2017 UK General Election - The Verdict: It's MAYDUP

Fellow Qualifying Commonwealth Citizens - Who Do you Prefer?

• Conservative and Unionist Party

• Labour Party

• Liberal Democrats

• Scottish National Party

• Plaid Cymru

• Sinn Féin

• Democratic Unionist Party

• United Kingdom Independence Party

• Social Democratic & Labour Party

• Green Party

• John Bercow- Hear Ye Hear Ye!

• May Will Stay

• May Will Go

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
ALP here might be tempted to go for one nation vote

My pitch would be the govt has innocents locked up on Manaus while terrorists and would be terrorists roam free on the mainland

To the above poster telling me to give it up. I never said corbyn went after the UKIP vote. I merely implied tapping into disgruntled voters
However the vote in uk was unstable partly because UKIPs vote collapsed

Am I also right in saying UKIP never got a sitting MP? If that it's shows the Tories were soft to set up the referendum

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I think you're better off letting the point go.

Disgruntled UKIP voters didn't shift to Corbyn's Labour (as you originally suggested). In fact, Labor's David Winnick lost his Walsall seat partially off the back of UKIP's collapse and its voters going to the Conservatives. See here:
https://www.expressandstar.com/news...id-winnick-loses-seat-he-had-held-since-1979/
Winnick speaks about this at 9.00 mins:

Actually there is an interesting vox pop with a disgruntled UKIP voter at 4.28. Like most Sun reading, recent UKIP voters, he wouldn't vote for Corbyn in a pink fit.

In the Australian context, One Nation originally arose with disgruntled Lib/Nat voters, which is a well established fact. Howard was so worried about bleeding more of his conservative base to One Nation that he the shifted the Coalition further to the right to keep them. Hanson was also considered enough of a threat to the Lib/Nat base that he gave Abbott the the job of stitching her up.

Sure, there will be some UKIP and ON voters who, when their party is flailing, give their vote to Labor/Labour. But they would be significantly in the minority.

See my post I never said what you are attributing to me. You said it

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
See my post I never said what you are attributing to me. You said it
Okay, well you seemed to be insinuating that UK Labour had tapped into UKIP, hence your comment that the ALP 'go for the one nation vote'. I was pointing out how unlikely either scenario is. Then you went on to suggest the ON vote in WA went to Labour. Hence the context of my post.

Anyway, perhaps we have our wires crossed....

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Okay, well you seemed to be insinuating that UK Labour had tapped into UKIP, hence your comment that the ALP 'go for the one nation vote'. I was pointing out how unlikely either scenario is. Then you went on to suggest the ON vote in WA went to Labour. Hence the context of my post.

Anyway, perhaps we have our wires crossed....

In another post I said the Tories had failed to tap into the protest vote yet had been happy to say Brexit every other sentence

I wondered if they had misread the mood
18% evaporating in the opinion polls suggests they misread something

I did wonder if all the Brexit vote (not the UKIP vote) was naturally conservative. I honestly wondered that. But I didn't post it

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Also UK is very different. If Libs had even tried to cut services including the army and police as obviously as mays govt had. Not even the Murdoch press would fail to put the boot into them

Amazing they were so antagonistic to labour under the circumstances in the UK

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
In another post I said the Tories had failed to tap into the protest vote yet had been happy to say Brexit every other sentence

I wondered if they had misread the mood
18% evaporating in the opinion polls suggests they misread something

I did wonder if all the Brexit vote (not the UKIP vote) was naturally conservative. I honestly wondered that. But I didn't post it

Given how much ground they lost i'd say they've misread a hell of a lot.

I don't think all the Brexit vote is naturally conservative, though most of it is. I can't recall exactly, but I recall reading somewhere that about 30% of people who identified as Labour voted to leave, while it's close to 60% for people identifying as Tory.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Given how much ground they lost i'd say they've misread a hell of a lot.

I don't think all the Brexit vote is naturally conservative, though most of it is. I can't recall exactly, but I recall reading somewhere that about 30% of people who identified as Labour voted to leave, while it's close to 60% for people identifying as Tory.
Wasn't the majors split on brexit age based rather than political leaning?

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Also UK is very different. If Libs had even tried to cut services including the army and police as obviously as mays govt had. Not even the Murdoch press would fail to put the boot into them

Amazing they were so antagonistic to labour under the circumstances in the UK

Seems the push to cut services hurt the Tories badly in the end. It was incredibly cynical: run an election while in an 'unlosable position', under the cover of the brexit issue, and attempt to get a mandate on the sly to cut social services. Many seemed to see this for what it was, and haven't given May a mandate as a result. As for the British Press, well, their hatred of Corbyn is so deeply ideological that I can't say I'm surprised.

Seems the push to cut services hurt the Tories badly in the end. It was incredibly cynical: run an election while in an 'unlosable position', under the cover of the brexit issue, and attempt to get a mandate on the sly to cut social services. Many seemed to see this for what it was, and haven't given May a mandate as a result. As for the British Press, well, their hatred of Corbyn is so deeply ideological that I can't say I'm surprised.
May is still making it all about Brext. She hasn't got it.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
So May was hoping for an increased majority and a mandate for Brexit, and instead will have to deal with the most left wing Labour Party in years as well as these guys:

I almost feel sorry for her.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
Honestly I just ignore the UK tabloid press, but on the other side some of the wounded bitterness and desperate scepticism, hidden behind rather positive coverage of Corbyn from the likes of the Guardian, is thoroughly enjoyable. Posh entitled white middle class Oxbridge "left leaning" journalists, who bandy about phrases like problematic, yet despise any true progressive, are currently squirming over months of pro-PLP anti-Corbyn coverage. The derisive "unelectable" moniker is looking especially daft.

am a fairly avid reader of the UK guardian, was only in the last few weeks and months some of the opinion writers started to jump on jeremy's bandwagon after slinging s**t for so long. also an avid reader of daily mail... been a while but can't wait to see what they're saying about the election, in between stories about cheeky curves and pert bottoms.

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
This would be like if Shorten/Turnbull had to form a coalition with One Nation to win government.

It will end in tears, guaranteed. Miracle if she survives five years.

Agreed.

And you can be certain there is plotting going on behind closed doors to bring about the downfall of Theresa May as British PM.

To make things even worse, the Brexit negotiations starts in 11 days time. And the EU will play hardball over the British 'divorce' from the Union. May is now wishing she shouldn't have called the snap election in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Conservatives and DUP haven't formed a coalition government. DUP has agreed to give confidence (not bring down the government) and supply (pass budgets). It's a Conservative minority government. It's a very important distinction to make.

Like how the Gillard Labor government was a minority government not a coalition government with the Greens like disingenuous Liberals pretended for years.

May will have more trouble with her backbench than the DUP.

Conservatives and DUP haven't formed a coalition government. DUP has agreed to give confidence (not bring down the government) and supply (pass budgets). It's a Conservative minority government. It's a very important distinction to make.

Like how the Gillard Labor government was a minority government not a coalition government with the Greens like disingenuous Liberals pretended for years.

Fair points.

Still, what does the DUP get in return for confidence and supply? Does Britain really want the government to push towards the right?

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Fair points.

Still, what does the DUP get in return for confidence and supply? Does Britain really want the government to push towards the right?

It will be fraught with danger. Metropolitan mainlanders won't be pleased with socially regressive policies done to appease religious turds in a part of the country they do not and will never give a s**t about.

I've no insight into the political scene of Northern Ireland but this thread of tweets should give everyone pause

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast

Well she can't form an official coalition. It would be in violation of the Good Friday Agreement.

The DUP also legally can't vote on many bills, only participate in Brexit and vote on legislation effecting the entire UK.

In fact, the second May attempts to mediate the resumption of power sharing, as is the governments role, she will also be in violation of the GFA.

This is a wanton abuse of democratic norms and risks the resumption of the troubles. It is vile and irresponsible.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/09/dup-conservative-pact-lacks-democratic-legitimacy

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
I've no insight into the political scene of Northern Ireland but this thread of tweets should give everyone pause

They are also terrorist sympathisers, whose key players helped found a gun running terrorist group.

Their leader is also completely corrupt. She was responsible for a massive financial scandal that could cost the taxpayers a billion+.

Once her involvement became apparent, she refused to resign. The head of Sinn Fein then resigned from his position from the Gov in protest. Thus Fosters actions caused the executive of the parliament to collapse.

Essentially NI has been without a functioning government.

The huge issue is, that for the executive to be reconvened, the British government needs to mediate between Sinn Fein and the DUP. It now can't however, because the UK government has to be of impartial position, according to the Good Friday Agreement, when talks resume. Since the Tories are in a loose coalition with the DUP, which will be reinforced by legislative action, they can no longer be seen to be acting impartially and with good faith. Sinn Fein have already protested the violation.

May has single handedly compromised the peace process.

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
So the Conservatives won, in the sense that they can't lose. Sort of.
Well you cant see the Northern Irish Protestants vote with IRA's best mate Corbyn, plus they probably want brexit as much as anyone the harder the better. I cant see them being any different to the Nationals here pay them money over the odds for their seats benefit and they will vote yes on anything you tell them too.

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well she can't form an official coalition. It would be in violation of the Good Friday Agreement.

The DUP also legally can't vote on many bills, only participate in Brexit and vote on legislation effecting the entire UK.

In fact, the second May attempts to mediate the resumption of power sharing, as is the governments role, she will also be in violation of the GFA.

This is a wanton abuse of democratic norms and risks the resumption of the troubles. It is vile and irresponsible.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/09/dup-conservative-pact-lacks-democratic-legitimacy
Its politics.

Dont forget the Lib Dems will probably vote with the conservatives on many economic issues anyway

Back