List Mgmt. 2017 - Trading and Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2018 2nd?
This is my gut feel. To be honest, our 2018 2nd could end up being pick ~22 in the "super draft".

I don't see how Adelaide are getting a first rounder. He just doesn't have the output. On current form he is Jeremy Howe like output (ie great hands, speccies and around ~1.2 gpg when forward) and he only got the Dees 32 and 68 I think.

For the record, I really wanted us to sign Howe just for the hangers. Would have paid 32 + 68 even before knowing he is a gun intercept defender.

Wouldn't want to give up anymore than that now and hope we pass if Adelaide won't budge. Don't think the eagles would offer much more either (if at all - he is hardly a need for them, they need a midfield not medium forwards).

Would get a 1st if he was contracted.

Or not. I would be offering our 3rd, and if they want Sutcliffe, ok. I can't see WC offering more. Crows will ask for Cox, especially if they look like losing Lever, and they will hold that offer until the last minutes of trading.
Yeah we really need to play this one cool if he indeed wants to come home. Medium forwards are not a priority so hopefully we do a Kersten on them (but not as severe).

For the record, I don't think a 3rd and Sutcliffe gets it done but we can dream.

Gold Coast have a heap of second rounders this year, with not much academy talent this year. Could probably swap a future if we wanted. But we'll have Carter coming through - so we should either look for an additional future second rounder to use on him, or just accept that we use 3rd & 4th round to get him.

How long do we continue the future 2nd round swapsies though? Fingers crossed one of Sheridan, Suban, Collins, or someone can nab us a late second or third round pick.

Gold Coast have a heap of second rounders this year, with not much academy talent this year. Could probably swap a future if we wanted. But we'll have Carter coming through - so we should either look for an additional future second rounder to use on him, or just accept that we use 3rd & 4th round to get him.

How long do we continue the future 2nd round swapsies though? Fingers crossed one of Sheridan, Suban, Collins, or someone can nab us a late second or third round pick.
Theoretically forever as long as someone is always willing to do it and why wouldn't they? Usually end up swapping a 30s pick for a 20s. No brainer if you don't need the pick in the current year.

Yeah we really need to play this one cool if he indeed wants to come home. Medium forwards are not a priority so hopefully we do a Kersten on them (but not as severe).

For the record, I don't think a 3rd and Sutcliffe gets it done but we can dream.
I am not saying that it's a good deal for the crows, or his actual trade value. But I wouldn't trade our future second. He is not a required player for us. Just an upgrade.

Last edited:
Or not. I would be offering our 3rd, and if they want Sutcliffe, ok. I can't see WC offering more. Crows will ask for Cox, especially if they look like losing Lever, and they will hold that offer until the last minutes of trading.
You could be right. Be interesting to see how hard ball we play. He is worth a second

I am not saying that I should a good deal for the crows, or his actual trade value. But I wouldn't trade our future second. He is not a required player for us. Just an upgrade.
Recruiters always value "proven" talent over picks. I think we would give up a second for him even if it means we get a 3rd or 4th back.

I don't want us to trade our 2018 2nd, I just think we will if MGov is on the table. I would prefer to low ball and risk not getting him myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do I have this gut feeling everyone is Hoping Collingwood is Stupid enough to take Suban as a Free Agent on a 4 year deal just like Mayne?

We then get pick 23 again to trade for McGovern
It's west coast in my fantasy

Why do I have this gut feeling everyone is Hoping Collingwood is Stupid enough to take Suban as a Free Agent on a 4 year deal just like Mayne?

I'd say because optimism (or potentially delusion) has overtaken our psyches.

Would not be completely surprised to see someone take him on a lower wage, but not enough to get us more than a 3rd or 4th.

The Mayne situation was one of the biggest Heists our club has managed. I still can't fathom how he managed 4 years. He'll be delisted end of 2018 and be laughing all the way the bank. Mind you we gave FA Sylvia 3 years.

No chance Collingwood will repeat the mistake. I think there will be a lot more caution on these free agents. Last year Wells (3-years), Mayne (4-years) and Vickery (3-years) don't look good at all. There have been plenty of other duds. The big attraction of the free hit is not as good as it once was and it costs a lot. That might change if they lower the age eligibility.

Suban is a chance to get picked up but would not get more than 2 years and a salary that would at best net us an end of third round pick. I think that is as low as it gets before you get nada.

I won't be disappointed getting Mitch giving up next year second rd . If the goal is to make it to final 2019. Next year second rd pick will spend time most of the time with peel in 2019 anywhere .

It's west coast in my fantasy

Would not be completely surprised to see someone take him on a lower wage, but not enough to get us more than a 3rd or 4th.
The Mayne situation was one of the biggest Heists our club has managed. I still can't fathom how he managed 4 years. He'll be delisted end of 2018 and be laughing all the way the bank. Mind you we gave FA Sylvia 3 years.

No chance Collingwood will repeat the mistake. I think there will be a lot more caution on these free agents. Last year Wells (3-years), Mayne (4-years) and Vickery (3-years) don't look good at all. There have been plenty of other duds. The big attraction of the free hit is not as good as it once was and it costs a lot. That might change if they lower the age eligibility.

Suban is a chance to get picked up but would not get more than 2 years and a salary that would at best net us an end of third round pick. I think that is as low as it gets before you get nada.
I won't be disappointed getting Mitch giving up next year second rd . If the goal is to make it to final 2019. Next year second rd pick will spend time most of the time with peel in 2019 anywhere .

I just peaked at the crows board.....

Bit of a shock on what I am going to say next. They are keen on Darcy Tucker because he is From Horsham. One has suggested Tucker and our 1st rounder for McGovern

Bit of a shock on what I am going to say next. They are keen on Darcy Tucker because he is From Horsham. One has suggested Tucker and our 1st rounder for McGovern
They can dream :rolleyes:, I like Mitch but pick 5 + Darcy tucker .
Is like losing 1st rd and 2nd rd for him . No deal , he can go to eagles.

Last edited:

How does the compo work. Think you can get one of six options;
1) first round
2) end of 1st
3) 2nd
4) end of 2nd
5) 3rd
6) nothing

With the new CBA, could we potentially see a higher contract offered to a free agent and artificially inflate the compo?
E.g. Say Suban would have gone for $300-400k pre CBA, but now goes for $360-480k, could we get a better compo or is it based on a percentage of the TPP?

Posters suggest all sorts of stuff. I am sure they would be interested in our first pick, and there could be some discussion involving it. More something along the lines of McGovern and their 2018 first. They would be keen on Fogarty I would think.

Posters suggest all sorts of stuff. I am sure they would be interested in our first pick, and there could be some discussion involving it. More something along the lines of McGovern and their 2018 first. They would be keen on Fogarty I would think.
I rather we draft fogarty intead

Forget deluded opposition supporters. There are plenty of our own.

I believe and haven't changed my view from the beginning that his fair range is around pick 26-32 (give or take).

I'd prefer to keep Tucker but he alone would be around that mark. To get something of value the club would need to give up something Adelaide would value. 2018 2nd pick is another option around that mark or we somehow get a pick in the low 30's. Another option say Balic and our pick 40 for a pick in the early 30's and another 4th rounder for us to use.

What needs to happen regardless is that we hang onto our pick 4-6 and keep sticky fingers right away.

It still costs nothing other than salary cap space, which isn't that much of an issue for most clubs. The only time it might be worth reconsidering is if you are set to lose a free agent of your own, and by picking up a free agent you'd lose that compensation pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back