List Mgmt. 2017 - Trading and Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many top 10 pick Adelaide had ? Tex walker is the only father and son pick in their best 22 right now .

How many top 10 pick Adelaide had ? Tex walker is the only father and son pick in their best 22 right now .
Tex was a NSW scholarship player.
Brad Crouch was a u17 bid from GWS (After Hogan I think)

I do not think they have had any other top 10 picks. If they have, it would only be 1. Laird was a very late pick.

Lynch and Jenkins were done for late trades. Sloane was pick 40 or latter, M Croach was pick 20ish.

Their drafting and trading has been brilliant.

FYI - All this is based on memory, it is roughly correct but I could be a bit off.

Ballenden does make it harder for that trade to pan out. I also think he will get bid on before 18 seeing as he is pick and play round 1 IMO. Knowing how GWS made the academy bidding system work for them with stockpiling late picks, maybe Brisbane would do the same. I doubt they would want to use a 1st on him if they can avoid it.

Their next pick after 18 is 43 so they would have to use that and change to get Ballenden but that probably suits them better because theyre not using a high pick on him (as long as they have the value to match). By doing the trade with us, the pick 18 they would most likely use for Ballenden comes to us, they get a live pick 5 (no one would bid on him before 5) and then they can use bulk picks later and claim him that way.

I'm just spitballing and may not have the facts correct, but I definitely think we can work something out that's mutually beneficial between us and Brisbane.
That is what makes it possible. Much better for them.

My problem with the trade is it is borderline valuable for us. If their first pick was 10, maybe.

Plenty of other clubs have won flags without needing the advantages GWS got.

Perhaps Ross Lyon should spend more time thinking about why his teams can't kick 10 goals.
Whilst I agree Ross should stop whinging because there is nothing he can do about it, it is also fair to say that the only club that has had to compete with GWS' 30 first round picks to win a flag was the Dogs last year. GWS were nothing before that.

We will see in the coming years if the doomsday prophecies are true. I personally don't think they will be with Leon in charge.

Tex was a NSW scholarship player.
Brad Crouch was a u17 bid from GWS (After Hogan I think)

I do not think they have had any other top 10 picks. If they have, it would only be 1. Laird was a very late pick.

Lynch and Jenkins were done for late trades. Sloane was pick 40 or latter, M Croach was pick 20ish.

Their drafting and trading has been brilliant.

FYI - All this is based on memory, it is roughly correct but I could be a bit off.
Adelaide's recruiting is some of the best no doubt. Especially when you consider the talent they lost.

Danger was pick #10, Phil Davis was pick #10, Talia #13, Brodie Smith #14, Brad Crouch and Luke Brown were for pick #10, Lever #14.

Yes, they lost a couple of high picks but there was value back for those, the value of the initial pick didn't evaporate.
Then freo is even worse , wasting draft pick on dessy , drum,tarrant those kind of players . If you do a bad trade you can't blame on anybody . If you can't develop your draft pick good enough to resell as top 20 pick value is not other club fault but your own .

Then freo is even worse , wasting draft pick on dessy , drum,tarrant those kind of players . If you do a bad trade you can't blame on anybody . If you can't develop your draft pick good enough to resell as top 20 pick value is not other club fault but your own .
We have been ok for the last 10 years or so. Sure we have plenty of busts but all clubs do. What hurt us were the unpredictable things like injuries ruining Mora and Pitt.

Simpson was a bit of a hail mary too, but would have been awesome if we pulled it off. It just looks bad in retrospect because of the other 1st round failures. If Mora was still on the list, Simpson would be easier to take I think. Losing both of them is hard though and then you add Pitt in and it is a bit of a train wreck.

As long as we get the next couple right, I think we will have a strong list.

We are talking about current players...

We are talking about current players...
Did freo lost fyfe,Neale or Walters ?
If freo did ,freo will get first rd pick like Adelaide in return also .
Adelaide take risk or believe in who they take eg Hugh greenwood . Every club in AfL go through a phase of bottom in different year is how you do with it .

We have been ok for the last 10 years or so. Sure we have plenty of busts but all clubs do. What hurt us were the unpredictable things like injuries ruining Mora and Pitt.

Simpson was a bit of a hail mary too, but would have been awesome if we pulled it off. It just looks bad in retrospect because of the other 1st round failures. If Mora was still on the list, Simpson would be easier to take I think. Losing both of them is hard though and then you add Pitt in and it is a bit of a train wreck.

As long as we get the next couple right, I think we will have a strong list.

Apeness is likely to be a bust too due to injuries, and Sheridan couldn't really considered best 22 at this point, which makes it 5 of our last 8 first picks who are either no longer on our list or not in our best 22.

We have made up for that a fair bit by scoring some massive bargains through low picks and rookie draft, but imagine how much better our list would be without 5 wasted first picks!

Redoing the 5 first picks we stuffed up:

2009: (Morabito) Daniel Talia
2010: (Pitt) Jack Darling
2011: (Sheridan) Elliot Yeo
2012: (Simpson) Brodie Grundy
2013: (Apeness) Rory Lobb

Last edited:
Apeness is likely to be a bust too due to injuries, and Sheridan couldn't really considered best 22 at this point, which makes it 5 of our last 8 first picks who are either no longer on our list or not in our best 22.
Ape another unlucky one and probably a reach due to our lack of KPFs. Sherro is a compromised draft. Effectively pick 24 or whatever. He isn't terrible either, he just hasn't quite maintained a decent level that he is clearly capable of. Still time for him to get it right.

Honestly though, it is probably about average recruiting. Certainly not the worst and probably not the best.

We have made up for that a fair bit by scoring some massive bargains through low picks and rookie draft, but imagine how much better our list would be without 5 wasted first picks!

If drafting was an exact science we wouldn't have Fyfe, Pav & a bunch of others. It's educated guess work at best.

Ape another unlucky one and probably a reach due to our lack of KPFs. Sherro is a compromised draft. Effectively pick 24 or whatever. He isn't terrible either, he just hasn't quite maintained a decent level that he is clearly capable of. Still time for him to get it right.

Honestly though, it is probably about average recruiting. Certainly not the worst and probably not the best.
If freo pick hamling and yeo instead of sheriden and croz I will be very happy .
Hamling,yeo learning from Johnson ,Elvis , mundy and fyfe .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of other clubs have won flags without needing the advantages GWS got.

Perhaps Ross Lyon should spend more time thinking about why his teams can't kick 10 goals.
Give Freo the crows current forward line in Tex, Jenkins and Betts I will assure you freo will kick more then 10 goals a game

If drafting was an exact science we wouldn't have Fyfe, Pav & a bunch of others. It's educated guess work at best.

Obviously, but I guess the point is that you don't really need the advantages GWS got if you nail every draft pick like Adelaide did in the same period where we stuffed every pick.

Give Freo the crows current forward line in Tex, Jenkins and Betts I will assure you freo will kick more then 10 goals a game

In the 5 drafts I went through above our policy of "best available" instead of what we actually needed which was "best tall available" cost us dearly. The 4 smalls we took didn't amount to much. The talls we could have taken afterwards all went on to be elite.

Redoing the 5 first picks we stuffed up:

Actually in 2011 you could argue we could of got Brald Hill or Hamling as well.

In 2012, I wish we took Ben Brown in the Rookie List or take him instead of tanner smith

Actually in 2011 you could argue we could of got Brald Hill or Hamling as well.

In 2012, I wish we took Ben Brown in the Rookie List or take him instead of tanner smith

Yeah there are plenty of options obviously, I just chose the next one in the list who was good for simplicity.

The most successful trade and getting better value from freo list recently got to be MadDocker mayne ,pick at 40 by freo , compensated at pick 20 something .

Yeah there are plenty of options obviously, I just chose the next one in the list who was good for simplicity.
I agree. As I said, I wish we took Ben Brown when we had the chance. Our forward line would be much better

As for Hamling, He spent 3 years in Geelong, Played no games. Bulldogs snapped him up only played 20 odd games but he won a flag with the dogs. Now he is in our 22 at Freo.

I don't mind getting Hamling types with our late picks either. They are not elite but at least they stand their ground and do a solid job

Out of all those though I still think the Darling pick was the biggest screw up. Not only was Darling exactly what we needed at the time, but the reasons for him sliding were sketchy at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back