List Mgmt. 2017 - Trading and Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
K
By the same logic, recruiting bench warmers allows our good players to spend more time on field, right?

I love it when people suggest we should recruit HBF, moreso when that's probably the only position where we have any depth.
If the Bombers get a Key Forward that allows Hooker to play his nature position is illogical?

Depth not quality. We wouldn't have any defender in the top 20 defenders in the league. Alot of our defenders would not be selected in the top 6 or so teams.

Our ball movement form the defensive is horrible.

Last edited:
By the same logic, recruiting bench warmers allows our good players to spend more time on field, right?

I love it when people suggest we should recruit HBF, moreso when that's probably the only position where we have any depth.

Not buying.

We have "depth" because that's where we stick players that we can't really fit anywhere else even though they're actually mids or whatever.

Sutcliffe was a mid.
Spurr was a utility who played everywhere.
Weller was a mid.

Tucker was an actual half-back flanker in junior.
Ibbo definitely is, although we can all acknowledge he's cooked.
Luke Ryan absolutely is.
Nyhuis isn't really the massive rebounding type and is a rookie list prospect.

We probably should put Crozier there, but that doesn't really scream depth to me. Especially when it's the run and the footskills part that's been killing us.

Depth not quality. We wouldn't have any defender in the top 20 defenders in the league. Alot of defenders would be selected in the top 6 or so teams.

Our ball movement form the defensive is horrible.
You have to give them some time though. Luke Ryan has only played two games. We aren't even playing Crozier at half back but I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up back there before season's end. Weller has been a bit inconsistent but I think he's done very well for his first season as a defender.

All three of those guys are better kicks than JJ imo but somehow he is going to be the answer to all our problems with ball movement. He's surrounded by some pretty good ball users at the Dogs which allows him to have the impact he does. I strongly doubt he'd have the same impact playing for us atm. If we aren't even going to give those on our list a chance to prove themselves at AFL level in year 1 (or 2) of a rebuild what's the point of drafting them in the first place?

Depth not quality. We wouldn't have any defender in the top 20 defenders in the league
so much this

Ibbo definitely is
..and Ibbo started as a mid.

Crozier isn't a defender. I thought his games last year as a rebounding def last year showed some positive signs, however.....His game against Richmond down back was so putrid he nearly single-handedly cost us the win. Not good enough for a bloke in his 6th year with 60 games into him.

Croz looked so much better playing his natural high hf against Carlton. The truth is if he doesn't start to show signs that he's closing the gap between his best and worst he not helping the team progress. He simply has to start contributing each week, and when he's getting beaten work himself back into the game (he should chat to Walters). You can forgive 1st/2nd year players for going missing, but not players who should be leaders.

You have to give them some time though. Luke Ryan has only played two games. We aren't even playing Crozier at half back but I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up back there before season's end. Weller has been a bit inconsistent but I think he's done very well for his first season as a defender.

All three of those guys are better kicks than JJ imo but somehow he is going to be the answer to all our problems with ball movement. He's surrounded by some pretty good ball users at the Dogs which allows him to have the impact he does. I strongly doubt he'd have the same impact playing for us atm. If we aren't even going to give those on our list a chance to prove themselves at AFL level in year 1 (or 2) of a rebuild what's the point of drafting them in the first place?
JJ for me isn't the answer. Too much money and we need a quarter back with great skills.

Only Hamling and Weller has shown to me that they will make it. That leaves 5 spots to fill.

Alex Pearce has shown to me that can make if he gets over his injuries.

Logue, Hughes, Cox and Ryan are all in the team and should be given time. But do you expect them to all come on?

Sutcliffe and Collins are solid but skills are lacking.

Duman, and Nyhuis are no shoe ins.

Getting one or two talent backs will help and if we get too many quality backs, Weller can be moved into the midfield.

We need to give our current group of small defenders a go. I'm not talking about Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Ibbotson etc, I'm talking about the younger group like Hughes, Ryan, Logue and Nyhuis. There's Duman as well who may be able to be added to that list if he spends some decent time in the gym over the off season. The problem at the moment seems to be confidence as much as ability. Ibbotson, Sutcliffe, Sheridan and Spurr all have it in them to play very good footy, we've seen that from 2013-2015, but were able to play far more confidently when surrounded by McPharlin, Duffield and a much better Michael Johnson. Unless we can add a good mature aged player with AFL experience I'm not sure they'll add much more than we already have, especially with Carter coming through in 2018. I'm not necessarily saying we should just forget about it this year but I'd rather use our first rounder on a key forward. After that our priorities should be small forwards and midfield depth (I'm hoping we bring in a mature ruck through trading). I'd only add one rebounding defender at most preferably one with AFL experience.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need to give our current group of small defenders a go. I'm not talking about Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Ibbotson etc, I'm talking about the younger group like Hughes, Ryan, Logue and Nyhuis. There's Duman as well who may be able to be added to that list if he spends some decent time in the gym over the off season. The problem at the moment seems to be confidence as much as ability. Ibbotson, Sutcliffe, Sheridan and Spurr all have it in them to play very good footy, we've seen that from 2013-2015, but were able to play far more confidently when surrounded by McPharlin, Duffield and a much better Michael Johnson. Unless we can add a good mature aged player with AFL experience I'm not sure they'll add much more than we already have, especially with Carter coming through in 2018. I'm not necessarily saying we should just forget about it this year but I'd rather use our first rounder on a key forward. After that our priorities should be small forwards and midfield depth (I'm hoping we bring in a mature ruck through trading). I'd only add one rebounding defender at most preferably one with AFL experience.

Roger Hayden came from the rookie draft, so I think we could use later picks to find more plug and
play types.
Even Balla was an excellent pick, compared to the eagles going to the draft for Swift, as apparently
both clubs were keen.

Roger Hayden came from the rookie draft, so I think we could use later picks to find more plug and
play types.
Even Balla was an excellent pick, compared to the eagles going to the draft for Swift, as apparently
both clubs were keen.

JJ came from the Western Bulldogs rookie list.

Our only Grand final defensive team consisted of 3 rookie listers (Dawson went back onto St Kilda Rookie list), one pre-season pick, one late ND picks and one top 10 pick. IMO they didn't lose us the grand final.

Guys, regardless of where we are currently at with backmen, we absolutely have enough young and developing defenders to let it go for a couple of years. Cox, Ryan, Hamling, Pearce, Collins, Weller, Logue, Nyhuis, Hughes. How many young defenders do you want on the list? I think we can make an awesome back 6 out of that lot and there is plenty of young quality to work with.

If starts to look like some of them will completely bust we can look at getting more "general defenders" in a few drafts. For now, stock up on quality mids or a KPF

Anyone else a little concerned that Logue might be one of those early bloomer types that has hit his peak physically and while he will improve the footy side of things , will only ever get to the ' handy ' level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else a little concerned that Logue might be one of those early bloomer types that has hit his peak physically and while he will improve the footy side of things , will only ever get to the ' handy ' level

All depends on his composure. I think he has shown that he has the skill and physical attributes needed. He is currently playing like a deer in the headlights though which makes him look very average. If he can gain some composure and confidence he'll look 5 x the player we have seen at AFL level.

While we're at it I would love to see Tucker get some CC as well. I don't think we'll see the best of him until he feels like he belongs and knows what his role is.

Taberner could do with some also but I'm afraid he doesn't have a football brain.

If the criteria for getting dropped at Freo included "inability to hit targets", Joel Hamling* would be playing by himself this week.

*Actually, I just looked up our best Effective Disposals Eff % player and it's Lee Spurr by a mile. He's 14th in the league (Matt DeBoer is 11th)

Misleading stat that one , too many backline " get out " kicks sideways that ruin any chance of a quick transition

Fremantle also have access to the sons of former WAFL players who made 150 appearances for East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Perth or Swan Districts before the Dockers joined the AFL in 1995.

Are we talking about Maurice Rioli who played 168 games for South Fremantle?

Are we talking about Maurice Rioli who played 168 games for South Fremantle?

This rule was only in place until 31st October 2015. All these WAFL and SANFL father son rules have expired with Port Adelaide's being the last in 2017.

Like normal the rules are geared towards Victorian sides. Maurice Rioli played at Richmond from 1982-1987 before it became a national comp and long before Fremantle the AFL club existed. We can only select father sons from players who played 100 games for Fremantle. How many players realistically would have played enough games for Fremantle AND have a son old enough now. Not impossible but quite unlikely for 5-10 years.

Collingwood has three father sons on their list (and Travis Cloke who's obviously moved on), Western Bulldogs have four. Between them West Coast, Adelaide, Fremantle and Port Adelaide have one. Outside of the two recent expansions clubs Richmond, Hawthorn and Sydney are the only other clubs without father sons on their list, having said that Hawthorn traded Josh Kennedy to Sydney and Sydney Tom Mitchell the other way. Ok rant over now.

Last edited:

lolwut, bit early yet mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back