List Mgmt. 2017 - Trading and Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreoBraddles

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Post up your proposed forward line containing bot Ballantyne and Matera. Not saying that you are wrong, in fact you are probably right. I just don't see the strategy.

Retain Ballas on a small contract for discipline, leadership and team standards plus depth.

Ross was asked about him in a press conference late in the season and mentioned that Ballas brings all those things.

Hopefully only plays a handful of games, unless due to injury or improved form.

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
So how does our forward line look adding Fasolo and Matera into the mix?

What happens with the Hodor and sandi situation?

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely we would rather put the time into Cox rather than Tabs. Cox showed more in 5 games than Tabs did in 5 years.

If we pick up brander surely you would like to see the development put into him over Tabs

Just can't see where he fits tbh.
Tabs has shown more in his last 5 games than his past 5 years. Our KPF stocks are non existent so surely he'd be better to retain as well as recuit other KPF's.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely we would rather put the time into Cox rather than Tabs. Cox showed more in 5 games than Tabs did in 5 years.

Literally what.

I'm glad Cox got games and experience this year - but I'm sorry - he has only showed a good pair of hands among bad kicking, leg speed and decision making so far. Taberner showed in a handful of games what our structure was deprived of all year that both Kersten and McCarthy failed to provide all year.

If anything they both should be developed to work together. Cox > Apeness and Kersten.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle

If we pick up brander surely you would like to see the development put into him over Tabs

Just can't see where he fits tbh.
Lets not put anymore time into one of the best contested marks in the AFL? Yep, that makes so much sense. Continue bashing our best forward, I must of missed the games where our forwards have dominated without him.

Kenny_01

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Literally what.

I'm glad Cox got games and experience this year - but I'm sorry - he has only showed a good pair of hands among bad kicking, leg speed and decision making so far. Taberner showed in a handful of games what our structure was deprived of all year that both Kersten and McCarthy failed to provide all year.

If anything they both should be developed to work together. Cox > Apeness and Kersten.

You are completely wrong on Cox. He knows how to find the ball. He knows when to lead back, do double leads, etc. He has a natural instinct that others don't. Our forwards always struggle to win high possessions but I think Cox nearly got double digit possessions in every game he played in which speaks volumes for a 19yr KPF. And who can forget that kick into the corridor v Geelong.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
You are completely wrong on Cox. He knows how to find the ball. He knows when to lead back, do double leads, etc. He has a natural instinct that others don't. Our forwards always struggle to win high possessions but I think Cox nearly got double digit possessions in every game he played in which speaks volumes for a 19yr KPF. And who can forget that kick into the corridor v Geelong.

You say I'm completely wrong but then you mention an aspect of his game in reading that I didn't comment on. His kicking and use of the ball is garbage as of right now - same with comparing 10 games to 5 seasons. Fact.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very similar stats for Brandon Matera and Alex Fasolo. Except Fasolo is 181cm and Matera 175cm tall.

Alex Fasolo (total games: 100;133 goals; D.O.B is 08.06.1992)
Games: 19 (2017), 12 (2016)
Goals: 29.29 (2017), 25.6 (2016)
Disposals: 13.5 (2017), 14.3 (2016)
Marks: 5.5 (2017), 3.7 (2016)
Tackles: 2.0 (2017), 3.0 (2016)
Disposal Efficiency: 69% (2017), 78% (2016)

Brandon Matera (total games: 101;124 goals; D.O.B is 11.03.1992)
Games: 10 (2017), 17 (2016)
Goals: 22.12 (2017), 24.15 (2016)
Disposals: 16.9 (2017), 14.4 (2016)
Marks: 4.6 (2017), 3.5 (2016)
Tackles: 2.2 (2017), 2.0 (2016)
Disposal Efficiency: 72% (2017), 65% (2016)

Matera is coming off the better year but spent a big portion injured. Fasolo had some mental health issues which may have affected his output in 2017 but otherwise had a good 12 games in 2016 and the better form in 2016. Interestingly Fasolo was dead eye dick with his goal kicking in 2016.

I say if we can pull off some player swaps like Sutcliffe for Matera than it might be worth adding both to the list. Sutcliffe is the same age 23.05.1992 (25 years) and like the others has played 100 games so a swap seems fair. Sutcliffe has never been able to tidy up his disposal for us so a change a scenery might suit him best as well.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would be happy with both, though being a contracted player and from Collingwood, I get the feeling Collingwood will ask for a top 30 pick. Much prefer Fasolo to play for us than the slime.

Kenny_01

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
You say I'm completely wrong but then you mention an aspect of his game in reading that I didn't comment on. His kicking and use of the ball is garbage as of right now - same with comparing 10 games to 5 seasons. Fact.

You mentioned decision making. I completely disagree on that point. And I actually think his field kick has improved a lot; his kicking for goal obviously needs some work.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
You mentioned decision making. I completely disagree on that point. And I actually think his field kick has improved a lot; his kicking for goal obviously needs some work.
I think Tabs and Cox could make a good pairing. Allows McCarthy to be a genuine 3rd tall. Hopefully Cox works on his goal kicking over the off-season. If he fixes that I think he could be a very good forward. What he showed in his first 10 games was very promising IMO.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I think Tabs and Cox could make a good pairing. Allows McCarthy to be a genuine 3rd tall. Hopefully Cox works on his goal kicking over the off-season. If he fixes that I think he could be a very good forward. What he showed in his first 10 games was very promising IMO.
It worked during the last round against Essendon. Tabs was allowed to play his role down the wing, gets marks. Cox came in as a surprise and took some grabs. Can see that combo working, instead of Kersten/McCarthy which really gave us a loss every time it came to marking contest.

Oct 25, 2002
Roleystone
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tabs plays the key forward role but will never be enough to stand with the key forwards of the day.

McCarthy, Kersten etc play the second fiddle roles and may one day be adequate second fiddles.

Let's look at the key forwards; Kennedy, Lynch, Riewoldt, Riewoldt/McCartin, Brown, Hawkins, Franklin, Patton, Hogan, Daniher, Waker, Dixon, Boyd, Roughhead. Tabener. Spot the odd one out. Its not his fault and we aren't blaming him but he won't be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back