List Mgmt. 2017 - Trading and Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a supporter group, we all get randy marsh over this idea, but consider these points:

1) A mate just went to Bali last week - said he saw Jesse Hogan with Max Gawn, Hannan and Wagner, so he hasn’t detached from the playing group if he is going to leave. May mean nothing or something.

2) If plans really were afoot to bring him back to Perth, why did we have pursue Mitch McGovern? McGovern did say somewhere that Freo made him a decent offer didn't he? From a TPP & list perspective, why / how could we do so if we ultimately had Hogan in our sights?

3) Brad Lloyd's interview yesterday seemed to hint at a business as usual approach to the off-season - retain pick 5 for the draft & maybe a couple of non-blockbuster ex-WA trades. Sure, he's not going to 'telegraph' blockbuster trade intentions, but going on his past form, it's quite likely he is going to do exactly as he says.

4) If there was a sniff of truth about this, a proper big name AFL journo would break the story. They read these forums & know about the rumour. Maybe they've made enquiries & have found it's not true.

The only scenario would be if Hogan & his management requested a trade at the end of the season after Melbourne's last match, taking Freo & Melbourne by surprise - but how unlikely is that? & a journo would have caught wind of it.

It's best to quell these Randy marsh feelings - you'll only end up with blue balls again

This is the most apt and accurate way of conveying what I think. Good job.

And pick 5 is comparable to 2 1sts.

I don't disagree and am not really arguing the point, i'd be rather unhappy if we gave 5 + 2018 1st for him.
Thats just too much.

However if it were 5 + 2018 2nd (which is likely to be in the 19-25 range) i'd be comfortable with that.
In reality thats pretty darn close to 2 x 1sts.

If -- if -- we traded for Hogan, it wouldn't be triggered by Hogan wanting to come home. It will be all about Melbourne wanting Lever, and the Crows playing hardball, and Melbourne then deciding that giving up Hogan is a necessary price to pay.

We won't be "buying" Hogan. We will be "selling" the opportunity to get Lever.

In that scenario Hogan is worth whatever Melbourne need to satisfy Adelaide. So we won't necessarily pay overs. And it doesn't depend on Hogan initiating the deal by requesting the trade. Which is why it could all have come up suddenly in the post-season with no indication during the season (ie, why we went hard for McGovern).

What would make this really interesting is if the Wilson rumours are true and perhaps we already have some kind of agreement with GWS which would mean that #5 wouldn't be available in any Hogan deal. It would be bad luck to suddenly have the opportunity to get Hogan (because of Lever) but to have already traded away the value that we would bring to that deal. Or if (if) this was to happen would we backtrack on any GWS deal?

Pick 5 and Balic is not sufficient... it's Jesse Hogan for God's sake. One of the best young key power forwards in the game that is also contracted. Melbourne aren't going to take a s**t load of players that barely get games for us. Players like Balic etc are sweeteners.

Regardless he's not coming back to WA anyway. Just another Hogan rumour.
You're right, it's Jesse Hogan, and Jesse Hogan has some serious scale off field baggage, including suffering from cancer. You're a hard woman if you think death and cancer aren't going to impact a players trade value.

If it was any other player in the comp value wouldn't be an issue.

On GT-I9506 using BigFooty.com mobile app

As a supporter group, we all get randy marsh over this idea, but consider these points:

1) A mate just went to Bali last week - said he saw Jesse Hogan with Max Gawn, Hannan and Wagner, so he hasn’t detached from the playing group if he is going to leave. May mean nothing or something.

2) If plans really were afoot to bring him back to Perth, why did we have pursue Mitch McGovern? McGovern did say somewhere that Freo made him a decent offer didn't he? From a TPP & list perspective, why / how could we do so if we ultimately had Hogan in our sights?

3) Brad Lloyd's interview yesterday seemed to hint at a business as usual approach to the off-season - retain pick 5 for the draft & maybe a couple of non-blockbuster ex-WA trades. Sure, he's not going to 'telegraph' blockbuster trade intentions, but going on his past form, it's quite likely he is going to do exactly as he says.

4) If there was a sniff of truth about this, a proper big name AFL journo would break the story. They read these forums & know about the rumour. Maybe they've made enquiries & have found it's not true.

The only scenario would be if Hogan & his management requested a trade at the end of the season after Melbourne's last match, taking Freo & Melbourne by surprise - but how unlikely is that? & a journo would have caught wind of it.

It's best to quell these Randy marsh feelings - you'll only end up with blue balls again.

Reputable source confirms "Hogan seen at going away party with teammates".

More quasi news to follow.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look instead of chasing the 'great white hope' like we have been trying for years I think we should try the following:
Use Balic, Suban and Crozier to get back in the second round to get Oscar Allen (like kersten but better)
Trade 2017 pick 5 for a 2018 First rounder from one of the projected bottom teams
Use the two 2018 first rounders to make sure we get either Lipinski or one of the king boys

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Look instead of chasing the 'great white hope' like we have been trying for years I think we should try the following:
Use Balic, Suban and Crozier to get back in the second round to get Oscar Allen (like kersten but better)
Trade 2017 pick 5 for a 2018 First rounder from one of the projected bottom teams
Use the two 2018 first rounders to make sure we get either Lipinski or one of the king boys

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lukosius?

Pick 5 and Balic is not sufficient... it's Jesse Hogan for God's sake. One of the best young key power forwards in the game that is also contracted.

2 Knee injuries (not counting the 1 week off for bruising after colliding with a goal post), Back injury, Cancer.

He is not worth 2 x 1st round picks as the chance of playing a full career is unlikely - particularly for Freo as we already have so many burned first round picks leaving holes in our list.

Last edited:
Would take a menzel over pretty much half if not more than half our forward options. Our forwardline is a joke. The only likely types are Walters and tabener. Ballantyne is past his prime. Apeness is a injury prone tall forward. Kersten looks to be a C+ and mcarthy is way off in terms of touch. A medium like menzel would be great in terms of options we have none as a medium really.

If I knew my yes vote was going to bring a slight bit of happiness to Sharrod Wellingham I probably would have changed it

How Sharrod will "come out";

"I want to be a woman and play in the AFLW. From now on I want to be called Sharryn."

(with apologies to Monty Python)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back