List Mgmt. 2017 - Trading and Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little humour concerning the Balic discussions on Big footy: Pure fiction of course.....or is it?

Quite a few posters from Hawthorn, Mebourne, North Melboure and even Bulldogs downplaying Balic's value and saying they will get him for for a couple of feathers and a fart. Fremantle have little say in what they will get.

Fremantle posters, now officially in charge of all fremantle's trading for 2017 by my appointing them, often critical of crappy pics in the past and poor trading through giving up pic's and players of value to easily, argue that Balic is worth a bit more than that and thus a third rounder.... so three feathers and a fart.

Meanwhile, Balic's manager shakes his head at the Freo club for not realising the opportunity they have before them and that there interest to get the best pick or combination player & pick in return will greatly help his clients cause. His goal is to negotiate with the four clubs using Fremantle's valuation of their player, his client, to see what best deal he can get for his him. His client has instructed him that he seeks to be traded to one of those clubs. His preference is combined with best deal/contract for him.

Suddenly one of the Freo hierarchy feels the kick under the table from Harley's manager and his raising of the chin, sevral times..."up up".
So they respond and suggest one feather and a fart.....an early fourth 59. Harleys mangager chokes on his fruitcake at thispoint and gasps lower lower lower as he is belted on the back. One of the Freo hierarchy in the decision making, a natural blond haired you beauty woman (thought i'd throw that into the story) suddenly cottons onto (the fine cotton story) the saga. "Oh we should receive lower pick".

Thus due to that fine lady's call, hence on the certain day in and certain football trading month in the year 2017 Fremantle received pick 29 for one Harley Balic ........the end

A little humour concerning the Balic discussions on Big footy: Pure fiction of course.....or is it?

Quite a few posters from Hawthorn, Mebourne, North Melboure and even Bulldogs downplaying Balic's value and saying they will get him for for a couple of feathers and a fart. Fremantle have little say in what they will get.

Fremantle posters, now officially in charge of all fremantle's trading for 2017 by my appointing them, often critical of crappy pics in the past and poor trading through giving up pic's and players of value to easily, argue that Balic is worth a bit more than that and thus a third rounder.... so three feathers and a fart.

Meanwhile, Balic's manager shakes his head at the Freo club for not realising the opportunity they have before them and that there interest to get the best pick or combination player & pick in return will greatly help his clients cause. His goal is to negotiate with the four clubs using Fremantle's valuation of their player, his client, to see what best deal he can get for his him. His client has instructed him that he seeks to be traded to one of those clubs. His preference is combined with best deal/contract for him.

Suddenly one of the Freo hierarchy feels the kick under the table from Harley's manager and his raising of the chin, sevral times..."up up".
So they respond and suggest one feather and a fart.....an early fourth 59. Harleys mangager chokes on his fruitcake at thispoint and gasps lower lower lower as he is belted on the back. One of the Freo hierarchy in the decision making, a natural blond haired you beauty woman (thought i'd throw that into the story) suddenly cottons onto (the fine cotton story) the saga. "Oh we should receive lower pick".

Thus due to that fine lady's call, hence on the certain day in and certain football trading month in the year 2017 Fremantle received pick 29 for one Harley Balic ........the end
Balic will pick the club he wants to go to, they will bend us over.
3rd rounder is probably the best we can hope for or a player/pick swap.

Menzel would be a campaigner to leave Geelong after they stuck by him after 4 reco's. And we'd be stupid campaigners to sign up a player who'd had 4 reco's.

Both parties would be foolish to do a deal where said bloke with 4 reco's has to jump in a cramped plane for 8 hours return every fortnight. It's ridiculous.

Menzel would be a campaigner to leave Geelong after they stuck by him after 4 reco's. And we'd be stupid campaigners to sign up a player who'd had 4 reco's.

Both parties would be foolish to do a deal where said bloke with 4 reco's has to jump in a cramped plane for 8 hours return every fortnight. It's ridiculous.
They're (rumoured) offering him one year on less money. Not being a campaigner at all, he has to do the right thing for his life after football. How many games has he missed since hes come back from his knee? Isn't Fyfe one bad landing away from another broken leg, Bennell one sprint from another calf? I see his knee injuries as a poor excuse personally.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't want him, tbh. Doesn't offer much as compared to Grey/Crozier. He's pretty slow for someone of his height, and the efforts isn't great. Gamble, and he's no upgrade of what we have currently

They're (rumoured) offering him one year on less money. Not being a campaigner at all, he has to do the right thing for his life after football. How many games has he missed since hes come back from his knee? Isn't Fyfe one bad landing away from another broken leg, Bennell one sprint from another calf? I see his knee injuries as a poor excuse personally.

That isn't how bones work, I'll give you Bennell but why would we double down on injury risks for a slightly above average player on the edge of our age bracket in a rebuild? His knee injuries aren't a poor excuse, they're a time bomb

That isn't how bones work, I'll give you Bennell but why would we double down on injury risks for a slightly above average player on the edge of our age bracket in a rebuild? His knee injuries aren't a poor excuse, they're a time bomb
Because he's a very good player who would make our forward line look less pathetic. His knees aren't causing issues anymore, I see no reason why he won't play for the next few years. Menzel is much, much better than Crozier, Grey, Kersten and he should help McCarthy. Free agent (I think?) so would cost nothing other than a few dollars.

Because he's a very good player who would make our forward line look less pathetic. His knees aren't causing issues anymore, I see no reason why he won't play for the next few years. Menzel is much, much better than Crozier, Grey, Kersten and he should help McCarthy. Free agent (I think?) so would cost nothing other than a few dollars.

I agree. He has a much better history of actually kicking goals than some of our forwards. Sure he is no pressure demon, but not everyone in the forward line needs to do the same job. If Menzel was in our forward line you would still want the Greys of the world in the other pocket.

But only if he comes as a year by year proposition. And he doesn't cost us a decent compo pick for, say, Suban.

I disagree,

That's factually incorrect, he only runs in straight lines, can't stop quickly which often results in him bowling his own teammates over and can't chase defensively because of his knees.

I'm in no rush to make our forward line look less pathetic, short term pain is long term gain.

We don't need a few years we need 6+ out of our trades/FA.

He is a free agent and taking him would prevent us from receiving compensation from Suban's move to North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree,

That's factually incorrect, he only runs in straight lines, can't stop quickly which often results in him bowling his own teammates over and can't chase defensively because of his knees.

I'm in no rush to make our forward line look less pathetic, short term pain is long term gain.

We don't need a few years we need 6+ out of our trades/FA.

He is a free agent and taking him would prevent us from receiving compensation from Suban's move to North.

Your first paragraph is opinion based, not factual.

We can't just continue to get games into players who are either underachieving (Crozier) or won't make it (Grey). We can add a player who can kick goals an is ready to go while someone else develops with no rush.

Suban comment was quality though, lol.

Your first paragraph is opinion based, not factual.

We can't just continue to get games into players who are either underachieving (Crozier) or won't make it (Grey). We can add a player who can kick goals an is ready to go while someone else develops with no rush.

Suban comment was quality though, lol.

His ability is severely limited due to his knees, that isn't an opinion.
What is an opinion is that he was worst on ground tonight, it's an opinion shared with a lot of cats supporters in their trade thread.
They're happy to see him leave, they're also not a fan of his selfishness.

His ability is severely limited due to his knees, that isn't an opinion.
What is an opinion is that he was worst on ground tonight, it's an opinion shared with a lot of cats supporters in their trade thread.
They're happy to see him leave, they're also not a fan of his selfishness.
Severely limitied is most definitely an opinion. A forward worst on ground in a 10 goal loss isn't unusual. Why are we talking about one game though? Hawkins was equally s**t, yet cats fans love him. Using there fans isn't saying much, Selwood was useless for 2/3 games, bet they're not saying that.

His selfishness included attempting to mark the ball he was leading at when Lonergan decided to run off his man and back into it, taking a shot at goal while inside fifty and daring to stand under a ball to mark uncontested when Dangerfield was dragging his man into the contest forcing danger to spoil Menzels uncontested mark.

If he pulled out Lonergan would have been destroyed by Menzels opponent.

Geelong will look to blame anyone they can to avoid discussing how their midfield can't hit a barn door with a beachball.

I'm also in the "no to Menzel" camp.
In my opinion he is only notable for his gutsy recovery from his knee reconstructions.

Carlton is an excellent example. Alex J was pre-draft and salary cap era, when you could to WA and SA buy the likes of Hunter.

Carlton cheat the cap in the 90's and went out and tried to buy older players and then had the biggest fall of grace in VFL/AFL history.

They started to a young developing team together but then got impatience and got Judd. Judd pushed them into the 8 and making finals. They traded Kennedy for Judd. They couldn't go to the next level because they didn't have a key forward.

Then Judd got older and retired then they needed to start over again.

Now our history of topping up.

Neesham had pressure to make the finals and topped up with Fletcher and Bond giving away top draft picks and cap space. They only played a few years years and then we bottomed out.

Connelly traded heavily and turned the club in the short time but again we didn't have the team to make and win grand finals.

The next rebuild we started well and went youth. Harvey/Lyon just couldn't get to the next level with the inability to get a key forward to support Pavlich.

The eagles tried to top up this year and just didn't have the team to get in the top 4 and do damage. Next year, they could top up again and remain the 8 but that's where you stay.

Our list with a few top up can make the 8 but do no damage.

For me, the club needs to get draft picks or trade for WA Kids 23 under like Bolton.

No short cuts to success and top ups make you better in the short term but you start over again in the medium term. Then start again and it just keeps going.

Very well thought out post, loved it!

I totally agree that we should be focusing on the draft/young players and using the opportunity to turn the list over so we have the personnel to change the game style.

I understand why people are impatient for success but history shows that short cuts in list building rarely pay off.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back