he might still demand 2 firsts.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
A choice between McGovern and Gibbs isn't even a choice. You keep the Gov.

I don't think it's actually our choice to make anyway - McGovern will decide if he wants to go, in which case he goes, or he wants to stay in which case we'll keep him. It's not like we're going to say "sorry, Gov, we love you but we really want to bring in Bryce Gibbs, so pack your bags". Whether Gibbs comes across or not, it'll be independent of whatever happens with Gov.
Exactly - he'd already be at Carlton and Gibbs would be a crow if that was the case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Reliable poster on our board suggests the Gibbs merry-go-round is going to happen again.

He's been 100 percent with his mail over a long period. Way too accurate to be making it up.

At least this time the clubs have had a whole year to nut something out!

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Reliable poster on our board suggests the Gibbs merry-go-round is going to happen again.

He's been 100 percent with his mail over a long period. Way too accurate to be making it up.

At least this time the clubs have had a whole year to nut something out!

It will go around again but don't be surprised if it not how people think. Carlton will need some cap space in the next 2 years and they plan to bring in a million dollar man, so $ will have an impact on the trade. and yes I understand the salary cap increase, but I also understand that out of 2mill increase bottom rung players are getting are reasonable increase due to ALPA, by upping the bottom level payment. Playing list increase to 44 increasing rookie payments.(ie $70K to $170K) Add that to Carlton planning to bring a big name AND a mid-priced player doesn't leave much in the kitty.
My tip 2 x 2nd or a 2nd and 3rd round pick, and the Crows taking on the salary.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
It will go around again but don't be surprised if it not how people think. Carlton will need some cap space in the next 2 years and they plan to bring in a million dollar man, so $ will have an impact on the trade.and yes I understand the salary cap increase, but I also understand that out of 2mill increase bottom rung players are getting are reasonable increase due to ALPA, by upping the bottom level payment. Playing list increase to 44 increasing rookie payments.(ie $70K to $170K) Add that to Carlton planning to bring a big name AND a mid-priced player doesn't leave much in the kitty.

Ironically, we have money out the wazoo and will struggle to his the 95 percent cap minimum even frontloading contrats. We have enough money that we extended Cripps and Weiterings deals for years to like 2020 on frontloaded contracts.

Thomas has taken a massive paycut freeing us from his huge contract, Gibbs contract was heavily frontloaded (which fed into why we were relutant to let him go last year) and he's likely leaving this year in any event, Simpson will retire this year or next (and I will be devastated), Kruezer is on way 'unders' in his contract for a ruckman of his talent, Casboult signed for like 250k last year.

Who are we paying? Murphy and Docherty maybe?

We are signing the kids on extended contracts, and saving a ridiculous warchest for free agency in 2018/19/20.

On the positive, if Gibbs does get released from his contract this year and is traded to you blokes (and its looking pretty close to 100 percent it happens) we can easily pay his salary for him while he's there (saving you blokes space if your cap is tight) in exchange for a better trade deal coming back our way.

My tip 2 x 2nd or a 2nd and 3rd round pick, and the Crows taking on the salary.

Dude, its not happening for a couple of late 2nd round picks or a 2nd and 3rd. I dont want to get into this whole shemozzle again, but in no world is Bryce Gibbs worth a 2nd and 3rd round pick. We keep him if thats the offer, and you guys can come knocking at the end of next year when he is a F/A. We'll then take the F/A Compo (likely a Band 2/ end of 1st round pick at pick 19, or Band 3/ a pick after our 2018 2nd round pick at pick 22) coming back our way, depending on your salary offer, and retain Gibbs for all of next year to protect the kids.

It likely goes down with McGovern leaving to go back to West Coast getting you their 1st. You blokes then forward one of your 2 first rounders (a pick in the 14-18 range) to us for Gibbs (plus some swapping of later picks if we pay Gibbs salary leaving you blokes with cap space for a F/A or trade) and then you blokes get Gibbs, maybe a F/A and use your other 1st round pick at the draft.

If you disagree thats fine, but its been hashed out ad nauseum in the 'Gibbs to Adelaide' thread and I dont really want to go over it again or turn this thread into a repeat - lets just agree to disagree?

The point is that Im hearing strong jungle drums that the Gibbs thing is going to repeat itself all over again, and he is going to again seek a trade to you guys this year in a few months.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Ironically, we have money out the wazoo and will struggle to his the 95 percent cap minimum even frontloading contrats. We have enough money that we extended Cripps and Weiterings deals for years to like 2020 on frontloaded contracts.

Thomas has taken a massive paycut freeing us from his huge contract, Gibbs contract was heavily frontloaded (which fed into why we were relutant to let him go last year) and he's likely leaving this year in any event, Simpson will retire this year or next (and I will be devastated), Kruezer is on way 'unders' in his contract for a ruckman of his talent, Casboult signed for like 250k last year.

Who are we paying? Murphy and Docherty maybe?

We are signing the kids on extended contracts, and saving a ridiculous warchest for free agency in 2018/19/20.

On the positive, if Gibbs does get released from his contract this year and is traded to you blokes (and its looking pretty close to 100 percent it happens) we can easily pay his salary for him while he's there (saving you blokes space if your cap is tight) in exchange for a better trade deal coming back our way.

Dude, its not happening for a couple of late 2nd round picks or a 2nd and 3rd. I dont want to get into this whole shemozzle again, but in no world is Bryce Gibbs worth a 2nd and 3rd round pick. We keep him if thats the offer, and you guys can come knocking at the end of next year when he is a F/A. We'll then take the F/A Compo (likely a Band 2/ end of 1st round pick at pick 19, or Band 3/ a pick after our 2018 2nd round pick at pick 22) coming back our way, depending on your salary offer, and retain Gibbs for all of next year to protect the kids.

It likely goes down with McGovern leaving to go back to West Coast getting you their 1st. You blokes then forward one of your 2 first rounders (a pick in the 14-18 range) to us for Gibbs (plus some swapping of later picks if we pay Gibbs salary leaving you blokes with cap space for a F/A or trade) and then you blokes get Gibbs, maybe a F/A and use your other 1st round pick at the draft.

If you disagree thats fine, but its been hashed out ad nauseum in the 'Gibbs to Adelaide' thread and I dont really want to go over it again or turn this thread into a repeat - lets just agree to disagree?

The point is that Im hearing strong jungle drums that the Gibbs thing is going to repeat itself all over again, and he is going to again seek a trade to you guys this year in a few months.

I guess we will find out who more accurate at the end of the year.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
That would be the trade off for letting him go for a 3rd or 4th round.

I wonder if Geelong could afford Ablett's salary. They would be paying big bucks to Danger, Selwood and Hawkins. Not sure if Motlop is out of contract this year, but people are saying as much as $600k. Maybe the 20% increase would get it done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back