List Mgmt. 2017 - Trading and Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say trading, who are you thinking of? I can't see any KPF on offer, certainly not that can picked up for our first round. Mind you I am struggling to see the KPF as well - it is either Forward / Ruck or another inbetween (191 - 194) height.
Good question and I don't know. Maybe Mitch McGovern but he's more your second/third tall, similar to Cam and Kersten. Dream would be for Jesse Hogan to request a trade home given his personal circumstances. I've had vocal support against this, but Sam Reid could also fit the bill has a restricted free agent. Not sure he'd want to come to WA though.

Good question and I don't know. Maybe Mitch McGovern but he's more your second/third tall, similar to Cam and Kersten. Dream would be for Jesse Hogan to request a trade home given his personal circumstances. I've had vocal support against this, but Sam Reid could also fit the bill has a restricted free agent. Not sure he'd want to come to WA though.
This is the problem that we have always had, and even when we have offered generous contracts
we still couldn't get them over the line.
Better to chase someone with a smaller profile, that benefits us, and may need a new change of
scenery or pay rise.
Eddie Betts deal was a huge win for Adelaide.
I have suggested someone,Jackson Trengrove from Port who is an unrestrictrd agent.

I wouldn't mind Schoenmakers. Has the occasional brain fart and is no star, but has talent. He has also seriously hamstrung his own career by continually committing to Hawthorn hoping he can force his way into the firsts. He would have played another 50+ games at a club in need of a KPF. One like, say... Freo.

If its about luring a Carlton forward via free agency, Casboult is unrestricted. As is Schoenmakers.
Casboult I'd consider if the price wasn't too much. Schoenmakers I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I'd rather place my faith in Apeness to get fit or Strndacia to pack on some muscle in the pre season and get some games into him.

Casboult I'd consider if the price wasn't too much. Schoenmakers I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I'd rather place my faith in Apeness to get fit or Strndacia to pack on some muscle in the pre season and get some games into him.
I also wonder if A Pearce could do Johnson's role with some part time rucking, things don't seem so grim with
him in the picture.
Pretty much the same if our small forwards are Bennell, Balic, available, its the unknown though.
I wouldn't want to put my house on the line for all three to be playing in purple next year.

So we need a key forward (>195cm).

Let's look at who's not getting games at GWS - could get a bargain trade if they're just gonna get cut anyway. I can't say I know much about these two players - so someone please chime in. Both out of contract this year. However, James Stewart hasn't exactly set the world on fire at essendon though, and he seemed like a good prospect last year.

Finlayson (196cm KPF or KPD)
Flynn (200cm fwd/ruck)

Otherwise a trade involving Collins to a Melbourne based team could work? (If he wants out - but maybe he doesn't).

Freo won't get anything during trade period from other club having player playing reserve football. Opposition will wait for the players to get delist by freo and get them in draft or rookie draft.

Let's look at who's not getting games at GWS - could get a bargain trade if they're just gonna get cut anyway. I can't say I know much about these two players - so someone please chime in. Both out of contract this year. However, James Stewart hasn't exactly set the world on fire at essendon though, and he seemed like a good prospect last year.

Flynn (200cm fwd/ruck)

Otherwise a trade involving Collins to a Melbourne based team could work? (If he wants out - but maybe he doesn't).
From their profiles on the Giants website they both had good seasons in the NEAFL last year (the Giants won the premiership) but they are both from their Academy and are NSW boys. Would be hard to entice them over here but worth a shot. Neither has played a game yet, Finlayson has been on their list for two years prior to this year and Flynn one year.

Flynn (200cm fwd/ruck)

I understand Rory Lobb signed a two year extension last year. Maybe if they win a premiership this season we could trade our first round pick for him. Frees up some cap space for them to retain Kelly, Hopper et. al. and we fill that forward/ruck position with another young WA boy (wishful thinking on my part).

I understand Rory Lobb signed a two year extension last year. Maybe if they win a premiership this season we could trade our first round pick for him. Frees up some cap space for them to retain Kelly, Hopper et. al. and we fill that forward/ruck position with another young WA boy (wishful thinking on my part).
And we could relieve Sydney of Buddy's salary too. Just not gonna happen haha.

I think our best bet is going to the draft and hoping Apeness or Strnadica come good. Losing hope on Taberner, but there's still a very faint pulse with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flynn (200cm fwd/ruck)

Wouldn't think GWS would trade a ruckman tbh. Mumford is 31 this year, Simpson is nothing more than a back up/last resort (similar to Griffin) and Downie has just retired. Unless they plan to use Lobb in the ruck down the track I can't see them entertaining a trade for a contracted ruck. Also if they are useful for us why wouldn't they be useful for them after Mumford retires?

Pretty sure both re-signed this year although I'd think Finlayson is a touch more likely.

When you say trading, who are you thinking of? I can't see any KPF on offer, certainly not that can picked up for our first round. Mind you I am struggling to see the KPF as well - it is either Forward / Ruck or another inbetween (191 - 194) height.
How about Ruck/fwd Rhys Stanley? I think he's out of contract end of 2017 & not getting much opportunity at Geelong.

What kind of pick you willing to give up for him ?

I believe they gave up pick 21 to get him.

He has barely played thus far in 2017 and i have heard he has some connection to Ross, i'd have thought an early 3rd (late 2nd) would be suffice.

I genuinely think he would be absolutely perfect for us.

I believe they gave up pick 21 to get him.

He has barely played thus far in 2017 and i have heard he has some connection to Ross, i'd have thought an early 3rd (late 2nd) would be suffice.

I genuinely think he would be absolutely perfect for us.
At 28 next year and not playing much I don't think he worth that much , maybe around the region of pick 64 like kerstern. I expected Sean Darcy will slot into best 22 weather Sandi in the side or not .

I wonder if we could take McEvoy from Hawthorn for a similar pick or maybe a straight swap for Balic if hw wants to go back to Vic.

Flynn (200cm fwd/ruck)

Sydney absolutely thumped GWS in the NEAFL the other day with Mzungu one of two bests for GWS but do not assume the GWS talent pool is as good as it has been before.

Instead of trade in why don't freo structure their forward line like recent Melbourne without Jesse ? Surely a rebuild is more than trading player in .

I wonder if we could take McEvoy from Hawthorn for a similar pick or maybe a straight swap for Balic if hw wants to go back to Vic.

McEvoy is getting too old and was never quick. If we are going for another option to be backup for Darcy/211 I think it should be a very mobile ruckman type. Some clubs like the doggies seem to be willing to sacrifice the ruck taps just for the sake of that around the ground flexibility.

At 28 next year and not playing much I don't think he worth that much , maybe around the region of pick 64 like kerstern. I expected Sean Darcy will slot into best 22 weather Sandi in the side or not .

I didn't realise he was that old, was thinking more around the 25 mark.

I remember a rumour last trade period that he was on Fremantles radar. They probably had too many trade priorities in the end to go near Rhys Stanley. I think from memory he had some connection to Perth aside from previously playing under RTB (girlfriend/ wife perhaps?).

Rosco will probably entertain a few of these more mature aged needs for 2018. He will need to get more wins in 2018.

I think Stanley would fit need as ruck relief/ forward. His value will depend on his form to end this season. He is back in the Geelong side tonight.

I would say a 3rd rounder or swap for Balic would be around the mark. If he sucks dog balls for the remainder of the year or is out injured then 4th rounder will probably do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back